Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2019, 07:49 AM   #1

Shakedown Cruise's

After 4 short trips and all new belts hoses, fixing any and every thing I could find wrong. It feels like its ready to fly no major noises runs great (knocking on wood) we are heading to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon for a quick trip.
Greg20d is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2019, 08:11 AM   #2

Don't forget the tool box, WD-40 & duct tape!
Rick Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:25 AM   #3

Oh trust me I have tools ...lol
Greg20d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Morgan View Post
Our first RV was a poorly repaired super bargain toy hauler. We ended up purchasing and using NASCAR 12” wide duct tape on trips. We can look back now and laugh, now.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:52 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Good luck. For me, that first shake down after major work is always unsettling.

Here is a report from my shakedown after some major engine work last fall:

Upgrade report – A little more power and better fuel economy – 1999 Southwind 35S
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:53 AM   #6

Quote:
if you can't fix it with duck tape you might need a electrican
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:13 PM   #7

Get a roll of Eternabond Tape.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:58 PM   #8

Our first motorhome was a '78 Superior with a 440 Dodge engine. On one of our runs as I pulled away from a stop sign we heard a terrible noise! A motor mount had broken & let the engine drop so low the fan was hitting the radiator shroud. We jacked the motor up an zip-tied a wrench under the mount to get clearance, and feathered the gas pedal all the way home!
Rick Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:09 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In Feb 2015 we bought a nice 2009 Country Coach. Our shakedown was from OR to AZ and back. About 40 miles short of home the engine blew. 3 months and $33,000 we had it back. Then the late wife was diagnosed with liver cancer. It wasn't a good first trip.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Our first motorhome was a '78 Superior with a 440 Dodge engine. On one of our runs as I pulled away from a stop sign we heard a terrible noise! A motor mount had broken & let the engine drop so low the fan was hitting the radiator shroud. We jacked the motor up an zip-tied a wrench under the mount to get clearance, and feathered the gas pedal all the way home!
I LOVE IT!!
We bought our first unit in the mid 80's. It was a 69 Dodge Travco. I called it an "aggravationel vehicle" Our first trip was with the kids to Busch Gardens. On the way back it started to overheat based on the temp gauge. I swapped out the sending unit hoping that was the real issue, but the gauge still read too hot. Spent the night in a radiator repair shops parking lot. I tore half the front end off before I could remove that radiator. Well, they unsoldered it and guess what? Nearly perfect inside! Turns out the original temp gauge was bad! Dang! Put in an aftermarket gauge from a local auto parts store and that was that. We've owned 2 motorhomes since then and one of the first things I do is install an aftermarket temp gauge. Nothing wrong with having a second opinion!!
Harris
rcnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:27 PM   #11

Mid-July Shakedown

We had our 1996 Flair on a 2500 mile trip from CA to Vegas, Zion and Grand Canyon, in mid July of last year. This was the first shake down trip since purchasing the coach from my mom.
I replaced belts, hoses, filters, tires, and brakes before the trip. The only thing that died on the trip was the generator ignition module. Luckily I planned all of our overnight stops to have full hook ups. That decision kept the wife and kid happy throughout the trip.