RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:46 AM   #1

Refinishing walls after water damage

We bought a 1994 Hy-Line travel trailer a few years ago. It sits parked permanently at a campground. It has become clear that there were some water leaks (before us) and the leaks appear to have been fixed as we have had no new leaks.

However, we have found a couple places where the walls are "soft" (I could push my finger through the wall if I tried. We are also wondering about mould behind the walls.

I want to take down parts of the walls and replace them. The wife says I shouldn't because I might make things worse. What do you experienced people say?

I'm guessing that the walls are just some kind of thin plywood/paneling that should be easy to rip down and find replacement at Lowes/Home Depot. Should it be nailed or glued?

It has a wainscotting look (wood on the lower half and wallpaper on the upper half with a chair rail). Since I would only need to replace a couple of feet at the front, I wouldn't have to take down the whole wallpapered wall. Can the existing wallpaper be stripped off (like I would do if I was in my home) or can you wallpaper on top of wallpaper or can we even just paint the whole thing? Would it need a special kind of paint? We are in southern Ontario and it is not heated in the snowy winters and only cooled in the summer when we are at the trailer (southern Ontario).
jdbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2018, 07:29 PM   #2

There’s a Facebook group that’s all about remodeling RVs. I’m sure you will find answers to your questions there, good luck
Old 08-04-2018, 11:02 PM   #3

Water damage

We have done extensive wall replacement on our 1990 25ft. HiLo. Most likely water gets in from leaky windows. Yes, you do need to rip out any walls with soft spots. Rip you wall all the way to your framing. Apply Bondo to the back side of your aluminum or fiberglass. Look this up on the 3m website. The Bondo will seal up any holes you can't even see. We used heavy duty liquid nails to glue our 3 pieces of the wall together. 1 tube per 4x8 sheet of wood. You also need to pull out all windows and reseal with butyl tape. Lexelcaulk is good to use. Can be bought at ACE Hardware or on line. This is a premium calk at about $8.00 a tube. First make sure your rood is weather tight. Replace calk as needed. Then you can work on the inside. Post pictures and we will answer your questions. Typo Roof.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:22 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If there is mold inside the walls then you are breathing it.

Check out a thread called "Total Rebuild". Lot of info there on rebuilding that might help you. There are numerous threads here on doing this kind of project. If you decide to tackle this wear a respirator or mask of some sort when you do the teardown.

Good luck
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:36 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

YouTube is full of videos on this. Check this one out.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water damage