Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2019, 01:19 PM   #1

Recent Upgrade New Member

Hello all ! I'm new to this so be warned I may ask stupid questions lol ! Just upgraded from a pickup camper to a 1987 Holiday Rambler Imp 33 ft WOW ! It's like going from a Flintmobile to a Space Shuttle ! All of the crazy High tech accessories ! Leveling sys that I know nothing about !! Obviously No Manual Just one for Kohler Gen So I'm going from how many pieces of wood to pull onto to Stuff I've never seen before ! I'm retired because of Cancer issues but in remission for 5 years HELP ! 😎
Montaquilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2019, 10:08 PM   #2

First congratulations on the new rig. Holiday Rambler has made some good quality rigs. Luckily you have the generator manual. It will come in handy.

Can't comment on the leveler system you have, but HWH is very common. Luckily there are great people here who will help as they can.

On our rig we had to do a bunch of Google searches. Helped me to diagnosis what was wrong with our Onan generator no-start last year. Anytime I found a online manual, it got printed out and filed. I also watched bunches of YouTube repairs videos, and how to drive videos. As driving a class a was so much different then a van or full size pickup.

Enjoy your new toyou rig.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:23 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The owner's manual, especially from older RVs, really tell you nothing. I would suggest you make a list of all your components/appliances (i.e. refrigerator, AC, hot water heater, furnace, etc) and look for manuals for them. I think you will find they will give you much more info re parts, troubleshooting, etc.

If your leveling system is HWH (which it probably is) contact Paul at AZPETE on the Irv2 forum. He works for HWH and can answer your questions. His email is pfmaddox@att.net and his phone number is 602-549-3638. He is a Commercial Member and has posted that his phone is always on, and if not answered, leave a message.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:02 AM   #4

Thanks so much ! Everyone is so helpful ! Alot to do but Im up for the challenge ! If all goes well I will be out exploring by June ! I just learned what a toad is lol ! I got 3 choices but my favorite is a 84 Dodge Daytona bought in 84 restored in 2012 ! Yes I'm one of those people that doesn't like getting rid of memories ! Looking forward to making more ! Everyone have a Happy New Year ! Outdoors Rules !!!
Old 12-28-2019, 11:45 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Congrats on The 87 HR and welcome to vintage.
I've got a 82 Pace Arrow
What powers her?
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:27 AM   #6

I got the Chevy Chassis with the 454 T400 trans ! Doesn't have the power of the deisel but I'm a former GM Engineer ( Contract ) and have worked as a mechanic since I was 12 lol ! So GM parts I've got and some knowledge hasn't faded yet ! The Toad a 1984 Dodge Daytona Turbo that was redone 5 years ago One owner car ME Got me around and to work for years Mechanicley perfect Paint not so much ! No rust but 3 diff colors of Primer Everytime I save paint money something happens ! Like a old Holiday Rambler project
Old 12-30-2019, 07:58 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I've got the same power.
My first toad was my 99 concours on a Karkatty ss towed to AZ 6 Times and a trip to Kentucky. Towed great .
We now have a Gennisi 09 have to tow it backwards because it's rear wheel drive.
Have a friend with a 36 or38 Winn and tows a jeep grand cheeokee 4 down also powered by a 454.
Don't think you will any trouble towing the Daytona.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:17 PM   #8

Congratulations! The Holiday Ramblers are pretty nice. I too have the P30 chassis with 454/TH400 pretty reliable powerplant. I have been totally gutting my rig and rebuilding it.

Here's to many fond memories to be made!
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:13 AM   #9

I'm going to gut my Rambler also 30thou miles but lived in ! Gonna put new overheads and generator that's a little less labor intensive ! Points ? Timing ? I put my timing light and dwell meter away 15 years ago and can't remember where ? So it's gonna need tires and brakes and alot of little stuff Like engine temp gauge and heater control cable ! Havnt had a challenge since retiring so gotta try and get the brain going again ! That probably needs some work too ! OUTDOORS RULES !!
Old 03-21-2020, 10:28 PM   #10

Dont move to fast on that old genset...the old ones were virtually tanks and cannot be replaced for less than 5k....They are incredibly simple to maintain and repair....
EyezOpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:24 AM   #11

Good to know that about generator ! It's got compression so I'm thinking it might be too early to give up ! Thanks for the advice ! Everyone Be Safe !!
Old 03-23-2020, 10:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaquilla View Post
Good to know that about generator ! It's got compression so I'm thinking it might be too early to give up ! Thanks for the advice ! Everyone Be Safe !!
I guess i should have included a link for some help...while irv2 has quite a bit of working knowledge this smokstak onan forum is uncanny...https://www.smokstak.com/forum/forum...-generators.1/
EyezOpen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new member, upgrade