Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2012, 07:11 AM   #1149

no title
Budd-Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #1150

Well.. Ive been wanting an RV for a while.. and last week saw an RV, a 1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Crusier 34 foot long for sale for $13,999. I spoke to the dealership that had it and found that its mechanically OK. It has a Ford 460 with an auto tranny, tandem back end. Everything works. Floors repaired due to leaks so no carpet in it, but nice hardwood floor. Has leveling jacks, not sure if it has a Generator. The blue pain on the outside looks like its losing its clear coat... It only has 50,000 km on it. It might require a new front windshield to put back on the road
. The slide out works perfectly

So mechanically and inside looks great, needs a fresh coat of paint to look pretty again.

So... there I am surfing the web reading what I can and find similar units for 13K to 28K. Have you ever had one of those days when your being too lucky? Well I emailed him an offer of $5,500 to take it off his lot before the snow comes.

I am now the proud owner of a new for me, previously enjoyed Scenic Cruiser.

Now, I know she will get all new fluids over the winter, she will get her roof repainted next spring, and I'll be putting new tires on her just for safety sake, but even if it costs me 3 or 4 grand to make right I still think I got a great deal

OK, here are the pictures

The shagging aread

Gank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #1151

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gank View Post
Well.. Ive been wanting an RV for a while.. and last week saw an RV, a 1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Crusier 34 foot long for sale for $13,999. I spoke to the dealership that had it and found that its mechanically OK. It has a Ford 460 with an auto tranny, tandem back end. Everything works. Floors repaired due to leaks so no carpet in it, but nice hardwood floor. Has leveling jacks, not sure if it has a Generator. The blue pain on the outside looks like its losing its clear coat... It only has 50,000 km on it. It might require a new front windshield to put back on the road
. The slide out works perfectly

So mechanically and inside looks great, needs a fresh coat of paint to look pretty again.

So... there I am surfing the web reading what I can and find similar units for 13K to 28K. Have you ever had one of those days when your being too lucky? Well I emailed him an offer of $5,500 to take it off his lot before the snow comes.

I am now the proud owner of a new for me, previously enjoyed Scenic Cruiser.

Now, I know she will get all new fluids over the winter, she will get her roof repainted next spring, and I'll be putting new tires on her just for safety sake, but even if it costs me 3 or 4 grand to make right I still think I got a great deal

OK, here are the pictures
Best of luck with your "new" motorhome. At $5,500 you certainly got a significant amount off the advertised price, and at the end of the day can't really go "too" wrong with spending that little ... in the perspective of purchasing a motorhome.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #1152

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
That hs 'Needs ZEP' written all over it

nice job..

DOUBLE CHECK THAT ROOF LEAK!
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #1153

Gank, looks like you got a great deal. Kept going over the pictures looke for something major, didn't see it, only a minor drawer fix. Give us a progress report occasionally.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #1154

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbro View Post
I looked all over the web. Then one day I overheard a conversation where a friend of my wife was telling how they ended up with two motorhomes and needed to sell one. I ask a few questions and the next week was driving it home from Virginia. Just keep looking, put the word out that your looking. Right now is a good time to buy a motorhome.

Also, keep in mind to kinda know what the price ranges are for the kind of RV you're looking for and, the condition it's in. That way you'll know when you find a good deal. Make sure to also check the condition of the tires as old tires are dangerous so, you may have that as an extra expense. Then, look for water damage. A little leak that was repaired may not be a big deal but, you have to check and be sure. Sometimes a motorhome can be ruined and you wont know it without paying attention to things like mold, soft spots, etc.. If you find one you love but, find that it has major water damage, keep looking. Most people can't repair that correctly and it can be a huge job.

Things I wouldn't worry too much about, for me, would be like, a generator that turns over but, wont start. If the seller says they were in the habit of not exercising the generator it's almost certainly the carb. That's an easy fix. Leaks in the plumbing are pretty easy to fix, cosmetic stuff, some chassis repairs, etc.. Harbor Freight became my friend when I needed to make repairs, 12 ton jacks, brake lights for the toad, etc..

Have fun and don't get in a hurry but, don't pass when you find what you're looking for. There is no perfect situation but, you can get real close. My chassis is a Chevy P-30. I haven't had the heat issues that people talk about. The front brake lines were replaced already when I bought mine. So, I just drive it.
I did a lot of looking and decided to invest in my old 1985. It's really in good shape. It's just not powerful enough.I decided to avoid the highest mountains and keep it The engine is very reliable and now that I have replaced the hot water heater everything works on it. So this winter I'll re-do some of the interior like put in new floor and repaper the ceiling. The previous owner sealed all the windows and roof better than any I've ever seen so although it is not pretty in some spots, it is completely leak proof. Since I could only afford another older model, it just makes sense to keep the one I have. It actually did make it up Raton Pass, but it was doing only 15mph with my Smart car in tow.
texasdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #1155

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to JMacy
Nice looking unit. What fun you will have in it!
Old 11-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #1156

Only thing I see is that I would keep on kicking the step up on that slide out as it stretches from the living room into the kitchen, but theres nothing you can do about that.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #1157

Hey everyone! New to the forums...
Here is my 1982 34' Airstream Limited

Air E Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #1158

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
NOw, thats nice...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #1159

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air E Dawg View Post
Hard to believe it's 30 years old. Thanks for taking the bubble wrap off before you took the pics!

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #1160

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air E Dawg View Post
Very nice ... should have warned me to put on my sunglasses first
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #1161

Wow, that is shiny! Beautiful!
Old 11-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #1162
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Nicely restored Air Stream....

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote