Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2015, 11:10 AM   #1

Re-caulking my 5er

I just purchased a 1985 Alpenlite 25' fifth wheel. Really nice shape for a 30 yr old unit, but very dirty outside. I got me a young man scheduled for tomorrow to come help me scrub it. The top is black, I'm assuming mildew.
I haven't been up there yet, but the front & back caps are fiberglass, is the entire top FG? I intend to scrub it with a soft bristle brush and dial dish soap.
I'm sure I can keep him busy for most of the day! I can see evidence of a little water damage in the right rear corner, and up in the front bed area. PO said he had it looked at, and they told him it was leaking a little around the windows. Here come the questions!!! I don't see any markings on glass that indicates it's tempered. Can one safely remove all the screws and gently pry the frame out, clean and re-caulk without breaking the glass? Looking at the caulk residue along the trim that goes between the sides and top, I believe I can clean that off with something like an orange stick and recaulk with a quality silicone based caulk. Is that sufficient? If so, would that work around the windows too? I thought about pulling all the trim, one piece at a time, cleaning then recaulking and reinstalling. That appears to be a big job. and the replacement trim cover material is pretty expensive. I'm sure someone has done this before - would sure like to hear from you.
TheOldMan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2015, 06:08 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

You can buy a butyl caulk tape that is made for sealing RV windows. Easy to work with and more reliable than tube caulk.

And yes, removing the windows is quite doable, but you'll need a second person on the outside to catch the window as you push it out.

Once you remove the screws on the outside frame, remove the screws from the trim ring on the inside; then, just push.

A lot of windows will have a bead of silicone on the top of the outside frame- this is to reduce black streaks, not for sealing- the butyl does that.

Scrape off any old caulk and outline the window with the butyl tape, making sure it covers all screw holes. After you've re-installed the windows, trim any excess butyl with a plastic knife; it will pick up bugs and crud if you leave it untrimmed.

The trim that runs along the top/sides seam also comes off easily once the screws/rivets are removed (careful not to bend it!). Use the same butyl tape (or upgrade to Eternabond; best stuff on earth) underneath the trim ; again making sure it covers all screw holes and cracks.

If there are holes where the screws seem to have nothing to bite (quite likely) remove the screw and fill the hole with caulk. If its somewhere critical like at the very ends or a seam, you can try a longer screw and see if that finds something to catch hold of.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote