Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2015, 02:16 PM   #1

RV reno newbie with some questions...

Hi everyone...

I'm a newbie to RV renos, so I'm hoping for some help in getting started on the right foot.

We have a '79 35ft Terry travel trailer. It has an auxiliary roof on it and a full length addition along side it (the rear 1/2 is an enclosed room and the front 1/2 is a covered porch). It sits on our recreational property in WA State.

The addition is only a couple of years old and only after it was almost complete did we start to question the sanity of building something so costly alongside such an old RV. Oh well.. hindsight is 20/20, I guess.

Anyway, we’d like to renovate the interior of the trailer to #1. make it a bit more functional and #2. bring the interior into this millennium.

Step one will be to paint all of the walls and cabinetry. Before we get started, I have a few questions…

1. Is priming necessary or will a good-quality paint/primer combo do the trick?
2. Our cabinets have the doors that swing upward. There are hinges and struts as well. Is there some trick or tip to removing the doors and also to reinstalling them?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1573.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	546.2 KB
ID:	103040  
Andrina72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2015, 11:50 PM   #2

Depending on the surface, combo primer/paint, just won't bond , require an etching primer, for glossy surfaces. Etching primer will bond to glass or ceramic tiles, so will do to prime anything.
Most of the hinges are of questionable quality , as far a manufacture tolerance is concerned , so mark every door and hinge placement to make sure the go beck in the exact same place, or you may find screw holes that don't line up and doors hung at odd angles.
I've never seen a door strut the wasn't straight forward as far as removal, if you've got something that's different , could you post a picture ?
Old 08-14-2015, 04:14 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Painting the inside should be something like painting an old kitchen in a house. Need to clean the years of grease and smoke first, then a good primer.

Looking forward to interior pictures.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Painting the inside should be something like painting an old kitchen in a house. Need to clean the years of grease and smoke first, then a good primer.

Looking forward to interior pictures.

ronspradley
Thanks to both of you... I figured that it would be like painting old kitchen cabinets in a house... but I wanted to double check.

I'll definitely be posting some photos along the way. Here are a couple of what it looks like now. (the only reason we're renovating is purely cosmetic and functional/space-wise... other than being ugly as sin, everything works perfectly and is in tip-top condition considering its age)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00M0M_cHFVrHuR3ir_600x450.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	103331   Click image for larger version

Name:	00t0t_sVil6lOci3_600x450.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	103332  

Andrina72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:09 PM   #5
bap

looks nice and comfy to me,,,,,,not ugly at all,,,,,,look forward to more pics
Old 08-18-2015, 11:08 PM   #6

The cabinets in an RV is many times NOT the same as wooden cabinets in a house. The RV cabinets/doors are generally vinyl laminated, which is a plastic sheeting that imitates a wood look, so many paints that are used on real wood products don't stick well, even when using wood primer.

You will probably need to use a particular KILZ primer first, that is designed to stick to plastic laminate, which of course will determine what type top-coat paint you need to prevent peeling/cracking paint separation from primer.

As another member pointed out, the hinges will need to be marked to reinstall in same position due to drill holes and alignment.
JaycoEagle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:22 AM   #7
bap

i have actually been able to peel that layer off and then sand then paint,,or just use a palm sander and start with a courser paper then fine it down a little, then paint,,,
.....both have worked very well for me..i will see if i can find before and after pics of some we have done this way..

Tags