Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #1

Silicone Caulking

In my wanderings around the forum I have come across numerous comments about NOT using silicone caulking. I told DH about it, and to get butyl based caulk instead. He's good with that, but wondered why not silicone caulk. He uses it around the house so what is different about the applications on an RV?

I've gotten very up close and personal with the exterior of our 94' 5th wheel this last week, and have found that many of the running lights and assorted covers have been caulked with silicone. Most is still holding strong. Should we at some point be thinking about removing said caulking?

But, I also read that it's next to impossible to remove the residue to apply a different caulk. There is one seam that the silicone caulk came off of that must be recaulked. What does one have to do to remove the silicone residue without eating the paint off the aluminum siding?

This newbie would love to hear the thoughts of those of you in the know!
one-nighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Simple, yer house doesn't fled like and RV, and silicone pops easily and leaves a residue behind that makes it difficult to adhere and replacement sealant in the same spot.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Silicone is fine to use on the RV, around the sink and shower. Outside in the sun, its sometimes makes a big mess, and nothing else will ever stick to it or its residue if it ever needs to be removed.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
For removing silicone, use . . . (drum roll) . . . "Silicone Caulk Remover" and elbow grease. It is available at places like Home Depot and Lowe's. It's not hard to find.

Silicone Caulk Remover
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Simple, yer house doesn't fled like and RV

Hey Redneck!
Usually I can figure things out from the context, but this time I'm completely stumped....

Translation, please!

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:40 PM   #6

[QUOTE=Kurmudgeon;969467]For removing silicone, use . . . (drum roll) . . . "Silicone Caulk Remover" and elbow grease. It is available at places like Home Depot and Lowe's. It's not hard to find.

I did not know there was such a thing! Thanks! I'm off to Home Depo to see what I can find.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

Hey Redneck!
Usually I can figure things out from the context, but this time I'm completely stumped....

Translation, please!

Francesca
Fled = Flex, fat finger syndrome today....
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:03 PM   #8

Many roof materials are not compatible with silicone caulk and this is the reason for recommending something else. Silicone caulk will not properly adhere to a rubber roof and may actually cause damage over time. Silicone caulk cannot be used over the top of a lap sealant such as Dicor (and vice versa) as they will not stick to each other. Silicone caulk can be used in many applications with the proper roofing material and depending upon the kind of caulking you are doing. New installations of a satellite antenna on a metal or fiberglass roof will likely do very well with silicone. Trying to re-caulk a roof seam with incompatible caulk will cause less than desirable results.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:49 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That silicone caulk remover left a lot to be desired when I tryed to remove some with it. It maybe helped some but was not the magic eraser.

Still took a lot of elbow grease and a good plastic scraper
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:33 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
That silicone caulk remover left a lot to be desired when I tryed to remove some with it. It maybe helped some but was not the magic eraser.

Still took a lot of elbow grease and a good plastic scraper
x2 squared

Rather than using typical cheap homeowners caulk, spring for an elastomeric caulk, which has the ability to stretch and flex as your RV rolls down the road. Dicor is the gold standard, since it is compatible with pretty much all materials, but if you don't have a rubber roof you have more choices. We used 3M 5200 marine sealant.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
I've had pretty good luck using a heat gun to remove old caulk...
And choice of new depends on the use- If you're removing/reinstalling things like windows, vents, etc. butyl tape is my sealant of choice.

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #12

Wow! Such good information. Thanks so much.

I finally got a good look at the roof last night and I'll be spending some quality time recaulking. DH is fairly sure it's an aluminum roof, with what's left of a "Snow Coat" type product on top. For the most part it's in OK shape. The back corners definitely need recaulking NOW! Where I think the roof seams are one side moves a bit where maybe the tape has come lose? It's hard to say because on the surface it's all smooth.

We're not going to do much at this point other than the back corners. The fall rains and winter snow are going to be here too soon for any type of major roof overhaul. We are planning a couple of short trips just to try things out, then we'll cover him up till spring.

I will post a few picture and hope some of you "been there, done that" folks can help us formulate our plan of attack come spring.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Silicone caulk, when exposed to sun and flexing, will develop micro-fissures. The will eventually lead to leaks. Additionally, many of the RV materials will not adhere with silicone caulk.

For roof and end cap seams you cannot beat Eternabond. Just make sure it is clean where you are putting it and you have it where you want it to be placed.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:46 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Apparently there is a new generation caulking available for sidewall caulking. I believe it's called Geocell. I may be wrong on the name. Camping World sells it.

Many of the RV manufacturers are using it. Much better than silicone because it 'latches' itself into the paint.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote