Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2018, 05:30 PM   #1

RV Onan Generator

4.0 Genset
Hello everyone can someone tell me what is the correct speed for the generator to run and if it runs too high is that a problem! I increased the idle speed as it was pulsing ! I do not have any equipment to measure it electronically so I’m doing it by ear!
Thanks in advance!
Nicolaskev is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2018, 05:34 PM   #2

Your genset absolutely has to run at a specific speed in order to produce power at 60hz.

It would be more helpful if you provided the model number of the genset, I am sure some has those specs. BTW, there is no idle speed, these things run at pretty much one rpm.

Good luck.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:07 PM   #3

Some multi-meters include a Hz measurement setting. AC power should read 60 cycles. Lacking that, you could plug an old analog clock in and check the time after an hour. This would only give you a real rough speed reading. You might need to clean the carb to smooth the idle speed.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:23 PM   #4

3600 RPMs will give you 60 cycles for a direct drive 4000 watt gas generator.

Raising the RPMs increases the cycles and voltage.

Buy a Kill A Watt ( $25. ) meter and plug it in. Then you can readjust the RPMs to 60 cycles.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 03:07 AM   #5

Is this an inverter type generator? Those types of generators adjust their rpm based on load because they convert ac to dc and then back to ac. If you have one of these, I believe you can adjust the idle without issue, but to be sure you should check your users manual.

If you have a gas generator that runs at a constant rpm, then yes that rpm needs to be maintained to produce the correct hz and voltage. Most gas generators in RV’s are 3600 rpm and most diesel are 1800.

Cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 02:53 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Model number would help, you can just do a Google search once you find it.

I have a 2000 Onan 5.5 BGM which is a gas 5500 watt generator with electronic regulator and idle control. The idle spec is 1800 RPM.

I googled "Onan 4.0 Genset" and found a manual for a 4.0 BFA which is gas and the idle spec is 1800 RPM.

When you say "pulsing" do you mean surging?
Randalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:59 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
If the gennie is surging, then you need to correct that issue. Increasing the RPMs is not the way to do it, and yes, it will cause problems.

One of the most common causes of surging is old crud from evaporated gasoline in the carb; to clean it up, unhook the gas line and stick it in a gas can filled with one gallon of gasoline and one can of SeaFoam. Crank 'er up and let the gennie run for the entire gallon, probably a couple hours.

Download[ this troubleshooting guide
https://www.flightsystems.com/pdf/on...ting-guide.pdf

If you need parts or technical assistance, these guys are super.
http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcart/
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 10:35 PM   #8

HoneyBadger,
I don't need either of the links you provided right now, but I did look at them and have saved them for future reference!
Thanx for the info.
bobsea43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 07:04 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
If the gennie is surging, then you need to correct that issue. Increasing the RPMs is not the way to do it, and yes, it will cause problems.

One of the most common causes of surging is old crud from evaporated gasoline in the carb; to clean it up, unhook the gas line and stick it in a gas can filled with one gallon of gasoline and one can of SeaFoam. Crank 'er up and let the gennie run for the entire gallon, probably a couple hours.

When I bought my Southwind, my genny was surging so I did like you said to run the genny on a seafoam mix. Cured the surging but when the load was removed it would stall out.

The reason is with the load removed the 60 Hz would quickly climb and the regulator would shut down the engine.

The cause was the rpm was too high and the electronic governor couldn't lower the idle. This was because someone had turned the hard stop on the carb three full turns to try to calm the surging.

It now idles lower at 1800 rpm, is quieter and uses less fuel.
Randalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:28 PM   #10

Info

Thank u for taking the time to reply! I kinda figured it out, like u suggest I reckon there is only one idle speed but I turned it up slightly to stop it pulsing and it runs fine , so I think I’m good!
Have a great new year and once again thanks for the reply!
Old 12-26-2018, 04:31 PM   #11

Yes it was surging and I turned it up slightly and it stopped so I think I’m good!
Btw ! Thank u for the input
Old 12-26-2018, 04:56 PM   #12

Ok gentlemen I recently installed an EMS progressive industries system to my rig! Surely my remote in the cabin will regester The voltage from my generator! I’d have to put in by pass mode presumably!
Old 12-26-2018, 06:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolaskev View Post
Ok gentlemen I recently installed an EMS progressive industries system to my rig! Surely my remote in the cabin will regester The voltage from my generator! I’d have to put in by pass mode presumably!
Unless it is not putting any electricity out. Do 110 items work on the genny, stuff like the fridge or microwave?
Old 12-26-2018, 08:06 PM   #14

Hi there thanks for the reply! Yes surging ! I did turn up the governor and it stopped, I had installed a EMS progressive Industries system wow I figured it out and saw that on the cabin remote it was getting 59 so I’m good thAnks!
Someone else with a ELectrical Management System three me that curve!

Tags
generator, onan