Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #1

She's dead, Jim.

My partner and I were on our way back from Galena IL yesterday, and we suffered a catastrophic hub failure of the driver's side hub. The wheel sheared through 3 of the 4 axle bolts, throwing the wheel up into wheel well above the remains of the hub.

Two of the lugs were brand new, as this exact same issue happened Friday night as we pulled into the campground. We chalked it up to mechanical failure on the axle bolts, hunted around Dubuque, IA on Sunday and got her up and running again. A second opinion at the time confirmed my analysis that the hub was okay - grease looked good, spun freely, bearing packs were not significantly worn (since they were repacked two years ago and only had about 200 miles on them), and there were no other obvious issues.

Once we left the campground, she pulled straight and fine behind us. A brief check after about twenty minutes on the road showed the new axle bolts holding fine and true, and we were under way again.

As we came around the big turn into Elizabeth IL, the driver's side wheel sheared loose repeating our experience from Friday night. We were stuck, all of our gear in the trailer and four adults in the truck. I managed to get a look and a feel underneath, and the hub was frozen. What grease was still present was the equivalent of 10w50 motor oil.

Faced with this situation, and the fact that a tow + new axle for the trailer would have easily cost more than the trailer itself three times over, we made the difficult decision to scrap her on the spot. We stripped out what we could, and let the salvage guy have the rest.

So, while we are extremely grateful that neither us nor anyone else was hurt or injured, we are a bit sad that our faithful companion has gone to the Scrapyard in the sky. We learned a lot from her about the things that work for us, the things that don't, and the things we want/need in our RV. now, it's time to save some more currency and find a new Companion.

Be safe out there folks. Despite our best efforts, the risk of disaster is never far away.
Nhytefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Free spirited...

Sounds like a great adventure, I am sure there is something great out there for you.
Keep us posted what you find.
I use Craigslist a lot.
Good Luck Jim
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
Free spirited...

Sounds like a great adventure, I am sure there is something great out there for you.
Keep us posted what you find.
I use Craigslist a lot.
Good Luck Jim
Aye, thank you for the warm wishes. After all, it isn't the destination, it's the journey.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Well, what a bummer. Sorry to hear that the Trailstar has gone to that big salvage yard in the sky. Hope you can find a new rig soon.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhytefall View Post
After all, it isn't the destination, it's the journey.
You've got the right attitude This could be just the opportunity you've been looking for to get something totally different to restore and enjoy

- Randy
Old 07-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #6

Dang that sucks. I live in Galena. Never an easy decision to let old faithful go
JIMZZ2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like grade 5 bolts to me.. Grade 8 harder to snap.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWayRand View Post
You've got the right attitude This could be just the opportunity you've been looking for to get something totally different to restore and enjoy

- Randy
Couldn't agree more, Randy. In retrospect, this did save us a potential disaster on our honeymoon in September, and made our (potential) relocation plans a tad bit easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMZZ2006 View Post
Dang that sucks. I live in Galena. Never an easy decision to let old faithful go
Small world indeed! We stayed at the Palace Campgrounds, and their hospitality was amazing. Especially when we broke down in their driveway Friday evening. Highly recommended to anyone passing through that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Sounds like grade 5 bolts to me.. Grade 8 harder to snap.
Aye, the old bolts were Grade 5. We replaced the missing ones with Grade 8's, but I can't help but wonder if the damage was already done and the strain was too much.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That is possible, sometimes when bolts snap like that the hole enlarges.. When that happens there is some movement that should not be and teh shock snaps even the better bolt. There are some other considerations as well, Like how much of the bolt is threaded..

I use quarter inch grade 8 bolts as shear pins in my main slide out, Used to call them toothpicks cause they snapped like toothpicks, Finally learned about theads (keep them out of the shear area) and got longer bolts, added washers to make up for the lack of threads and started replacing them far, far, far less often. I stil buy 'em by the dozen though.. just not every year. Thanks to another forum member for the info on the smooth v/s threaded portion of the bolt.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #10

Bummer, as you said though, I am glad you are safe!
Funrover is offline   Reply With Quote