Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #29

Yes we buy what we like most of the time it is either a money deal or dealer that we like better.
Larry Barnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2011, 05:17 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Larry you really do have a beautiful rig. Both truck and trailer. I agree its what we like and or deal. Thanks for your info input.
vman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:37 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a question. Beings I am going to restripe my coach, I am goint to strip all of the old stuff 1st and clean it all and prep 1st, But would it be best to stripe it 1st then use the redmax or use the redmax 1st then re stripe it? Which should be done 1st? Thanks for your help. Tony
Old 06-18-2011, 08:09 AM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We put the new paint and stripes on first, then the Red Max Pro.

You would need to "rough up"the shiny surface anyway to get good adhesion, so why bother RMP-ing first?

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
We put the new paint and stripes on first, then the Red Max Pro.

You would need to "rough up"the shiny surface anyway to get good adhesion, so why bother RMP-ing first?
Ok before applying the RMP, what grade sand paper would you recommend using on the freshly applied stripping?
Old 06-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #34

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry, I wasn't clear.

Go ahead and do your clean-up, apply your stripes and THEN polish with Red Max Pro.

If you do Red Max Pro before your stripes, the surface may then be too slick and shiny for the stripes or paint to "grip" securely (in which case you'd need to strip or rough up the surface of the RV- NOT the surface of the stripes).

Sorry for the confusion.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
Sorry, I wasn't clear.

Go ahead and do your clean-up, apply your stripes and THEN polish with Red Max Pro.

If you do Red Max Pro before your stripes, the surface may then be too slick and shiny for the stripes or paint to "grip" securely (in which case you'd need to strip or rough up the surface of the RV- NOT the surface of the stripes).

Sorry for the confusion.
Thank you so much for the rebutle and making it clear. I know that on 1 of my bikes, I had already spent 4k painting the tins on the bike, then I wanted a wolves head painted on both sides. The artist said he had to rough up the clear on the tank before he could paint the wolves head on and after he was done I had to have it recleared. That was scarely considering how much I paid to have the 3 tins painted. All in all it turned out extremely nice. Thanks again for the info.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:35 PM   #36

One question when prepping the surface with BKF does it end up a clean & smooth/dull surface?
Then its just the RMP that gives it the final shine?Was just making sure for when we are ready to get that shine back with this method
Old 06-20-2011, 08:44 PM   #37

I used a maybe not fine enough grit scrubble pad and had some slight scratches but the red max filled them in. I was worried and didn't tell the wife of course. The job will be easier than you are expecting it to be. I washed with TSP after the bar keepers friend( that is sure a dumb name for a product but guess it is what it was made for)
chevman
Old 06-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #38

Good to know it covers/fills light scratches, did a small patch with BKF just to see how it did, cleaned it up & left it with a dull but clean/smooth surface. Is this normal or should BKF give a light shine that RMP brightens up?
Old 06-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #39

I did not have dull surface as you will have. I think you are going to be a happy camper soon. Chevman
Old 06-21-2011, 06:04 AM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The Bar Keepers Friend does not shine anything, it is a cleaner ; but PLEASE believe us when people say you will be delighted and amazed at the shine when you finish that 4th or 5th coat of Red Max Pro #3.

We had places on our rig so worn that the fibers in the fiberglass were showing through- you can't get any rougher than that, and it ALL shines now.

Just do it; its cheap and you can't get a better or more long lasting finish for your old rig than the RMP.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
I just saw an ad on Craigslist promoting a product called Shine On for boats and RV's. They want $70 for a 32oz bottle of the "clear coat" or $100 for the 32oz kit (prep, clear coat, pads and towels, etc). Went and looked at Red Max on Lowes.com and it's 128oz for $16. They both look like they give the same results. Guess which way I'd go?

Oh, and that high priced kit? Only covers rvs and boats up to 30'
SyrenSkywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:29 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
I should have most of my old stripes off this weekend and have it cleaned and prepped. But it will be a week or so before my new stipes get in. I have the rmp and I am way to anxious to get it started. If it isn"t 1 thing its another. Can"t wait to get it finished. I feel like a kid waiting for christmas to get here. C"mon santa! Lol