Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2014, 12:24 PM   #1

Repair of door latch

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone here can give me some ideas. We have a 1955 8'x40' trailer we're trying to renovate. It's a solid thing with lovely woodwork inside but the years have not been kind to it otherwise.

I'm trying right now to replace the door latch. It's a Bargman and I'm finding that those things go for $300 to $500 online. Yikes! So I'm wondering if there's an inexpensive alternative. Another brand of latch that will fit? Another option to closing and locking the door? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sherry
esjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2014, 04:32 PM   #2

That's a very high price. Have you compared prices online? Also, know that all such hardware is not made for our vehicles, but re-purposed from another application. You might find it at HD or Lowe's, a screen door shop or a locksmith.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:30 PM   #3

Can you post some pictures of it? What's the part number on the door latch? I know those Bargman's are the old school style, so they may be more expensive for perfect restorations but if you're just looking for something that will work we can find you something. Just get us a bit more info off the latch.
sktyrhrtout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:17 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by esjay View Post
I'm trying right now to replace the door latch. It's a Bargman and I'm finding that those things go for $300 to $500 online
It's probably a Bargman L-100 or L-200, and they were discontinued years ago. That's why the high prices. If there's anything that is a direct replacement, I'm not aware of it.

A good locksmith can fix just about anything. The problem may be finding a "good" one who knows what he's (or she's) doing, not someone who just knows how to re-key locks and make keys, and calls themselves a locksmith. The major parts of the lockset are probably OK. It's some of the small internal parts and springs that wear and break.

This may sound strange, but another option would be a good gunsmith. There's that word "good" again. They are very adept at making their own springs and just about any other part they may need. A good gunsmith is part artist and part machinist.
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:28 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
After posting my first answer I did some searching and found this:

VintageCampers.com :: Vintage Campers, Vintage Trailers, Vintage Parts, Vintage Restorations

By the way, what is the make of your old trailer?
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:41 AM   #6

Hi Monte,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I've looked all over the place online. There don't seem to be many out there that are exactly what I'm looking for--an older model that fits my door. And the ones I found are very pricy.

We don't have a Lowe's or HD out here in the sticks. We do have a Home Depot in a nearby town. I never considered they'd have something like this, for such an old trailer. Do you think they might?

Thanks,
Sherry
Old 10-14-2014, 10:55 AM   #7

Hi sktyrhrtout,

We still have an intact latch on one door so I can see if I can get some clear pictures of it. It's identical to the one we're trying to replace.

We don't have the broken latch, only the intact one on the other door. Before I went looking online, I tried to find a part number or model number or something on that latch and couldn't find anything other than the name "Theodore Bargman." So I just went ahead and looked for that. We may have to take it off the door to see if we can find something else. We can give it a try.

We don't need the original latch necessarily, just something that will work and look halfway decent. That would be great if we could. )

Sherry
Old 10-14-2014, 10:59 AM   #8

Hi Kurmudgeon,

Actually it's the whole assembly that's broken right in half. Probably from a half century of opening and closing the door.

And it doesn't surprise me that the locks in question were discontinued years ago. I figured that's why I'm having such darned difficulty in locating one.

Sherry
Old 10-14-2014, 11:05 AM   #9

Wow, Kurmudgeon, that's good to know. Thanks for the link. We're putting so much money into this trailer that I'm hoping to get by, at least for now, for less money spent on a doggoned door latch. But if there's no other alternative, then this is the way to go. I've bookmarked the site.

Thanks again.
Sherry
Old 10-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #10

Oh, and Kurmudgeon, I don't know what the make of the trailer is. I looked around for something to tell me and couldn't find anything. Is there a particular place to look?
Old 10-14-2014, 02:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by esjay View Post
Hi Kurmudgeon,

Actually it's the whole assembly that's broken right in half. Probably from a half century of opening and closing the door.

And it doesn't surprise me that the locks in question were discontinued years ago. I figured that's why I'm having such darned difficulty in locating one.

Sherry
No, Home Depot might not have the same lock, but a usable one. Why don't you take some photos of it so we can see what it looks like? Especially where it is broken.

Tags
door, repair