Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #1

Seat recovering/ replacement

We have a older Rockwood DriftWood and would like to recover or replace the Captain seats and swivel chair. Have looked around but have not seen anything we like yet. Has anyone did this their self and how did it turn out. Have never done this type of work before so not sure how are where to start. Would like to see so picture if you have any.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Great question LG! I have an older coach too and would like to do the same. Mine are the typical 1998 Flex steel seats. The PO has redone every thing except these seats and the front curtain.
The seats may be a challenge??
RoscoeAndTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
KIX

Maybe you could buy newer seats that don't need recovering from a motorhome salvage yard like Colaw ot Visione.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #4

our Captains chairs were weathered, worn and dirty from the prior owners dog using them. We priced new Capt's chairs but were out of our budget so we cleaned them the best we could and lived with it. About a month ago we stopped into camping world and found slip covers for the chairs and purchased those. They fit pretty well and look a lot better and were "budget friendly" at around $75.00.
As far as the chair is concerned we threw our small recliner out and purchased a leather Euro recliner at an RV salvage dealer in Elkhart Indiana. The chair was under $300 (with ottoman) and is a brand new chair, just left over from the manufacturer.

here is a link to my online photos showing the chairs.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1086387...75/RVProjects#
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #5

I don't what kind of material you have or what kind of shape they are in but last year I pulled both my driver's seat and passenger's seat out, removed the covers and washed the covers.
I also did it to the dinette benches and the pull-out couch. I used cold water in the washing machine on the delicate cycle and tumble dried them, no heat. Then I let them finish drying on our screened in patio.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeAndTam View Post
Great question LG! I have an older coach too and would like to do the same. Mine are the typical 1998 Flex steel seats. The PO has redone every thing except these seats and the front curtain.
The seats may be a challenge??
Our front curtain was frayed, worn and had stains from the windshield condensation over the years. We priced out new ones and would love to have the fancy MCD shades but double ! We decided, on our budget, to use heavy duty shower curtain liners. We bought 4 panels at Wal Mart in a dark tan color and hung them in place. We then cut them to size with scissors. Was very easy to do and they seem to keep more light out and are better at insulating then the old pleated ones. You can click on the link in post above to see photos of these as well.

Phil

ps: the wrinkles in the curtains are coming out with the heat of the sun on them.
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Wackymac, when you washed your covers, did you have a lot of trouble stretching them back over the seats. I want to do the same thing , maybe even using some Rit dye or something to even out the sun-faded areas, but I have been afraid to tackle it.
knugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:04 AM   #8

Knugent---They didn't shrink at all. I used the gentle cycle in the washer and COLD water. Tumble dried for a while with NO heat and then let them air dry. On the back of the Captains chairs I slid a garbage bag over the back before I slid on the covers. This made the covers easier to put on. There was already some plastic there from the factory. You will need to get some hog rings and the pliers to put them on as the covers were attached with them underneath the seats. Also take plenty of pictures as you disassemble them. I actually started this project with our dining room chairs in our s & b home and it worked so good I decided to tackle the motorhome.
There was no scrinkage with any of the material. I think the important thing is to use NO heat in either the washing or drying.

Tags
replace, replacement