Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2010, 12:24 PM   #1

Replacing / Fixing Siding: DIY?

Hi guys,

I had a bad day yesterday with the RV: I really ****ed up maneuvering near a light pole and I hit the rear awning, damaging the sideing. I really feel frustrated because I've been putting a LOT of energy into this project and things were coming really well and all of a sudden a stupid move like this and I damage the siding.

I was so angry at myself that I didnt take any pictures of the damage, but basically the awning support attachment went thru the siding, making a hole in it. The awning still operates.

What are the options to fix something like this? Could I replace siding around the damaged area? (i guess siding color wouldn't match in this case) How much these things cost? Where to buy them? Is this a DYI project?

Thanks in advance guys, any help is welcome.

BB
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2010, 03:53 PM   #2

Looks like you'll need to post a photo for a better understanding of the type of repair needed.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Looks like you'll need to post a photo for a better understanding of the type of repair needed.
I'll arrange for that!

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2010, 10:09 PM   #4

About 4 years ago, My dad and I had the opportunity to rebuild an entire wall in a 28 foot Executive, owned by a friend of the family. We replaced all the studs, foam insulation, interior paneling, and exterior skin.

I think the easiest fix for this would be to cut away the outer skin in an area large enough to see the studs, supports, any wiring, and any other major damage inside the wall. Repair any electrical problems FIRST, before doing anything else. The last thing you want is a Fireball.

Patch the hole by building new stud supports to form a box, or frame, out of 1x2's.
Cover the new box with 1/8" plywood or pressboard.
Drill a 1/2" hole in the top of the plywood panel, and fill the void about half-full with expanding foam ("Greatstuff" In the BLUE can). Also, fill any spaces between the new frame and the existing insulation with the expanding foam.
Cover the entire area with a piece of FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) panel, ensuring a 3/4" inch overlap of the existing skin, and caulk the seam with a good exterior caulk.
This patch should last years, just remember to check the caulk seams when you winterize, and again in the spring before you head out on the road.

Hope this helps.

The Executive I repaired was purchased for $1000, and 4 years later resold for $4500. It was a late 70's model.
Visinedrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:09 AM   #5

Here are photos of the damage I did:

So what you guys say? Is it possible to purchase some similar siding and replace it? Any other ideas?

Thanks,

BB
Old 07-14-2010, 02:53 PM   #6

I don't know anything about the siding but don't feel too bad. I have been putting together my 85 Southwind and the 2nd time I drove it I snagged the right side exhaust pipe and lower siding cover with a post in my yard.. I kinda just figured now that I had dinged it maybe I wouldn't run it into anything else! Sure makes ya want to kick yourself though
Sprdtyf350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprdtyf350 View Post
Sure makes ya want to kick yourself though
Yeah, it does make you want to kick yourself in the stomach!
Old 07-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #8

So, any one knows where to purchase this kinda of siding for RVs?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-17-2010, 04:36 PM   #9

Don't know where to get the siding but check for RV scrap yards in your area. If that doesn't work you could repair it with fiberglass cloth and resin. Either in place or remove the panel and repair it from the back of the panel with the cloth first so you can just put enough resin on the outside to allow you to sand it smooth.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #10

While I agree with leadman about using the fiberglass, you still need something to support the awning arm.

And, since it's right next to a window, it would be a good idea to make sure the support studs by the window aren't split or cracked. This could cause a weak spot in the wall, and cause it to start leaking.
Visinedrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Replacement siding is probably no longer available. Remove awning, window , corner molding, and any other moldings etc. in that area. Using razor/putty knives remove the fiberglass from the plywood backing. Fiberglass may not come completely off the unit so you may have to secure and work behind it. The plywood and any studding will have to be repaired, then you will have to reinforce the fiberglass from behind. Re glue the fiberglass to the plywood and reinstall moldings using new sealers. At this point the exterior of the siding will have to be repaired then painted to match. It's a lot of work and will take some time but can be done. An alternative might be cutting interior paneling out and removing foam insulation to allow a repair from the inside. Either way is not simple.

George
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:01 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Salvage/Surplus Yards (List) Updated 7/04/10 - RV Forums - myRVparks.com

You might try one of these for parts.
ccook129 is offline   Reply With Quote