Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #1

pull down bed 1986 GBM

Bed above drivers seat will not stay up. My question is what holds it up are there strong springs in the boxes where the arms that hold the bed are attached.
Golden278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
I had one and yes the springs should hold it up.
May have lost the tension from age or left in drop down position all the time.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #3

We have one in our 87 Allegro. When we put it up there are 2 velco straps on each end. They loop through the bed (metal bracket) and attach. It will stay up without the straps, but will hang about 3" lower. Send me a private message and I can take a picture for you.

Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:20 AM   #4

My 79 winne brave had seat belts the you locked in to keep it up.
fishseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #5

My Holidday Rambler has one and it will stay up on its own but it has two metal clamps that insure it will stay up there. I have never used it and probably never will. I've even considered removing it but it would leave some big holes in the sides, however it would leave more headroom in the cockpit.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #6

Thanks all for your help. I will take it apart this wekend and try and fix it. It has one strap on one side and when it is taken off the bed does not want to come all the way down.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:15 AM   #7

Hi Golden 278, We have a winniebago elandan 1986 35 ft, I also had a bed over the drivers seat that would fall on my head while driving down the hiway at 65 mph. Had to pull over a couple of times to work on it..I told my wife that was it...Took my tools and worked on that bad boy.. If you look on page 86 you can see where I took it completly out and gained about 6 to 8 more inches of head room... Sure is nice not to have a bed on the head....
nanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:58 AM   #8

I fixed the bed issue by spraying WD 40 on all moving parts and added a $3 heavy duty utility hanger at the end of the swingarm boxes on each side. They can be swung out when bed is in the stowed position and swung in out of the way when the bed is in use. I will try and send pictures later. I tried using straps but they were to much trouble.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #9

I did the same thing to mine. The other thing that I did was to stuff foam rubber inside of the springs and around them, Those things would twang when you would hit a bump.