RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:21 PM   #1

Replacing a Norcold fridge 120 V heating element?

Hi all

I have 94 Winnie with a 6162 series Norcold fridge unit. I need to replace the 120 V heating element in the exterior sheet metal flu. It appears that the tubular heating element is held in place by slotting into a fixed steel tube. I can't get it to move, may be rusted solid in this steel tube. Have opened the sheet metal flu, used WD 40 where it enters the steel tube, tapped upward with hammer and steel rod, can't get it to come out. Any suggestions on breaking it free would be greatly appreciated. Not the easiest thing to access. Thanx in advance!
dukealumni is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2017, 11:33 PM   #2

They ARE real PITA....tough to access, very little room to get leverage and then rust.

Try moving it back/forth to break the grip rust has in it

Good luck!

Second thought.....
If you have the extra unused sleeve where DC element would be just use it and clip leads off of bad element
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:05 PM   #3

AC heat element

Thank You Thank You, Old Biscuit! Yes, it has a second sleeve, I would not have seen it without your response! The fix just got so much easier!
Old 02-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Dukealumni,
I am not real familiar with the 6162 unit, but I did have an episode with my prior 1995 Dynasty that had a Norcold 1200 LRIM that uses two heating element that were rusted solid in the sleeves on the boiler housing.

To remove the heating elements, I used a Dremel with a metal cutting disc and made a vertical slice in each of the sleeves and then slightly spread the sleeves so that I could move the heating elements by rotating them back and forth to break them loose. Once I removed the old heating elements, I cleaned the inside surface of the sleeves which allowed me to easily install the new heating elements.

Good luck and happy RV'g

Jack
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Jack View Post
Dukealumni,
I am not real familiar with the 6162 unit, but I did have an episode with my prior 1995 Dynasty that had a Norcold 1200 LRIM that uses two heating element that were rusted solid in the sleeves on the boiler housing.

To remove the heating elements, I used a Dremel with a metal cutting disc and made a vertical slice in each of the sleeves and then slightly spread the sleeves so that I could move the heating elements by rotating them back and forth to break them loose. Once I removed the old heating elements, I cleaned the inside surface of the sleeves which allowed me to easily install the new heating elements.

Good luck and happy RV'g

Jack
Great solution! Thanks for sharing, I bet a lot of people filed this away for future use.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:14 PM   #6

AC heating element

A big thanks to all. I was able to find the part number for the correct AC heating element from Norcold, found it at the local RV place, and installed it in the empty sleeve that would hold the DC heating element. Never was able to remove the old AC element but no worries. Seems to me that one could safely just sheath the heating element in a copper or steel pipe and attach this onto the sleeve unit that holds the old elements, in the case that you have no other options.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:43 PM   #7

Made my Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
They ARE real PITA....tough to access, very little room to get leverage and then rust.

Try moving it back/forth to break the grip rust has in it

Good luck!

Second thought.....
If you have the extra unused sleeve where DC element would be just use it and clip leads off of bad element
I sure hope this works! I just found the element on our 1995 Catalina Coachmen rusted tight and saw the 2nd tube, but started searching online to see what it's purpose is. Using the 2nd tube made perfect sense when I was standing there looking at the set-up, but was hesitant to try it!
RhondaR67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Jack View Post
Dukealumni,

Good luck and happy RV'g

Jack
Wow, why didn't I think of that...bought a new 2-way fridge for WAY too much
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
element, fridge, heat, heating, norcold