Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2022, 07:44 AM   #1

Roof Coating For a Fiberglass Roof

I'll post this here also, as it's probably more appropriate. What have you used on your fiberglass roof as a coating, and how well has it worked out?
Kstills is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2022, 05:52 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here's an old thread on this topic. Many have use the Rustoleum product with good results, but there are others available. Search IRV2 on each product mentioned in this post, and you'll get more info.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/rec...ng-524389.html
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 02:46 PM   #3
Official iRV2 Sponsor

What ever roof coating you choose it should be noted that prep work and primer application is crucial to successfully coating fiberglass. The surface should be well sanded to remove all shine and roughen the surface for a better bond. Clean the surface well and before application of any primer, wipe the surface with a white rag dampened with acetone. This will remove fine dust from the surface as well as any residue left from the cleaning process. It will also evaporate almost immediately and leave no residue.
Tim Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 06:02 PM   #4

Why do want to coat the roof?
Old 03-07-2023, 06:21 PM   #5

I went back and forth with this and did a lot of research and concluded that fiberglass makes the best surface when properly maintained so I just buffed it out and waxed it with Marine wax. The penetrations are sealed with a self leveling product like Dicor. My edges are are painted for about 4" and was peeling so I stripped and repainted the edges with base coat/clear coat automotive grade paint shot with a $35 HVLP gun from Amazon, came out great.
One argument to keep it fiberglass is once you coat it with something now you have to maintain that coating and re-do as needed.
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 08:13 AM   #6

I would treat a fiberglass roof like a car or boat. I would paint it and wax it. Mine needs it but it won't happen this year. The chalky fiberglass is probably fine as is but I think some paint would make it last longer. Mine is already 35 years old and I can't tell if it was ever painted.
Old 03-09-2023, 09:41 AM   #7

Poli-glow
Old 03-12-2023, 05:50 PM   #8

Most popular ,if getting chalky and micro pits is Rustoleum Topside paint. There are probably 50 threads using it. You can find Some boat and RV ers have used modest amount of generic clear hardener in it. I think Dicor sells similar for FG also. You can find more durable 2part marine topside paint if you pay more ,those may need primer.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 06:13 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
When we got our "new to us" 2004 Itasca several years ago, the fiberglass roof had a number of dings that I assumed to be some sort of hail damage. The roof appeared to be in really good shape otherwise with no soft spots, delamination or signs of water intrusion. I decided to clean the surface and apply two coats of Dicor Fiberglass RV Roof Coating and have been extremely happy with the results. All I've done since then is to wash it two or three times per year and i fully expect it to last for the life of the coach.

Tags
fiberglass, roof