Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #57
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

I for one wouldn't patronize a place that would let a rig like mine in...
That bad uh? I'm sorry
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #58

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing Nut View Post
Groucho Marx fan, eh?
Groucho Marx copycat, more like...
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:34 PM   #59

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Quote:
Oh, I see. They do it for our safety. Well, they better check the inside of those newer, high-end coaches to see if they have Norcold refrigerators in them. I wouldn't want to be parked next to one of them when they turn into an inferno....
Folks- we need to let folks know about this. Spread the word. We can save lives by doing this. It IS a known fact- Norcolds kill
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:11 PM   #60

Vintage RV Owners Club
O-o-o-okay....

For the Last Person on Planet Earth that doesn't already know about the Norcold fridge recall, here's a link to one of the eleventy bazillion online discussions of the subject.

The question relevant to this thread is:

Do "Norcolds kill" more people in RV parks with age restrictions?
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:24 PM   #61

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaCub View Post
I tried to avoid this topic but I would like to toss out there something I've observed... it isn't necessarily true for all but definitely true for plenty of folks

1. Just because someone can afford a newer RV-rig, doesn't make them better or any less white trash than the rest of us. I've seen folks like this turn out to be the biggest bunch of crooks, con-men, pedophiles, wife beaters and such on the planet.

2. Just because a person prefers an older rig and not go into debt to get it doesn't make them white trash at all.
Is that you Cousin Eddy?
Old 12-31-2012, 09:40 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post

And who do you want to pay for all this sectioning? I would say there are way more parks that let anything that can make it there in so why not just go to one of those?
I don't mean sectioning off literally. Just take the space that you currently have and make a portion for full-timers and a portion for temporary. I have seen parks that have done this and it works great.
SUPRCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:42 PM   #63
laj

I guess this would beg a 2 part question. Is it the cg owners that are wanting the 10 yr. rule, or is it rver's that have suggested this. If its the owners, then they simply don't want older units at all. If its other rver's then your sectioning might be accepted. I don't know the answer to either of those scenarios. I don't have that info.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:13 AM   #64

Quote:
Oh, I see. They do it for our safety. Well, they better check the inside of those newer, high-end coaches to see if they have Norcold refrigerators in them. I wouldn't want to be parked next to one of them when they turn into an inferno....
Don't get me wrong, I have an older coach. 1979 HR class a. And I am missing teeth etc. I get treated like a tweaker by most cops when I get pulled over ect. I find it just as irritating as anyone else. I am not defending the CG for how they do it just why they do it.
Rcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:46 AM   #65

DW is perpetually 35 (don't anyone tell her I said this). Therefore, my rig is perpetually 9 years old.

If we have stayed in a 10 year old or newer rule park we didn't know it.
born2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:31 AM   #66

Tiffin Owners Club
We recently stayed at arguably one on the nicest campgrounds in the country, Disneys Fort Wilderness. We were in our 1989 Allegro, and by chance right beside us was a 2012 Tiffan Phateon. The really nice people in the Phaeton had maid service, and a bar and grocery service come in daily to clean, make their beds and stock their bar......we made bacon and eggs and yes we slept on the same bed sheets for two days. My point here? Disney Never asked our camper age or for a picture of our paint job. Our neighbors in the Phaeton ate bacon and eggs with us and we enjoyed their liquor cabinet. The world was at peace! If our camper ( our classic 1989 Allegro) that my wife and I truly love is good enough for the big Mick.....it's good enough for anyone.....We left Disney and went to a fish camp in Deland...I won't mention any names but Tropical Marina and Resort told us that due to the "age" of our rv we would have to park in the back of the park near the dumpsters even though the most open sites were near the water. We will Never return to Tropical Marina and Resort! We are now at Riviera Marina and Resort where everyone is welcome and will be staying here for the winter....morale of this story is Disney Worlds Fort Wilderness is awesome and everyone is welcome.....but I see Tropical Marina and resort losing money forever with their camper segregated policies.....
Mduell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:30 AM   #67

Quote:
morale of this story is Disney Worlds Fort Wilderness is awesome and everyone is welcome.
Don't want to burst your bubble, but twice in the last five years we have been at the Fort's check in when rvs have been turned away because of appearance. Both were Cousin Eddy machines, heavy on the duct tape and cardboard. Seems even the mouse has a point where, even if you can pay the price, you are not welcome.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:14 AM   #68

Freightliner Owners Club
Hello fellow campers...
Wow.. reading these posts really crack me up...
Stuff like
"The really nice people in the Phaeton had maid service, and a bar and grocery service come in daily to clean, make their beds and stock their bar"
then reading...
Tropical Marina and Resort told us that due to the "age" of our rv we would have to park in the back of the park near the dumpsters even though the most open sites were near the water. We will Never return to Tropical Marina and Resort!
OMG....
The bottom line is find a place that makes you feel good within your skin...
If you live in a private resort community, with rules, restrictions, and have manicured lawns, and late model vehicles..
You won't be happy at an RV park that has a bunch of noisy kids, and cheap pull trailers, folks fishing in a pond, frying them up next to you...
But... Some people like this.. So lighten up..
Some folks go to an RV park that charges a fortune, turns away delaminated older unit's, and folks feel good wearing their leisure suit, plaid golf pants and enjoy that $400,000 unit.
Why anyone would complain about these things crack me up..
Go where you feel good..
If your blue collar people who like to drink and play loud music, or those who are bankers, doctors, and lawyers who size up each others units...
There is a spot out there for everyone...
I personally like serenity... Peace and quiet...
So I try to avoid noisy kids, or party people...
So I try to find a spot away from everyone usually near a beach..
I only travel to an RV park to use their waste station, or refill my LP..
Happy New Year fellow campers, enjoy your prosperity & good health
navyaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:23 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPRCP View Post
I understand what the park owners are trying to do and I respect their decisions. However, there is more than one way to skin a cat. It's the way its being handled that upsets people.

I remember, as some of you may also, when my dad took us on a camping trip. We had plenty of money to buy something new but my dad didn't see the point in spending so much money just to camp a few times each year. We.would buy something in fair condition and make it work.

Or what about the dads who can't afford to go out and buy the brand new trailers but still wants to spend quality time with his family. He wants to show his kids a good time and make lasting memories. Hs wants to teach them about nature. Sometimes having an old trailer and having something go wrong with it is part of the fun. That's the moments you cherish most as a kid is to spend time with your dad or mom in some cases.

Why is it that people try and discourage others from camping because their rig is a little beat up. How many kids have been disappointed when they show up at the CG and get turned back around because their trailer is ugly.

Think of a better solution to the problem. Here's an idea. Have a designated area for full timers or people who will be staying for an extended period of time. For those people, you can set certain regulations about the conditions of the trailer, the upkeep, the paint condition, etc. It can be like an HOA. They could sign something at check-in.

For the temporary visitors, they could stay in a different section of the park. This would allow the non-full-timers to get out and have a great camping experience without having to worry about if their trailer looks nice enough to be accepted.

Just remember, why is it that you started camping in the first place? Was it to get out and have a good time and meet new and interesting people? Or was is to get upset because the old broke hillbilly couldn't afford to get his kids a new one but still wanted to spend time with the family.

Remember why people are going camping not what their driving to get there. Some of the people in the beat up trailers are the ones who are the nicest, most caring, most willing to help in time of need, people around. Then again, some are criminals, but don't judge a book by its cover.

Just my opinion.
I couldn't agree more. I bought my 89 Winnebago this past August so I could take my kids out camping like my parents did with me and my brothers. Sure I'd like to have a brand new rig but that just isn't in the budget. And you know what? My kids couldn't care less. They love heading out with Dad and having a good time. And THAT ladies and gentlemen is what it's all about!
islecop92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #70

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I just get mad at the ones who see an old rig and automatically think 'meth lab'..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote