Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2013, 05:44 AM   #1303

Quote:
Originally Posted by amccready2 View Post
Well i ripped out the ugly 1970's shag carpet in front, it was't letting the engine cover seal properly making it super loud in the cab. I replaced most of the bulbs in the interior, the problem is finding lens covers that fit, so I might have to get crafty and either make some or just replace the whole lighting unit. I am going to take it to a mechanic to put 2 new front tires on and fix the exhaust leak, brakes and maybe give the old boy a good tune up.
Welcome to the forum! Those lens covers are still available at any good RV store, just make sure the bulbs aren't such a high wattage that they fry the new lens covers. LED replacements are the best solutions. As to your tires, if any of them have a date code older than 7 years they should be replaced. Sorry.
TitanicPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #1304

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by amccready2 View Post
Well i ripped out the ugly 1970's shag carpet in front, it was't letting the engine cover seal properly making it super loud in the cab. I replaced most of the bulbs in the interior, the problem is finding lens covers that fit, so I might have to get crafty and either make some or just replace the whole lighting unit. I am going to take it to a mechanic to put 2 new front tires on and fix the exhaust leak, brakes and maybe give the old boy a good tune up.
Well if you find replacement lenses for your "reflect-o-lite" lamps please let me know when you get them! I've been searching for the correct replacement lenses for our old lamps, but I haven't been able to find an on-line supplier... A similar lens is available in most RV stores but the ones I've found so far are not exactly the same. The mounting lugs are different and they need some modification to make them work with the reflect-o-lite housing. We have a couple of the modified lenses and they dont look or work as good as the originals.

Mine -

I really want to keep the original fixtures in our RV and I'm hoping to find the correct lenses eventually....

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/12v-interior-light-lens-cover-148757.html

Best of luck in bringing your new rv back to great condition!
Blag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #1305

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoney View Post
Thanks for sharing Tumbleweed. Finally someone posts a rig older than mine, lol!
How old is yours and do you happen to know what page it is on?

Thanks, Tony
UV Owners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #1306

I just ordered some LED lights on E Bay from a Supplier in China, that have an adapter that allows the LED ciruit board to plug into the 1156 bulb socket. The board attaches with double sided tape inside the OEM Fixture!
No more dull lighting!
The LED lights were less than $2 each but adding in the shipping made them triple the price .
But, if you try and buy them from a US suppler they will cost you $15 or more each just for the bulbs!

I ordered 25, so I could replace all my interior and exterior lights and the total cost came out to $86.00. Not bad considering a LED Fixture would cost $38. each. And I have 22 fixtures. So I will have 3 spares!

These LED bulbs are Dome Light Replacements just so you'll know.
Should be plenty bright enough, last a long time and save me a lot on my battery drain.

I'll be replacing the dash lights next.
They also sell LED Tail light replacement bulbs (1157 dual element)
Those will be third investment in my old girl.

Thinking about installing some LED rope lighting along the floor and under the cabinets.

One last thing, during my refurbish I'll be installing OEM Style light switches on the wall (like on the wall in a house)to save me from having to turn on each overhead light individually, since they will be Low Drain LED's. Then I can turn off those I don't need with the overhead switches on the individual fixtures. I get so tired of having to walk through my Coach and have reach up and flip on and off 22 individual light fixtures.

Solar Panels and a wind generator will be after that!
Then flat screen TV"s!

My old Fleetwood is about to hit the road again this Summer after the wife retires.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #1307

pulled the carpet up today..found some retro green tile..to go with the retro yellow of the counters and fridge..and too think these was high market items back in the day.
LaZy507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #1308

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Love that green flooring! Checkout our 1973 Winnebago Brave's orange carpet and mustard colored bathroom sink!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	34897   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	34898  

Name:	MVC-001F.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	34899   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	34900  

Mr Miyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #1309

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
I just ordered some LED lights on E Bay from a Supplier in China, that have an adapter that allows the LED ciruit board to plug into the 1156 bulb socket. The board attaches with double sided tape inside the OEM Fixture!
No more dull lighting!
The LED lights were less than $2 each but adding in the shipping made them triple the price .
But, if you try and buy them from a US suppler they will cost you $15 or more each just for the bulbs!

I ordered 25, so I could replace all my interior and exterior lights and the total cost came out to $86.00. Not bad considering a LED Fixture would cost $38. each. And I have 22 fixtures. So I will have 3 spares!

Should be plenty bright enough, last a long time and save me a lot on my battery drain.

Thinking about installing some LED rope lighting along the floor and under the cabinets.

One last thing, during my refurbish I'll be installing OEM Style light switches on the wall (like on the wall in a house)to save me from having to turn on each overhead light individually, since they will be Low Drain LED's. Then I can turn off those I don't need with the overhead switches on the individual fixtures. I get so tired of having to walk through my Coach and have reach up and flip on and off 22 individual light fixtures.

Then flat screen TV"s!

My old Fleetwood is about to hit the road again this Summer after the wife retires.
Where did you go to find those, thanks Don
Old 03-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #1310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
No more dull lighting!

Then flat screen TV"s!

Hi Curtis! Sounds pretty neat!! Any chance that you might be taking any pictures of all that and posting some? I think my old Limited would benefit from some better interior lighting also. Hope all is well with you and yours and if you ever get out to the west coast, I have 5 acres here and you and yours are welcome to park!
big-dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #1311

The "rig" is the wooden box on top of the 1950 Ford.
This was 1957, Itaska State Park, MN.
8x10 tent, 7 peeps.
No hookups, hangups, or worries.

Dave

Name:	image-367159779.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	438.9 KB
ID:	34953
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:15 AM   #1312

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Weed View Post
Wow very impressed with every ones rig.
A walk through history..
I wish I could see them in person..
If you want to see them in person, check out www.TinCanTourists.com to find a TCT rally near you. Most rallies have "open house" times, in which the public is invited in to view the vintage trailers and RV's.
bryguymi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #1313

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
The "rig" is the wooden box on top of the 1950 Ford.
This was 1957, Itaska State Park, MN.
8x10 tent, 7 peeps.
No hookups, hangups, or worries.

Dave
Lots of great rainy camping memories from our tent days.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #1314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Weed View Post
Where did you go to find those, thanks Don
They are on E BAy Don under LED's. Look for Automotive dome or RV lighting! Try and pick the brightest ones you can find.

big-dan thanks for the offer, but we usually don't go into California in the MH anymore. But we do like Oregon and Washington. Had to quit going into Canada too! They don't appreciate my gun racks! Most of our trips are North into the Dakoka Badlands or Moab Utah. (I like to Rock Crawl Moab and Farmington in my 4X4.)
We too live on some acreage in the Country and if you're ever passing through the North Central Texas area give me a shout. I have 2 outside RV plug ins and a dump station here at the place. My Coach stays inside the shop.

We're right down the road (10 miles) from the Texas Motor Speedway. Some of my old racing buddies have been known to park their RV's here and Toad to the Track.

And I'll throw this invitation out to you guys here if you're ever passing through and need to stop for the night before you tackle the DFW traffic. Feel free to contact me. We're North West of Fort Worth about 25 miles.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #1315

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Custom Motor Homes

I thought I would share some pics of these one-of-a-kind motorhomes. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	65Saab.png
Views:	150
Size:	274.1 KB
ID:	35319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream.png
Views:	345
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	35320  

Name:	American Airstream caravan.png
Views:	293
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	35321   Click image for larger version

Name:	American woody estate car.png
Views:	396
Size:	415.9 KB
ID:	35322  

Name:	Saab 95.png
Views:	172
Size:	433.4 KB
ID:	35324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tonke.png
Views:	194
Size:	319.6 KB
ID:	35326  

Name:	untitled.png
Views:	160
Size:	341.2 KB
ID:	35327  
Attached Images

Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #1316

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I agree with you--I have a 1996 HP Vacationer ES--we love it-we have spent only close to $3000--I only have $10,000 in it and we camp every month--just keeping up with maintainence and restoring as I go along--I too will be glad when mine finally gets to the "vintage status" and can posts my pics--Vince
vscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote