Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2013, 05:39 AM   #1233

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
As most of you know, when you purchase a 'slightly used' RV, there's always someone else's interpretation on how it could be done better. Usually better means the cheapest, easiest way to do repair. ....

I've got plenty of time, just need to pay off the beast first, so I can get started on all of these 'upgrades' In the meantime, I've purchased a couple of polisher/buffers to polish the exterior aluminum to a mirror shine!

Thanks, Derek
With that kind of thoughtful restoration, repair, and upgrading, you will truly have a rolling showpiece! The only problem you will be creating for yourself is finding the time at campgrounds to talk to all the interested people! You'll probably have to make up one of those signboards you see in museums with pictures and narrative to explain what it is and what you've done to it....
TitanicPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
As most of you know, when you purchase a 'slightly used' RV, there's always someone else's interpretation on how it could be done better. Usually better means the cheapest, easiest way to do repair.

And least I forget, instead of repairing the exterior hose reel, someone just pitched it and rigged some sort of awful fresh water contraption at rear bumper (which leaks like a sieve) Was able to find replacement shower pan and replacement fresh water hose reel from fellow Airstream'r who's gutting same size model as I have. WHEW!

I've got plenty of time, just need to pay off the beast first, so I can get started on all of these 'upgrades' In the meantime, I've purchased a couple of polisher/buffers to polish the exterior aluminum to a mirror shine!

Thanks, Derek

Hi Derek,

You sound like you fit in the group of those who feel = if it is worth fixing; it is worth doing it right the first time.

I like to think I'm in that group too.

BTW - If you be so kind - I love to have any and all info on that hose reel I see in the last picture. What brand name is it? Where one might find one?
What size it is? and what size hose can one hav eon it?
The only ones I have seen are for shops and they a much bigger than that one and there is no room in our coach(es) for one that big.

We own very rare 22' long coaches and I hate the design for rolling up a hose and tucking it into a small pocket door on the side of the coach.
It also restricts what size hose one can have.

I'd also hope to find a small reel for the electric cord too. It has the same problem and the cord length is restricted to the size of the pocket it fits in.

Many Thanks a head of time!

Sincerely Tony

Here are two of our coaches. We curretnly have four and Lord willing 1 more coming this year.
Why so many you might ask? We want to have a museum of working Ultravans.
We plan to use each and everyone as they were meant to be - enjoy traveling and camping in them.
UV Owners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #1235

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanicPilot View Post
With that kind of thoughtful restoration, repair, and upgrading, you will truly have a rolling showpiece! The only problem you will be creating for yourself is finding the time at campgrounds to talk to all the interested people! You'll probably have to make up one of those signboards you see in museums with pictures and narrative to explain what it is and what you've done to it....

Dave,

We have that problem too with our Ultravan(s) no matter what shape they are in.
Even what I call our Ugly Duckling(s).

Here is Ultravan #256 with our 63 Corvair 95 Truck (aka a Rampside).
Both of them need body work and paint.
People still come over to see it and ask all kinds of questions..
Marie and I enjoy talking to them and seeing their faces; when they ask what is that?
Note: The 8by11 write ups on doors of both.
They are in a plastic sheet protector used for ring binder note books.
I leave the plastic sheet protector taped to the inside of the door.
When the write up get sun faded or ruined I simply replace it by pulling out the old one and sliding in a new one.. GGG
Old 01-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #1236

I love this thread. Here are a few pictures of my first motorhome after many years of travel trailers and 5th wheels. It is a 1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial on a P30 chassis. Wow did we love this motorhome. Most of these pics were taken after we had remodeled much of the interior. To this day, it's one of my favorites. We sold this one in 2003 and bought a 1995 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, which was sold in 2012 when we bought our present DP. This one is one of my favorites.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC00046.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	32574   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1260004.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	393.7 KB
ID:	32575  

Name:	P1260007.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	377.6 KB
ID:	32576   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1260010.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	377.8 KB
ID:	32577  

Name:	P1260006.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	330.9 KB
ID:	32578   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1260009.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	322.2 KB
ID:	32579  

Name:	P1260011.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	333.3 KB
ID:	32580  
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:44 AM   #1237

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV Owners View Post
Hi Derek,

You sound like you fit in the group of those who feel = if it is worth fixing; it is worth doing it right the first time.

I like to think I'm in that group too.

BTW - If you be so kind - I love to have any and all info on that hose reel I see in the last picture. What brand name is it? Where one might find one?
What size it is? and what size hose can one hav eon it?
The only ones I have seen are for shops and they a much bigger than that one and there is no room in our coach(es) for one that big.

We own very rare 22' long coaches and I hate the design for rolling up a hose and tucking it into a small pocket door on the side of the coach.
It also restricts what size hose one can have.

I'd also hope to find a small reel for the electric cord too. It has the same problem and the cord length is restricted to the size of the pocket it fits in.

Many Thanks a head of time!

Sincerely Tony

Here are two of our coaches. We curretnly have four and Lord willing 1 more coming this year.
Why so many you might ask? We want to have a museum of working Ultravans.
We plan to use each and everyone as they were meant to be - enjoy traveling and camping in them.
There is an Ultravan on EBay right now. It is a V8 model in rough shape. Very cool rigs.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #1238

Thanks. If you are talking about UV352, I think it sold and now they are hoping to flip it for more. However, the price they purchased it for the first time is what it is worth. Also it is not a factory V8.. Someone did this after the fact.

FYI - This coach was on the TV show hoarders. I even contacted A&E and try to buy it to help the guy out. I had asked them to pass my info to him and they would NOT even do that. I heard they wanted to watch all the vehicles, 100's, get crushed to help their ratings. I don't watch that TV show or much of anything on A&E any more.

To hide under the privacy act and not be willing to give a person my number is studip..

Tony
Old 01-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #1239

Hose Reel

Hi,

Attaching more detailed photos of the hose reel I had shown before. Fair warning, this beast weights THIRTY pounds! My Airstream has the electrical reel as well, no idea if electrical reel is made by some company or not. No way for me to check that fact either at the moment. Just know this, anyone contemplating adding this wonderful option, it does come at a big weight gain.
I'm about to start tearing mine apart and possibly getting it mounted in Airstream. All depends if I work a 5 day week, or 6 day week ahead!
Thanks, Derek`
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	018.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	367.2 KB
ID:	32706   Click image for larger version

Name:	017.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	32707  

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	32708   Click image for larger version

Name:	015.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	32709  

crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #1240

Derek and I are Airforum buddies, and I back his comments...
Yes, they are heavy...
But worth it!

Here are mine before and after the refurb...
Water reel...

After with 35' of new hose...

Electrical reel before..

And after...
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #1241

Just to clarify...
Maybe Airstream Motorhomes are unique... the 345 that Derek and I have, are normally equiped with water and electrical reels tucked in a rear compartments..
Here is mine, after the refurb..

The compartment is the polished door on the lower rocker in this pic... the holes allow the cables/hoses to be attached and still close the door..
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:13 AM   #1242

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
I love this thread. Here are a few pictures of my first motorhome after many years of travel trailers and 5th wheels. It is a 1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial on a P30 chassis. Wow did we love this motorhome. Most of these pics were taken after we had remodeled much of the interior. To this day, it's one of my favorites. We sold this one in 2003 and bought a 1995 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, which was sold in 2012 when we bought our present DP. This one is one of my favorites.
That sure is beautiful inside!
Funrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #1243

Thank you both!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #1244

The compartment is the polished door on the lower rocker in this pic... the holes allow the cables/hoses to be attached and still close the door..
And I'm just hoping that if I can get enough forum members to 'twist' Keyair's arm, that maybe he'll volunteer to polish my Airstream as well.

Steve, maybe post some pix of your beginning to current polish job here for others to appreciate???
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:38 PM   #1245

1993 Itasca 23' with 34,000 miles in excellent shape
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC03623.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	32872  
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:13 AM   #1246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
Don't you mean, Now it is just take it to the Dealer and say |"Something broke, let me know when it's fixed, pay the man".

I taught my Children to diagnose, fix and enjoy! Now I'm teaching my 2.5 year old Grandson. He loves telling people "Me and PaPa fix it"! He will spend hours in the shop with me when he visits, and I always find my tool box re arranged after he's gone. He loves tools. And has already figured out righty tighty, lefty loosey!
I have never had a New Car, nor have I ever taken a car I own to a Dealership to repair. Company Trucks yea, but only because my Bosses told me I couldn't fix them myself!
I've hauled transmissoins to a Transmission shop to have them go through it because I was busy, but I pulled it and reinstalled it.
I've always built my cars or trucks! Or kept them going till the wheels fall off!
Same thing with my Coach!
It's what keep me entertained!
I like the way you think, "Fixing" things is What my hobby is, I like the challenge of trying to either fix it back the way it was or make it better than the original design,
When I was young and had to call a guy to rewire something or install something I always watched and told my wife "Heck I coulda done that" it was like I flipped a switch in my head and I aint never looked back,
Now I don't trust anybody to work on my stuff coz most of them don't seem to know what they are doing,
I am just not happy unless I have a project to work on, I think about it all day at work and come home to work on it, A motorhome fits me to a teee,
our newest car is an 02 has everything a new one does , except the monthly payment, woohoo, we can buy more diesel and take longer trips,
1992 Country Coach Magna 300 hp Cummins 4 speed Allison, 113,000 miles, Coach #4904.."Ramblin'" Rosie
benford is offline   Reply With Quote