RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-27-2020, 10:22 PM   #1

Roof Sealant

I'm stripping most of the old sealant off of my roof and re-applying. Does anyone know how much sealant is required for the typical coach?

Front cap joint, rear cap joint, two vents, fridge vent, plumbing vent, skylight, and the big TV antenna baseplate.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2020, 11:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
I'm stripping most of the old sealant off of my roof and re-applying. Does anyone know how much sealant is required for the typical coach?

Front cap joint, rear cap joint, two vents, fridge vent, plumbing vent, skylight, and the big TV antenna baseplate.
Not sure how long your coach is. ( I'm on my phone and signatures don't show up) I just completed my 38' and did the seam along both long side caps so perhaps more than you need. I used 2 tubes of non-leveling lap sealant, 15 tubes of self leveling lap sealant, and 2 tubes of butyl skylight sealant. Also a quart of acetone to clean everything really good before applying. Good luck!
nbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:12 AM   #3

Thanks!
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:50 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When we purchased our new-to-us MH, one of the first things I did was apply Eternabond tape and Dicor caulk to all seams on the roof. A little water can do alot of damage.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
When we purchased our new-to-us MH, one of the first things I did was apply Eternabond tape and Dicor caulk to all seams on the roof. A little water can do alot of damage.

Eternabond is an emergency or last resort repair solution in my opinion. Don't use it to seal your roof. It fails over time just like any other sealant and is an absolute nightmare to remove.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:12 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbluesky View Post
Eternabond is an emergency or last resort repair solution in my opinion. Don't use it to seal your roof. It fails over time just like any other sealant and is an absolute nightmare to remove.
Sorry to disagree!! Yes, it can be used for emergency repairs, but it is not limited to that. Per the Eternabond website "How long does EternaBond® last? Because EternaBond® is made using MicroSealant Technology®, depending on surrounding conditions, EternaBond® has an estimated life expectancy of 18-35 years if applied correctly. The "pre-activated" shelf life of EternaBond®, stored correctly, is 5 years!"
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
Sorry to disagree!! Yes, it can be used for emergency repairs, but it is not limited to that. Per the Eternabond website "How long does EternaBond® last? Because EternaBond® is made using MicroSealant Technology®, depending on surrounding conditions, EternaBond® has an estimated life expectancy of 18-35 years if applied correctly. The "pre-activated" shelf life of EternaBond®, stored correctly, is 5 years!"
I would not want to ever have to remove a roofs worth of eternabond. Just my opinion, lap sealant is much easier to maintain.
Old 11-02-2020, 03:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbluesky View Post
It is not a temporary repair
Like all products must be applied correctly
It will last longer then most people will ever own the MH
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, seal, sealant