Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2011, 01:43 PM   #1

Rookie propane question

I'm so full of rookie questions, it's kind of embarrassing. But here goes...

We recently got a '73 prowler, and I want to make sure I know how to light the propane. Here's a pic.

I've lit gas furnaces and stuff like that a number of times, so I'm familiar with the general process. But I believe the on/off/pilot knob is broken. I think it's the thing just to the right of the red button (yellow arrow)

So... I tried pulling up the on/off/pilot knob and turning it to the right a little bit. Then I pressed the red button, and lit a flame where both red arrows are. No dice. Am I doing it right? Or what am I doing wrong? I suppose there's a chance the tanks are completely empty, but I don't think so.
PapaHepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #2

You light at the right arrow. The left arrow points to your adjustment for the air/fuel ratio. you don't want flame there.
There should be a point on the knob that has a cutout so the red pilot knob can be depressed.
Can you hear a hiss when you're trying to light the pilot?
If it's been a long time since it's been lit, it may take quite a while to get gas to the pilot area. It will be pushing the air out of the system.
Sometimes it helps to light a burner on the stove to get the gas flowing.
Just be sure to have a flame going at the pilot area so gas doesn't build up and POOF!
Hold the red knob down for at least a minute AFTER the pilot lights. This is to heat the thermocouple. If the thermocouple is cold, it shuts off the gas flow for safety.
Lastly, is this a water heater or furnace? You shouldn't light the water heater and let it run if it isn't full of water.
n9iui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The on -off knob should be plastic and at the yellow arrow. The knob should have an Off, pilot and on position. In the pilot position there should be a half circle notch allowing the red pilot push button to be depressed and held down. Light the pilot at the right red arrow and hold the button down fro about 30 to 45 seconds to allow the thermocouple to warm which generates a potential which will open and hold the feed valve open. Once the pilot is lighted, you can turn the on-pilot-off valve to on or run.

Make sure the propane is on and first light a burner on the stove and let it burn for a couple of minutes. This will help clear the propane lines to that point. You may have to really hold the pilot valve down fro a while to get the line cleared that far.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
You are missing the plastic button that goes on top of the valve shown by the yellow arrow, to the right of the red button that you depress for lighting the pilot. I would look at most any RV salvage place or even RV service places. There should be some lying around from water heaters that have been replaced...............hope that helps.................ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane