Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2019, 04:09 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Smile ReRoofing Best Least Expensive

Just redid the roof on a 1993 Newmar Kountry Aire 38 foot.

I used Henry Tropi-Cool 100% Silicone white roof coating. "At HomeDepot for $60 a gallon, I used 4g., as wanted to use 2 coats, thought it only needs one. Also used over the slide out roof, make sure not to get within 1/4 to 1/2 of seal. No more leaks, helps reduce noise, and has lowered temp. inside on hot 100 plus days by 7f. thru-out the coach. Also has stopped massive temp diff. between kitchen and front of slide, used to be 9-11 degrees, now is 3-4. Found number 1 cause of heat was slide roof. Before applying go around edges of roof and any gaps with 100% silicone Tropi-cool Seam and Repair Roof Sealant about 70 per gal. I used just one, total around $320 and a little labor. Recent hi wind severe thunderstorms lasting for weeks, no leaks and looks great....hope this helps some, do not use RV prod's. anymore, for me they did not work and cost too much.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tropi cool.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	249777   Click image for larger version

Name:	tropi cool henry repair.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	249778  

rv1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2019, 06:11 PM   #2

Was it over a rubber roof or fiberglass?
Old 06-17-2019, 10:36 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectraguy View Post
Was it over a rubber roof or fiberglass?

From Henry Product brochure:

Coating can be used on many different commercial or residential roof substrates to reflect the sun's heat and UV rays, as well as to help seal and protect the surface. It works well on low slope roofs and is suitable for pitched roofs. Acceptable roof types include:
• Aged asphalt roofs – including Built-Up Roofing (BUR) and Modified Bitumen (MB)
• Aged single-ply and rubber roofs, including TPO, EPDM, PVC, and Hypalon® roofs
• Spray Polyurethane Foam (SPF) roofs
• Metal roofs
• Concrete roofs
• Recoating previously coated roofs
• RV, trailer, and mobile home roofs
Not recommended over shingles of any kind.

Mine was over truck bed coating I had tried, which now I do not recommend, at first it was great, but over time it began to leak... Oh the original was rubber.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:47 AM   #4

I used it on a shipping container with fantastic results for insulating. But I was under the impression that it wasn’t recommended for rubber roofs on RV’s. I will probably use it on Jane now.

Keep in mind that the Henry’s vary in quality and application from about $80.00 for 4.75 gallons to about $300.00.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:29 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
I used it on a shipping container with fantastic results for insulating. But I was under the impression that it wasn’t recommended for rubber roofs on RV’s. I will probably use it on Jane now.

Keep in mind that the Henry’s vary in quality and application from about $80.00 for 4.75 gallons to about $300.00.
That is true, that is why I posted the pics of what I was using. Oh just wanted to say that this is what I am using not advising anyone else....
Old 06-19-2019, 07:05 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I enquired into this a while back and a guy on here said he does this professionally and he uses the more expensive Henry's and has had no complaints.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:53 PM   #7

Will this work?

Will this work for fiberglass roofs?
Devin & Sarah Sabraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:17 AM   #8

My step-dad use a similar product (10 years ago) from Ames Research Laboratories, called Maximum-Stretch. Last summer I removed it, and scrubbed our roof clean before reapplying. As with any coating, cleaning is key.

Our Flair still has its original 1995 installed rubber roof, with no issues to the rubber membrane. I applied 4 gallons in 4 thin layers. As you can see form the picture the roof is nice and white.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06534a.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	774.0 KB
ID:	250542   Click image for larger version

Name:	MSSQT-White_Web.png
Views:	54
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	250543  

Old 06-22-2019, 12:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv1993 View Post
Just redid the roof on a 1993 Newmar Kountry Aire 38 foot.

I used Henry Tropi-Cool 100% Silicone white roof coating. "At HomeDepot for $60 a gallon, I used 4g., as wanted to use 2 coats, thought it only needs one. Also used over the slide out roof, make sure not to get within 1/4 to 1/2 of seal. No more leaks, helps reduce noise, and has lowered temp. inside on hot 100 plus days by 7f. thru-out the coach. Also has stopped massive temp diff. between kitchen and front of slide, used to be 9-11 degrees, now is 3-4. Found number 1 cause of heat was slide roof. Before applying go around edges of roof and any gaps with 100% silicone Tropi-cool Seam and Repair Roof Sealant about 70 per gal. I used just one, total around $320 and a little labor. Recent hi wind severe thunderstorms lasting for weeks, no leaks and looks great....hope this helps some, do not use RV prod's. anymore, for me they did not work and cost too much.....
I have some of this and would like to use it to coat the fiberglass roof of my motorhome if I could find out for sure if it can be used fiberglass.
bamarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:19 AM   #10

Bear in mind that once you use a silicone coating, you have to stay with silicone. Nothing will adhere to it.

I stripped my roof down to the bare metal and coated with Liquid Roof 2-part Liquid EPDM.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof