Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-21-2021, 09:06 AM   #1

Arrow Replacement Axle for late 80's era P30 Winnebago

My axle is screwed up, and I need to replace it. I've had several instances of bearings catastrophically failing and I lose my wheels on the road. (a story all in and of itself) It's a GM 14 bolt dually full floating axle.

Has anyone replaced their axles on this era of motorhome? I'm kinda wanting to do a disc brake upgrade, and maybe a DANA 70, or maybe DANA 80 would be a good choice. Trouble is, this axle has different lengths for the right and left side from the differential and therefore it's kinda iffy that I could just swap something out. I'm also having issues finding cheap junkyard GM14 bolt pattern axles. (I think the jeepers bought them all up a decade ago)

any insights are appreciated here, and thank you for advice! This motorhome I spent most of my life savings on and thousand hours of work, it's super frustrating to think this is now a huge problem and my trips are cancelled. and I may need to live in it next year
BrandonMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2021, 12:23 PM   #2

I would recommend RV salvage yards. I have a dana 70 and like the disc brakes but as you said it might not work, Sounds like a big ugly job. Good luck. There are 2 small wrecking yards in Phx area that have some old stuff, where are you located?
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbridinger View Post
where are you located?
Colorado. I do need to peek around. I've called some places, and the people who answer typically don't know what I'm talking about. The GM 14 bolt pattern axle and differential is known for its durability and how cheap it was to get one at a yard.

yes, it's a big crap job for sure. My fault for messing with the bearings while doing a brake job.
Old 09-21-2021, 04:48 PM   #4

There is a "u pull yard" just off I-70 on the west side, and just south of where 36 heads up to Boulder.

Mike in Colorado
Old 09-22-2021, 03:03 AM   #5

You'll need to change the master cylinder if you go to disk brakes because of the difference in volume of calipers and wheel cylinders.
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
You'll need to change the master cylinder if you go to disk brakes because of the difference in volume of calipers and wheel cylinders.
good call, I haven't see that yet but makes sense.

https://youtu.be/1ExtoIYz1Lg?t=302
I'm going to try and see if my vent tube is clogged up. If it is, I'll know that this seal leak is likely caused by that, and eventually the oil level drains enough to not lube the bearings causing failure. Good lord, I hope this is all, because I'm tired of changing bearings and brakes out constantly.

For anyone following this at all, I'm going to check out the diff tube breather. If it's clogged I'll clean it up and know that's my issue.

There's a better wheel seal for a GM 14bolt diff axle, it's a NATIONAL 710568 made for commercial trucks that use an upgraded GM 14 bolt axle.

Quote:
I have finally found a wheel seal that fixed my issue. So far, I've put 300 miles or so on the seals with no visible issues, though I haven't torn the drums apart to know 100%. But, the rear brakes still exist, so that's a win in my book. The part number is National 710568. It's the same as the Offroad Design seal except available locally for cheaper. It comes off of mid-2000s 1-ton trucks with the AAM 10.5 axle under the rear.

The AAM axle is just a 14-bolt axle with a few upgrades and changes, but 95% of the parts interchange with the 14-bolt. The seal is indeed a 2-piece design where the inner part of the seal stays stationary on the axle tube so the moving surface is within the seal. A word of caution, because the seal is such a tight fit on the axle tub, it takes a good bit of force and work to get the hub to seat fully on the axle. My technique was to push straight in, wiggle the hub side-to-side and up-and-down, then crank the axle nut in to hold it in place. Rinse and repeat until the hub is in its home, then follow the normal axle nut procedure.

Tags
14 bolt, axle, bearings, dana, dually, p30, rear axle, replace, replacement, wheel bearing, wheel seal, winnebago