Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Recovering doghouse/engine-cover?

As I am slowly fixing things in our, new to us, '94 Southwind, the wife is looking at the funky blue/teal carpet. Uh oh, she has that look in her eye. But this time I have to agree with her. That old carpet has got to go.

My question, however, is what do folks do about the engine-cover/doghouse? Mine is covered in carpet as are the walls in the front on the passenger side. I can deal with flat surfaces and put up either vinyl or wood but the doghouse has me stumped.

All thoughts, comments, suggestions welcome.
wildbill001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2012, 09:51 PM   #2

New carpet , contrast to new flooring or padded vynal to match dash !
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hmmmm, padded vinyl sounds "do-able". Not sure I want to match the dash, however. It is pretty faded. On second-thought, maybe I shouldn't mention that to the wife. She would probably suggest I "just re-upholster" the dash too.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #4

My wife tells me I have no taste ( I enjoy scotch!! )
Maybe others could offer more tasteful suggestions
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #5

I redid mine in Home Depot industrial carpet. The engine cover, the floors and halfway up the walls. Then I ripped up the main cabin carpet I just put down and put down bamboo. Is that any help? I just wanted to get rid of the pink shag! It's a nasty job and you'll need vice grips for the staples.
PeterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yeah that does help. I'm also thinking that if I can get it off the engine cover, paint it but insulate on the underside for heat/cold/noise.

What size/thickness of flooring did you end up using?

Bill W
Old 08-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We pulled up all our old carpet, laid laminate vinyl planking throughout the MH up to the cockpit. We replaced the cockpit and doghouse carpeting with new complimentary color carpet & a thicker pad for the sound and heat deadening. Also used a heat/sound deadening self-adhesive stuff on the underside of the fiberglass doghouse, but this has not proved totally successful.

We drove the MH a bit without any carpet in the cockpit, just the bare wood- VERY noisy.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:38 AM   #8

I can't believe I forgot this! I rebuilt my engine cover in 5/8 plywood and made it 1/2 higher so it wouldn't rest on the air filter. I had a layer of tin against the wood then a layer of fiberglass stiff insulation. I covered everything on the cabin floor with auto-fiber insulation, then carpet.
PeterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Replaced my doghouse carpet (1989 allegro) with lowes carpeting using a $40 electric staple gun and 1/8" pop rivets....must say looks better than new...worst part was pulling all the old staples...millions of them driven thru the square tubes framing the doghouse.
Mduell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I recovered my son- in- laws motorhome. I just pulled off the old carpet. Took a piece of the carpet that we were putting on the floor. I laid the doghouse cover on top of the carpet and cut a piece of carpet slightly larger than the cover. I bought a can of 3M upholstery spray glue. Make sure it is the high tack. (They sell 3 strengths) I glued the flat surfaces first. I then cut the curved areas. Trimmed them where they met and glued them down. I am not at all artistic, but I was amazed at how good it came out.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
When we bought our '99, it was perfect for us. The only problem is the entire interior was blue which the wife hated and be both dispise carpet in a MH. I gutted ever piece of carpet including the doghouse.

We ordered new furniture and also some extra material (ultra leather) to recover some other trim and the dog house.

We bought some batting and put it on about one inch thick. This was for insulation but also to give it a pillow look and covered all the old glue I couldn't get off. We used Allure vinyl flooring on every floor surface in the coach.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120830_082751.png
Views:	1190
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	25474
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:20 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Looks good! I read a lot of folks use Allure vinyl flooring. Is it because that brand works best(i.e., holds up well) in a MH or just because it is easy to get?
Old 08-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
After reading about it here, I took a good look at it at HD. It was much easier to install than regular laminate (just a utility knife), it was inexpensive ($400) and we just liked the look.

I had a bad experience with laminate in the past...but was my fault. Seems the stuff I used would absorb water and buckle up if water laid on it. I didn't know that at the time or when I chose Allure. However I'm still very happy with it.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:00 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill001 View Post
Looks good! I read a lot of folks use Allure vinyl flooring. Is it because that brand works best(i.e., holds up well) in a MH or just because it is easy to get?
There are other brands of vinyl plank flooring (we used Armstrong Snap-Lock available at Lowe's) but all are an outstanding choice in a motorhome.

Only tool needed is a utility knife and maybe a straightedge. The stuff is "score and snap", easy to work with in small spaces, its (relatively) lightweight, waterproof, very resistant to scratches and gouges, doesn't stain, comfortable on the footsies .

You won't be unhappy if you use it.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote