Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #883

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Sure:
Hard to believe it's 40+ years old, must have been stored indoors most of it's life.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #884

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomask View Post
She looks great,well cared for, and a classic.

Do you have any plans or needs for restoration? Have you thought about a little wire brushing of the wheels, bumper, and hitch with a little paint would make her very happy she has a great new owner.

Thank you for your service to our country and many safe travels.
Thank you! She's got some wrinkles and scars - after all, she's 41+ years old. Both my beloved and I will be doing some restoration work to her.

The plans, currently, are to:
Wire brush and paint the wheels after a repacking of the bearings,
Possible addition of baby moon hubcaps,
Wire brush/repaint of frame/hitch/bumpers,
Deep cleaning of the inside (I'll get pictures of the interior this weekend),
Conversion to twin tank propane setup.

We're debating whether to take the paint off and polish the skin, since it's aluminum. Jury's still out on that one - but we both kinda like the idea of making her look like a 60's supermodel Maybe add some blue-dot bullet lights...

I'm completely going to get into trouble. It'll be worth every minute of it, too!
Nhytefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #885

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhytefall View Post
Thank you! She's got some wrinkles and scars - after all, she's 41+ years old. Both my beloved and I will be doing some restoration work to her.

The plans, currently, are to:
Wire brush and paint the wheels after a repacking of the bearings,
Possible addition of baby moon hubcaps,
Wire brush/repaint of frame/hitch/bumpers,
Deep cleaning of the inside (I'll get pictures of the interior this weekend),
Conversion to twin tank propane setup.

We're debating whether to take the paint off and polish the skin, since it's aluminum. Jury's still out on that one - but we both kinda like the idea of making her look like a 60's supermodel Maybe add some blue-dot bullet lights...

I'm completely going to get into trouble. It'll be worth every minute of it, too!
Hey Nhytefall:

I have to say this is going to be GREAT!

I just can't wait and please keep us in pics on your progress.

It will be a fun project for you two and hope to see your work there.

It will be a rock n' roll pop up for sure...

Have you found a few pink flamingos for the camp site?
Old 06-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #886

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
Sure makes me miss my Pop Up. Wife talked me into selling it after we got marred because we had the Class A now and didn't need it anymore.

Little did she know the gas prices would go through the roof and make driving the Class on short weekend camping trips a less than desirable option.

Had many great adventures with my Jayco 1207 back when I was single.
It had a shower and commode and a nice kitchen, so I was a hit with the single ladies.

I've already informed the wife that if I ever run across another one I'm going ot buy it for those short trips to the local lakes.
YUP - sure glad we kept our '88 KIT 5er after buying the Winnie MH - the 5er is only worth about $2500 if sold, but we get up to 17 MPG towing the 5er, and only about 7 MPG with the MH. If we are on the road just for travel, and not to fish, we don't need the MH for pulling the boat - so the 5er makes lots more sense - and if used often enough, could eventually pay for itself at current value, just in fuel cost savings...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #887

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomask

Hey Nhytefall:

I have to say this is going to be GREAT!

I just can't wait and please keep us in pics on your progress.

It will be a fun project for you two and hope to see your work there.

It will be a rock n' roll pop up for sure...

Have you found a few pink flamingos for the camp site?
It's odd you ask that... Because we've been looking...
Old 06-08-2012, 07:41 AM   #888

Babys Home 77 Dodge Georgieboy Cruisemaster

Ok, so we took the big step and purchased a 23 ft 77 Dodge. Has 90,000k on a rebuild engine.Went through alot $ to get safetied. Never thought Id spend that much on a rv camper.But here we are,Ist time rvers taking on a new challenge.Brought it home yasterday. Parked beside mt carport.Not before crushing the evestrough ,yikes. Not used of backing up with mirrors yet, I guess.Anyway everything about this is new to me.The rv plumbing systems, electrical,etc.I don't even have a house battery system yet.I think this summer will be a learning thing for my wife and I .We stood there looking at it and realize our rad already has a leak at the top seam.First thing to fix.But to make it easy for us we don't have large rv payments,just a small 2yr loan.So we will start with local trips,not far. I still have to get the feel of driving this thing. So anyway we will give it a shot and see where this adventure takes us.I will post a pic when I figure this out too. LoL
rvtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:49 AM   #889

Congratulations on the new rig. You're in for quite an adventure! Post up some pics when you can, we'd love to see her.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #890

here is a quick pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC4700.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	385.5 KB
ID:	22042  
Old 06-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #891

Wow... looks very similar to the one we just sold on Wednesday! Congrats & enjoy!
Old 06-08-2012, 11:13 PM   #892

Talking Congrats! It looks very nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtodd View Post
here is a quick pic
It looks great! My wife and I also jumped into this RV thing just recently. We bought a 73 Dodge Titan. I know exactly what you're talking about regarding the expenses. I'm in the middle of making it as safe as possible before taking a long trip. I've discovered that 17.5" tires are available, but from limited suppliers (Kumho, Wanli & Double Coin). I just got all six new tires, all new shock absorbers, air bags are on the way (air lift has a $50 rebate on air lift kits and $50 on compressor systems), etc...

I'm enjoying it
SPL212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #893

Vintage RV Owners Club
old motorhomes can be very very cool
Old 06-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #894

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhytefall View Post
It's odd you ask that... Because we've been looking...
You might just check in the garden center at Lowes...
Old 06-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #895

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtodd View Post
Ok, so we took the big step and purchased a 23 ft 77 Dodge. Has 90,000k on a rebuild engine.Went through alot $ to get safetied. Never thought Id spend that much on a rv camper.But here we are,Ist time rvers taking on a new challenge.Brought it home yasterday. Parked beside mt carport.Not before crushing the evestrough ,yikes. Not used of backing up with mirrors yet, I guess.Anyway everything about this is new to me.The rv plumbing systems, electrical,etc.I don't even have a house battery system yet.I think this summer will be a learning thing for my wife and I .We stood there looking at it and realize our rad already has a leak at the top seam.First thing to fix.But to make it easy for us we don't have large rv payments,just a small 2yr loan.So we will start with local trips,not far. I still have to get the feel of driving this thing. So anyway we will give it a shot and see where this adventure takes us.I will post a pic when I figure this out too. LoL
Nice looking rig! Ask questions on here when the time comes. I've found this site to be fantastic and full of nice people willing to help. Now let the adventure begin.
Cubine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #896

Question 1. I have a side tray that pulls out for the house battery.There is enough room for a standard 12v. I've read on here that sometimes it's better to put 2 6v batteries together to get more amp hours.However I don't have the room in this compartment.Is there a way to relocate 2 6 v batteries elsewhere,possibly inside under seat for example.Would this work? Also while snooping around inside the other day,I come across a 120v ac to dc inverter.What is this for in the rv? Remember I'm a complete newbie here. Thanks.