Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2022, 10:56 PM   #1

Radiator Removal help

1993 pace arrow p30 with 454 how do you remove radiator ? Overheating and losing fluid !
GoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2022, 03:33 AM   #2

Had a ‘91 P30 chassis that I pulled the radiator and had recored - you have the refrigerant removed from the A/C unit and take out the condenser in front of the radiator. Then remove the radiator.
If I remember correctly, you’ll have to struggle with the fan shield. It splits into 2 pieces after removing 1 or 2 bolts on each side that are not easy to get to.
Old 07-05-2022, 04:57 AM   #3

I don't think I would tackle that job unless I actually see it leaking. It may not be the source of the overheating unless it is really clogged. I have never had a radiator clog on any vehicle in my lifetime except a small motorcycle radiator. I would do some further investigation. I would watch the temp gauge and see if it really goes above normal. Then I would test or replace the thermostat. If it still overheats with a good thermostat or no thermostat then I would try to see if the coolant is circulating. Usually I look in the fill hole but if I can't get my head in there or a mirror in there I might unhook a heater hose or something to try to see if it is circulating. It could be a bad water pump. good luck.
Old 07-05-2022, 08:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
I don't think I would tackle that job unless I actually see it leaking. It may not be the source of the overheating unless it is really clogged. I have never had a radiator clog on any vehicle in my lifetime except a small motorcycle radiator. I would do some further investigation. I would watch the temp gauge and see if it really goes above normal. Then I would test or replace the thermostat. If it still overheats with a good thermostat or no thermostat then I would try to see if the coolant is circulating. Usually I look in the fill hole but if I can't get my head in there or a mirror in there I might unhook a heater hose or something to try to see if it is circulating. It could be a bad water pump. good luck.
Based on my experience with the ‘91 we acquired in ‘18 - and the OP saying he’s overheating and leaking and needs to pull the radiator - he probably needs to pull it and have recored, power flush the block, replace all the rubber hoses (including the heater hoses and the elbow hose between the water pump and intake manifold), and thermostat.
And, since it’s easier to change the water pump with the radiator out, he could replace it while everything’s apart - but he needs to make sure to get the exact same water pump.

My experience was a consistent leak where the lower radiator hose connected to the radiator. It took me a few months to figure out the green patina above the hose port was sign of a leak.
Once I pulled the radiator - it was obvious that it had seen its better days.
I found a radiator shop that had been in business for 50+ years who said “better to recore than put in new”. He removed the end caps and put in a new 4 row slab (original was 3). There was plenty of clearance - GM apparently used the same radiator frame and end caps for their “standard” and “ extra capacity” radiators.
Old 07-15-2022, 11:53 AM   #5

The water pump can be removed from below. The is a metal cross member (7 bolts) that rests between the frame once you remove the 7 bolts it comes down. As for the shroud drill a small hole in each side prior to removing the staples that hold the halves together. This way you can bolt and/or zip tie them back together.

Here's a pic of the cross member:

Once the cross member is out the 2nd pic is a view:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	726555E5-AEEE-4AC0-A52B-DD5A5ED1A36E.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	347.7 KB
ID:	371057   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cross Member.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	371058  

VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System G-Man 360 generator man (PM me)
1972VWbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 04:47 PM   #6

Depending on the construction of your RV you might be able to remove enough front body work to remove the rad..busy with mine at the moment, water pump and steering pump changed so far. Has to be back on the road in two days so no time to renew all the other easy things to reach with this open but it took 3 hours to remove front sections so not a big job to do again .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220801_152016.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	325.6 KB
ID:	372582  
1988 Corsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 05:44 PM   #7

While you are in there replace water pumps with elderbrock hi flow water pump.. and heavy duty fan clutch.. and larger eng fan form derale.com.. big difference..
Make sure you use garden hose and flush out block with water pump off.. the crud that builds up inside is amazing.. also replace thermostat with lowest thermostat you are comfortable with.. I use 160 degrees.. every body freaks out.. but it get up to temp just fine.. I don't run when below 20 outside anyway.. but you might find you have to use cardboard if you do..

Tags
radiator, removal