Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2018, 11:45 AM   #1

Should I buy 1984 Holiday Rambler Alumalite info needed

Hi,

I just attended my first vintage rally and decided to look for one.

A 1984 Holiday Rambler just came up for sale locally advertised as vintage. I think "Classic" is actually the correct terminology to take it to rallies. Being completely new to this area I thought at $10000 in good shape was ok but the transporter I contacted who is going to look at it with me said that was a crazy price and they are not sought after RV's if I ever have to resell it.

The range is so wide doing google searches I was hoping someone could give me an idea. Not planning to resell, rather convert to a tiny home.
Chelsea23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2018, 11:54 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
You don't plan on making money, or even breaking even, on any RV purchase (I know, there are exceptions).
But 10K seems a bit steep to me for an '84.
My '96 Southwind that ran great and was in very good condition inside sold for 8.5K through the dealer that I traded it to.
It could be that a Holiday Rambler is just worth more money than a Southwind, but it's still 12 years older.
Perhaps I'm missing something, but be sure that at least they give you a bit of kiss before you make that particular deal.

If you love it, and it's worth 10k to YOU, then go for it.
Just know that you'll likely not get it back.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:59 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
4K is much more in the ball park for a 1984 gas motorhome.

You might POSSIBLY pay 10K for a Wanderlodge or a Foretravel of that vintage, but for anything else, you are going to need to go into the purchase with several thousand in reserve for replacements and repairs that will need doing pretty much right away.

If the owner could show recent receipts for new tires, new roof, new ACs, replaced belts and hoses, upgraded electrical systems, service records for engine and trans you could increase that $4K price tags by several thousand, but not much more.

IMHO, of course.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:00 PM   #4

Lot of variables, probably has a p30 chevy chassis. Those engines were not made for much more than 100k miles. Rebuilding the engine will run $6,000. The front end has to be greased every 3k miles, if it hasn't been cared for the front end work is $2000. I just spent $750 on parts for my generator. Lots of expensive repairs if not cared for properly.
jlathem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:13 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Don't know how familiar you are with old MH, but probably the most important aspect of any "classic" motor home is whether it leaks or has suffered significant leaks in the past.

If you can see any rippling or bulges in the sides as you look down them, this is delamination and means the MH has had significant water damage inside the walls, which means ROT. Water intrusion is then death knell for old RVs, although they may sit in low-budget RV parks for many years before the roof actually starts falling in.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:35 PM   #6

10K might be a little steep, but condition is everything. The Holiday Rambler was a high quality build and will have weathered the years better than most, IF its been well cared for. At that price point it should be VERY nice with all systems working and no signs of water damage past or present.

As a reference, I bought my '88 Vogue a year ago at about that price, I feel I paid a little too much, but in the end I'm ok with the money. I instantly fell in love with the quirky charm of the old beast and I knew that some emotional attachment would help me justify the time and money that these "classics" will always require. Resale value was not a concern (nor has it been for any purchase in my life).

Gary
Old 11-16-2018, 01:48 PM   #7

Thank you for the thoughtful replies. I am terrified of water intrusion due to severe mold allergies and have found issues with several Airstreams I looked at.

I sounds like it is worth a close inspection, see if it is as lovely as the pictures, and not be afraid to negotiate for a few thousand less.

Chelsea
Old 11-16-2018, 08:26 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Travel Trailer

Mike,

The trailer I am currently considering is a 24 ft Alumalite XL travel trailer.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:43 PM   #9

I advise you to check around and find a reputable inspection service and use them before you purchase. There are so many things that can be wrong, especially with your allergies. If the unit has been exposed to road salts the frame could be weak and ready to break. Even if it’s a southern unit and the steel has no rust issues there can still be stress problems with some models that can cause a frame failure.

I opened up siding on a used trailer we purchased for my dad to replace the shower so it would easier for him to use. I found extreme water damage that had been very well hidden by one of the previous owners. We’re talking rotted and black wood. You would never have guessed there was an issue without looking inside the siding.

Most owners will be truthful about the condition of the coach. But they might be unawares of misbehaving by previous owners. So my advice is to find an inspector you trust and depend upon them to help you not make a bad purchase. Also, when you get into that age of coach there has been lots of opportunities for mistakes in maintenance.

Your coach is out there. You just have to find it.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:57 AM   #10

Vintage Holiday Rambler

Again, I appreciate all the informative responses. I guess after attending the local vintage rally and thinking I wanted one of my own because they are so much more aesthetically appealing to me than the newer models, I was not thinking things completely through.

Best to look for something that has had a total frame off restoration from a known vintage restoration builder. In fact, I did have allergy issues flare up while viewing all the vintage trailers at the rally.

I had no idea about possible frame issues either however the transporter did say he recently moved a purchase for a gentleman and the sides started to peel off while he was on the highway as well as to stay completely away from the Airstream I mentioned to him that lives at a beach rv park.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:33 AM   #11

I can understand why you fell in love with the Aluminite, they are the truly beautiful of the classics in my opinion. And your coach is out there, you just haven’t found each other yet.

I have bad news for you, the new coach isn’t the answer either when it comes to a trouble free experience. If you go through the forums you will see/hear of countless nightmare experiences from new coach owners. A friend dropped $70,000.00 plus on a fifth wheel this summer, towed it 14 miles to a Corps of Engineers campground and had one of the worst Labor Day’s of his life. He had paid cash for it to boot.

RV’rs are a tight crowd and love to help newbies so jump in at get togethers and someone will know of a good deal on a good coach that will work for you.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:53 PM   #12

^^^Great advise!^^^
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:48 PM   #13

I bought the 29’ and couldn’t be happier. I like the fact the the interior framing is all aluminum and I don’t have to worry about it rotting or rusting.
You may want to replace the converter which is in the belly and accessed through a panel in the bottom.
That is the only thing outside of regular maintenance that we had fix. Wish you the best with yours.
Drenthe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holiday rambler