Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Replacing carpet and sheet flooring

We have a 83 Fleetwood Pace Arrow, and today I removed all of the sheet flooring and most of the carpet, for 2 reasons, first because we want to refresh the interior, and 2nd because it seems to us that a couple of area were spongy.

So the questions.

In replacing the sheet flooring and the carpet is there any thing that I should be aware of? I plan to install both in the same manner I have in house, unless that is not correct in motorhomes, the only different I will do in regard to the sheet flooring is to add aluminum molding around all edged of the sheet flooring because it seems as if all the old stuff curled for some reason.

Now it also seems as if the floor in the kitchen has already been replaced because it looks new than that in the hall and bedroom, also the kitchen area was nailed down and the other was screwed down.

I am confused by the different screw in the old wood, some are regular Phillips screw and other has a square hole much like one that will be required to be removed by an Allen wench, is there a reason for the different screws? I have some concern that they may be holding something underneath the floor, and I wanted to remove some of the old floor and replace that wood with new wood, is there any reason I should not do this? It looks as if there is some water damage due to the shower, again this area is somewhat spongy.
I also plan on replacing all of the carpet tag strips due to their age and other because a lot came up with the carpet.

I would welcome feed back ans any hits that anyone may have to offer.

I would prefer to make the effort to do everything as right as possible, so I am open to all suggestions, being I am sure that may of you have already done this in their rigs.

Thanks in advance for all of your help

Mike aka kartvines
kartvines is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2010, 09:06 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartvines View Post
We have a 83 Fleetwood Pace Arrow,
an 83 anything is likely to need all sorts of other things repaired (or just improved upon) having as much of the chassis and other odd corners open and available should be taken advantage of now

Quote:
I am confused by the different screw in the old wood, some are regular Phillips screw and other has a square hole
not Phillips or Allen... the sq drive is a Robertson
(actual patent holder's names)

Once you've used them for a while you'll never use anything else.

Quote:
I would prefer to make the effort to do everything as right as possible, so I am open to all suggestions, being I am sure that may of you have already done this in their rigs.
If any of the appliances or cabinets or other fixtures are in the least bit "iffy" then it makes double sense to *remove* them entirely and expose as much of the floor at one time as possible. Repair or replace whichever they need before re-installing them after the other work is complete.

Then decide which flooring sheets are bad or whether just using new will feel nicer or getting an extra piece of steel in somewhere needs it... whole sheets are the way to go (whenever possible).

if there are any ideas (even "pipe dreams") of how you might like to do your floor plan differently than it now is... now is the time to make that happen.

how big is your shower pan?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shower.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	4923  

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:02 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks I will take all of you information into consideration, I see that you have a full shower with the toilet in the same shower pan, mine is separate, sink and toilet and a stand alone sower, I can check the size of my pan and then get back with you.
kartvines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:37 AM   #4

Make sure you use an exterior grade plywood so that you do not have any more repairs in the foreseeable future.

I would highly suggest that you not put carpet back in.

Instead use something that is water resistant like vinyl tile.

Carpet holds water and odors.

Any flooring that shows signs of water intrusion (under windows etc) I would seal with Thompsons water seal or an oil base paint.

You might consider a silicone bead on areas that touch each other to minimize floor squeaks.

After all your repairs are done, before putting down any non carpet flooring, sand the floor or plane it to eliminate dimples.

I failed to do this and now have dimples that bother me.

Wife says I'm too fussy.
trpwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:52 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the feedback, this task has now been long completed and we are happy with the results, we installed new sheet flooring in the kitchen and bath and new carpet in the hall and bedroom