Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2018, 02:19 PM   #1

RV AC Issues

Hello again,
So many of you read my intro post and initial issues found with owning my 1989 Coachmen Class C. I am a teacher and wanted to embrace living minimally so I purchased this RV and my kids and I really have enjoyed our first month and a half, issues and all. However, it took all my summer pay to purchase and keep afloat. I lost some money due to learning curves and tricks of the trade. I am dangerously low on funds and as a result parked at a friends for a week or so to recover what I have lost as we adjust.

I did hook up to house power and I know this is not ideal but I can no longer afford RV parks or even state parks until I get paid again after the new school year starts. I did go out and purchase a 30 amp cord with 10 gauge and for the past two and a half days we have had no issues. The only thing running is the AC. Today we tripped the breaker so I let it rest a while. Since then, it has shut off twice but no breaker was tripped on the RV or the House. However, I have an onboard house battery charger and I wonder if when it tries to charge and kicks on to begin charging, if that in turn kicks the AC off. What do you guys think? The wires are not hot, the AC when on runs fine- as usual. I need thoughts considering my situation. Turning the entire thing off and staying inside the friends house is not the ideal situation but I know it is an option. I am more concerned with troubleshooting the RV.
Abrum81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2018, 03:19 PM   #2

Also, can I plug into the dryer outlet of the house?
Old 07-16-2018, 03:55 PM   #3

Thats and older class C.

I don't think they had energy management systems in them, back then.

You say the AC shut off but no breakers tripped. How did it come back on ?

NO, DO NOT use a dryer outlet. It shouldn't fit anyway. Your RV is 120 volt, 30 amps.

A dryer is 240 volts, 30 amps. The extra voltage will burn out everything.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:21 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Abrum

Did you look into workkamping at a campground? Working for your lot rent? Lot's of people do that. Can be mowing lawns, maintaining the pool, cleaning bathrooms and laundry rooms. That type of stuff. State parks will often let you stay free for an exchange for work. It's not fulltime, mostly 24 hrs a week depending on the place. See if you can find one.

Good luck, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:33 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Mine does the same thing when the outside temperature is over 95 I've been told by a AC repairman that it is probably low on freon btw mine is a 1983 Revcon
Snufy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Abrum

Did you look into workkamping at a campground? Working for your lot rent? Lot's of people do that. Can be mowing lawns, maintaining the pool, cleaning bathrooms and laundry rooms. That type of stuff. State parks will often let you stay free for an exchange for work. It's not fulltime, mostly 24 hrs a week depending on the place. See if you can find one.

Good luck, Lynne
Yes I have tried but only one park has gotten back to me and they want someone a little more long term at the moment. I am sure next summer I will be able to plan my trips around hosting.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:38 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are all sorts of RV repair videos on YouTube. RV Repair Club is one. Search YouTube and see if you can find a solution.

Don't know if your friends would be willing to allow you to put in a RV 30 amp hook up at their house but I read somewhere here that running an a/c from a 110 plug in is very difficult on the a/c unit. Installing a 30 amp RV hook up at their house may resolve that. Not sure of the cost and if it would work either but then you could have full use of your rigs appliances.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:22 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Your comment about the AC tripping off when the onboard charger kicks in makes it sound like the charger has a "load shed" sensor and you are trying to run too many demands for the system. One reason could be the extension cord you are using. The length of it may be the culprit, because there is always a voltage drop directly proportional to length. Running your AC with low voltage will damage it (brown-out levels) so the fact that it trips off could be in your favor, preventing the AC from damage. If I were you, I would ask a certified RVIA tech for advice.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:46 PM   #9
RC

Hello Abrum81:

I know I'm a little late to this party, but thought I would add some info for you.

If you are using a 115 volt household type 15 amp adapter on your 30 amp shoreline cable, it will start and run your A/C just fine. Your A/C unit probably draws about 10-12 amps when it is running.

If you add another load of say 3 to 5 more amps your are at the maximum load, which is OK if all connection are clean and tight.

The problem is "Inrush Current" for the A/C compressor start up, which is three to six times the running current. This also holds true for the other start up loads.

The A/C compressor has an overload reset in it which will kick out if voltage drops to much on start up. As voltage drops, the current goes up, the compressor motor will try to make its rated HP one way or another.

There are available addons called A/C start relays, they are a booster capacitor relay unit that helps reduce the compressor startup current. These are 50-60 dollars but really help and extend compressor life. They can be found at Camping World or any commercial HVAC company/installer.

Hope this helps. Take care.
Robert

P.S.
I read about your other adventures, don't despair to much most problems are smaller than they seem at first. A volt meter, test light, and a cheap tool kit from Harbor Freight plus a 1/2 inch drive, 18"-24" lenth breaker over bar will get you through most of it.
RC is offline   Reply With Quote