Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2020, 10:53 AM   #1

Rain gutter removal

So I've finally figured out that the water intrusion on my 99 Beaver is coming from the rain gutters for the most part. Water gets behind the gutters and goes through the rivit holes.

Usual solution is to drill out the rivits, scrape off all the old sealant, put butyl tape on the back of the gutter, re-rivit, and re-seal.

Just got to thinking though, are gutters really needed? There's a secondary gutter over the entry door. All the windows have awnings, and the metal covers for those re-direct water. In a couple of cases the gutters actually send water where I don't need it - like streaming down the driver's side window and then into the coach through there.

Since it's a Safari Beaver, the slide out doesn't have an awning, so a gutter over the slide area would probably be a good idea.

But I'm thinking that minimizing the length of gutter to just those areas that really need it, (and the associated dimensional changes over the seasons that help break the seal) and minimizing the holes through the side of the coach might be a better idea than trying to make the gutters work.

We live in the desert, so not much rain here, although we do occasionally encounter it elsewhere on our travels.

I'm just trying to think through the unintended consequences.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2020, 03:33 PM   #2

You need to seal the seam between the roof and sidewall some way. There are a lot of relatively flat extrusions online if you don't want to use the gutter.

I'm not a fan either but do reuse them. I put butyl tape on the back and use the flat end of a drill bit the same size as the hole in the gutter to punch through the butyl tape from the back. I drill a few strategically placed holes in the bottom of each section so the water doesn't back up as much. I use screws instead of rivets to reattach the gutter, it's easier to control the pressure used to attach it.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal