Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2016, 08:23 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Roof A/C dilemma

Last night, I was cruising this site looking for advice whether to repair or replacing a non-functioning A/C. Unfortunately, it'd been so long since I'd posted, I forgot my password and was unable to ask this question. After a few hours of internet reviews, I decided to take the plunge and this morning, ordered a new Coleman 15K A/C with heat strip at $1100+ installed (Ugh!). I take the RV in on Wednesday for the install. So I get home and start emptying out the fridge and taking out some personal items and on a whim I try to start the A/C once again. Lo and behold, it starts right up and cools wonderfully. I ran it for about 6 hours, stopping and starting it several times and it works just fine.

I plan on going ahead with the new A/C install, but I wonder what could have caused the 24 y/o A/C to just hum and not start before? I tried it on shore power at home, at the campground and on the generator with the same bad result. I hate to trash a now functioning A/C, so if I have it boxed up and put on a shelf in the garage, I'll have a backup for the rear A/C (or gift if I find someone in need).

My question to the group is do any of the A/C experts have any idea what kind of gremlin invaded this Coleman A/C? And what I should do to it to make sure it doesn't happen again?
Enjoying the simple life w/a 1994 Winnebago Brave 31RQ (A). Past RVs; RoadTrek (B), Starcraft Pop-up, Coachmen (C), MinnieWinnie (C) and an American Something-or-other (TT). Started it all off as a teenager in a 1964 Apache Pop-up we named Wag Along.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2016, 08:32 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sometimes the motor bearings freeze up from non use. Maybe that was what happeneed and trying again jolted them loose?
That's one reason to run them every month in storage.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:47 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
You may be right Mr D. I tried the A/C again today and all is well. We keep this RV on shore power and I run the A/Cs on a frequent basis, but maybe bumping along the highway did shake something back into place.
Enjoying the simple life w/a 1994 Winnebago Brave 31RQ (A). Past RVs; RoadTrek (B), Starcraft Pop-up, Coachmen (C), MinnieWinnie (C) and an American Something-or-other (TT). Started it all off as a teenager in a 1964 Apache Pop-up we named Wag Along.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibike View Post
You may be right Mr D. I tried the A/C again today and all is well. We keep this RV on shore power and I run the A/Cs on a frequent basis, but maybe bumping along the highway did shake something back into place.
I had an 88 jayco trailer I bought for $250 and it came with a roof AC that looked original but worked. I rebuilt the complete interior over a one year period,while using the AC during the summer months. After a while it started making noise and then stopped working. If I spun up the fan it would work until the next time. It was the motor bearings. Instead of trying to get a new motor I disassembled it and removed the bearings and made new ones in my little harbor freight lathe using oilite bronze. All fixed and running great. Try spraying some oil on the bearings. That maybe all it needs.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:50 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the insight - I will file it away. Since I'd already ordered a new A/C, I followed through and replaced it. However, since it kept me cool all the way to the repair shop, I had them place it on a pallet and brought it home with me. Now to just find space in my shop . . .
Old 08-17-2016, 07:51 AM   #6

If it was a hum of compressor running but no air movement then fan bearings likely cause or fan capacitor but given it self repaired bearings or something stuck in fan.

But if hum was with air flow but no cool it could be locked up compressor that a bump may have patched.

Carefully handle old one so things do not change and open the cover and inspect it.

Turn the fan with your finger and if stiff then bearings.

If free then maybe capacitor.

If you only have a single unit on your rig and have space and wiring for second then use it.

Oil or replace the bearings and put a power cord on it so you can run it on the ground to test it then put it on as it is "free"
Old 08-17-2016, 07:57 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a mud dobber (aka wasp) build a nest that jammed the fan on a RV air conditioner. A visual inspection for something mind be a place to start.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibike View Post
After a few hours of internet reviews, I decided to take the plunge and this morning, ordered a new Coleman 15K A/C with heat strip at $1100+ installed (Ugh!). I take the RV in on Wednesday for the install. So I get home and start emptying out the fridge and taking out some personal items and on a whim I try to start the A/C once again. Lo and behold, it starts right up and cools wonderfully. I ran it for about 6 hours, stopping and starting it several times and it works just fine.

I plan on going ahead with the new A/C install, but I wonder what could have caused the 24 y/o A/C to just hum and not start before? I tried it on shore power at home, at the campground and on the generator with the same bad result. I hate to trash a now functioning A/C, so if I have it boxed up and put on a shelf in the garage, I'll have a backup for the rear A/C (or gift if I find someone in need).

My question to the group is do any of the A/C experts have any idea what kind of gremlin invaded this Coleman A/C? And what I should do to it to make sure it doesn't happen again?
minibike
I have no idea why your A/C now works but I will offer this advice:

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

(From my own personal experience with my now 20 year old coach I can tell you that once you start replacing things that work you may not have enough $$ left to replace all the things that will NEED to be replaced).

Mel
'96 Safari (148k miles).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:10 AM   #9

Minibike,

Have them take it off carefully and keep all the pieces. It should go for a couple hundred (at least one) on Craig's list.

Tell them you changed it to get the heat strip. You won't regret getting that.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:25 AM   #10

What is a heat strip and how does it work.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:34 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
The heat strip is a heating element option available on most rooftop AC units.

HOWEVER - On some units (like mine) the heat strip is NOT controlled by any thermostat. When you select HEAT, it turns the element on and there is no temperature control. , it stays on until you turn it off.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:33 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
The heat strip is a heating element option available on most rooftop AC units.

HOWEVER - On some units (like mine) the heat strip is NOT controlled by any thermostat. When you select HEAT, it turns the element on and there is no temperature control. , it stays on until you turn it off.
Not the case in my Monaco, the heat strip is right on the choices on my thermostat, and is adjustable on both front and rear A/C's. Work's great to take the chill off on the cool mornings! They do very well down to about 40*, then you need to switch to the furnace! Rail!
Old 08-21-2016, 02:20 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Well, what's done is done. I do have some regret about replacing a "once again" functioning A/C unit, but we live in Florida and A/C is not optional. The rear unit cooled the RV effectively, but located inside the bedroom, it was noisy at night. We also use the generator and roof air while travelling and the rear air just didn't quite make it up to the front seats.

The new Coleman 15K unit is LOUD. Much louder that the older one was. I don't like that. The interior panel is also smaller than the older panel. Since the previous owner had the entire ceiling upholstered, there is a visible gap now (Coleman does not make trim piece - which I would think they would since surely I am not the only person to replace an A/C with a newer model). The louvers on the new unit do not adjust for air flow. You can open or close a vent, but you cannot adjust the direction of the airflow. I haven't tested the heat strip yet, but I expect it to perform as advertised. I guess I'll make the best of it, but it sure would be nice to have that $1100 back in my pocket. I'll cross my fingers and hope nothing else goes wrong. But I give credit to the previous owners of this rig. During their ownership, they maintained this rig meticulously and replaced anything that needed replacing with quality stuff. I guess I feel like it's my responsibility to continue that attitude.

And yes, the old A/C is riding around in the back of my P'up. As soon as I find room in my overcrowded garage to store that thing, I will.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
What is a heat strip and how does it work.
marjoa
A heat strip is a $5O-$60 heating element option available on most rooftop AC units.
Heat strips work the same as, (and provide the same amount of heat as), any $20 1500 watt electric space heater.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof