Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2007, 08:14 PM   #29

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Inalabama:
Yeah... I've been having thoughts of doing this fulltime... rebuilds.
There really isn't enough room for the shower
I want to keep this somewhat small, and light so I can afford to tow it... It's just me and a little 13 lb Jack Russell, ya know! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is there enough profit in flipping trailers? Come here I will help!

Nope not that kind of shower, like a baby shower, like a housewarming, where you get gifts! Like the things you were mentioning in your other post.

Oh and just got an email from the guy it looks like I will own a trailer soon!!

Deb
thewarriorchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2007, 08:29 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Congrats thewarriorchild....
I hope it comes to fruition and you can then move full steam ahead!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:31 PM   #31

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Inalabama:
Yeah... I've been having thoughts of doing this fulltime... rebuilds... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can probably make just as much profit on "flipping" trailers as you can doing self bus conversions (they sell for well below what is in them... not counting the blood, sweat and time the folks put into them).
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:34 PM   #32

oh... I agree... but the enterpise wouldn't be so much about the money as the experience. I love to make, build, and restore things. It probably wouldn't take long before I'd have 4 or 5 of them in a fleet.
This trailer is being setup very much in mind for anti-boondocking camping.
I think the next one needs to be the direct opposite; purely for boondocking.

The travel trailer market is saturated with thousands of FEMA trailers; some of those are brand new!
Inalabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:58 PM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
Inalabama, If I ever need work like you are doing to your trailer I'm going to talk business!!! You do great work!!! I saw the roof on mine today and I'm sorry but I forgot the camera!! I have to go back down there tomorrow as I have to pick up parts for my cousins car...you know how it is with family, You are the only male within 500 miles or so , and you can do...miracles with whatever and do it with nothing! I have a 91 year old aunt a cousin that lives with her and two of her three kids around. The one boy is over in Iraq and that leaves...me! with four,No count them,Five females to keep with wheels!!
I thought I would get a vacation while our rv is in the shop nooo!! That was the cattle call for lets get Danny to fix.....
Hope all is going well with everyone and your stories are better than mine! Capt.Dan
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:22 PM   #34

Ehh... just remember what Dad told me;

"When it falls apart and you're at 8000 foot of altitude... you fall out of the sky really fast!"

Understanding the crash at the end makes the repairs easy to do. And I never ever want to go back and redo anything; it's a defeat of my intelligence.

I was just outside looking at the trailer and wondering, "why are you building this like a wooden aircraft? You've built about 30-50 times more strength and 100 times more duarability into this thing than needed"
And I actually wonder if I have built it too rigid... will I have to build a suspension system between the frame and the cabin?
How many RV's have every joint glued in them? Have all the wall panels glued to the studs? The flooring glued to the substructure?
Maybe next time, I get a staple nailer and trhow the pieca crap together and just flip it!
Old 08-09-2007, 03:32 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
I don't think it can get to much glue in those joints! Just think, It will be around your grand-children's children and they can enjoy it like you did!!
" If you build it...they will come"
Old 08-09-2007, 06:09 PM   #36

cracked open my 4th gallon of titebond waterproof today.... 73 dollars in glue so far!
Old 08-09-2007, 06:26 PM   #37

Vintage RV Owners Club
I'll trade you for that $10,000 dollar roof I have being put on!! I was using mold remover and mold inhibitor at 50 dollars a gallon! It worked great but that roof was the straw that broke my back! I'm too busted up for that one! I will still enjoy the rv when finished but I wish I could have done it myself! I wish those doctors would come up with something for bad discs and nerve damaged necks! I know, I wished to go to mars too!! You would think that with all the tech they have they could at least come up with a fix for us old folks so we can be constructive once again....
Old 08-10-2007, 01:55 AM   #38

Flipping or remodleing to resell anything is truely a question of what your hourly labor is worth.The housing market is due for a slow down in Oct when the rates go up and forecloseures are on the rise.Gas pricing is surely not going down at all which will impack resale value.It's not a question of what the item is,but moreover if there is enough money in the market to buy what you are selling.With my Winnebago,I bought it at a great price where even if I sold it well under market value,I still wouldn't lose.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:59 PM   #39

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MonacoMama:
Congrats thewarriorchild....
I hope it comes to fruition and you can then move full steam ahead! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks! I hope it all continues to go well.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:06 PM   #40

cracked open my 4th gallon of titebond waterproof today.... 73 dollars in glue so far! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is that and what are you using it for??

Ummm these roofs sound expensive and I think I need to build it to last forever so my family can reap from all the work going into it.

FEMA trailers... I dunno are they really safe, well built? They had to get them out so fast. All I could think of was people living in something that they knew wasnt thiers...like some people treat rental cars....
Old 08-11-2007, 05:13 AM   #41

Titebond id glue... yellow glue like you see in any Lowe's or WalMart... The version I'm using is water-soluable when wet but once dried, stays like concrete even when soaked in water.

I'm old school; when I build most anything, I build it so, a) if anyone asks, I can proudly claim I built it! b) I build it so it lasts forever. Keep in mind that while trailers have suspensions with springs, they don't have shocks so they get bounced not unlike a basketball as you head down the highway.

FEMA trailers are trailers that the RV industry builds... the requirements are simplistic; they must be 28 to 32 feet long, have sleeping accomodations for 6 people (I think) and have all the traditional basic fixtures of an RV.
NOBODY builds FEMA trailers!
They sell to FEMA the trailers in their production line that meet FEMA requirements. The quality of a FEMA trailer is no different of any other trailer the manufacturer sells in similar model lines.

All the stuff you hear about FEMA trailers really applies to other trailers... but because it is a "hot topic" for the media, you hear the horror stories.
Hang around camping people long enough, you'll hear the same horror stories!
Old 08-11-2007, 11:37 PM   #42

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thewarriorchild:

Nope not that kind of shower, like a baby shower, like a housewarming, where you get gifts! Like the things you were mentioning in your other post.

Oh and just got an email from the guy it looks like I will own a trailer soon!!

Deb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Deb, you do know, don't you, that if your housewarming party includes taking the wheels off, you just might be. . ..

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote