Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2022, 02:57 PM   #1

Shocks/steering stabilizer

I know Iím going to get a lot of different recommendations but Iíd like to know what brand the group would advise on replacing the front shocks and steering stabilizer would be

1996 F-53 Tiffin.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2022, 04:08 AM   #2

Your right - every one has an opinion on what’s best and will seem to argue to the death on which is better.

Me, I buy what my wallet allows me to - on both coaches that we have had - Bilstein shocks because RockAuto generally has had the best pricing with shipping included. Others will say Koni’s are best.

I would also recommend you look at your jounce bumpers (rubber bumper between the frame and axles) as well. 1996 jounces are getting pretty old and may not be complete, or have the elasticity they once had. For replacements there, go with Sumo’s.

Good for you that your looking at replacing shocks! Most people never give them a 2nd thought. Both of our coaches, at least 2 of the shocks were shot.
Old 08-22-2022, 07:55 AM   #3

On the F-53 chassis, I couldn't find any information that convinced me to replace our shocks with Koni shocks. On diesel rigs, there seems to be some good reasons for using Koni shocks. So, I went with Bilstein shocks because they were less costly. You could consider putting Koni shocks on the front and Bilstein shocks on the rear if you think the Koni shocks could be a little better for the front.

I added the Roadmaster return center steering stabilizer to our rig and it was well worth it.

But tire pressure can be the bigger influence on ride quality and steering control. Using axle weights (can't find a place for 4 corner weight measurement) and the Toyo tire inflation chart for my tires improved the ride and stability of our rig.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks, steering