Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2022, 07:31 PM   #1

So what broke on your last trip?

I am writing this not to ask for advice, or to complain, but just to share my experience with what is now a 20+ year old motorhome, with hopes that others will do the same.

We returned home to western Louisiana today from a circa 1 week / 400 mile trip through east Texas, during the trip it seemed new issues would pop up on just about a daily basis. This was our first trip of the year, our last being a trip to Galveston in December, though I did spend a couple of weeks living in the coach isolating while my wife had Covid in late January.

Now back to our recent adventure, about 20 miles into the trip a check engine light came on, it appears that one of our knock sensors is going bad, though it may just be corrosion on wiring connection, either way I will put that on the to fix list. On day 2 we returned to the coach at the campground to find the 21 year old air conditioner had tripped it's breaker in the breaker panel. On day 4 the frame on the Kwikee entry step split likely due to rust and metal fatigue (I will be taking it to a local welding shop to see if it can be repaired, as a new step assembly is almost a thousand dollars). In the early morning hours of day 5 while it was raining the 50 amp breaker at the power post decided to trip for no apparent reason, I don't know if this was an RV issue, or a power post issue, I am hopeful it was power post as it appeared to be infested with ants. Then finally in the afternoon of day 6, it appears our 12V water pump has failed, no real warning, it was working then it was not working, though it had developed a slow leak around one of the seals a few months ago, and I had bought a replacement, just had not got around to installing it, still that should not have effected the motor.

To sum that up, broken entry step, check engine light, roof air conditioner tripping breaker, and failed 12V water pump, all on a one week trip.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2022, 08:37 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I've had everything except the knock sensor, but not on my last trip. Repairing all of the issues cost me less than $1k. Not even the taxes on a new one.
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:51 AM   #3

Sounds fairly normal for us.

We're getting ready for our summer jaunt so we went all of 10 miles to the shop for routine service. We found that the new fuel shutoff solenoid still wasn't opening and a couple of days ago we discovered that the rear a/c fan motor wasn't starting. And we haven't even started a trip yet.

Our last trip, though, was three months last fall and astoundingly nothing broke.
Old 05-25-2022, 10:22 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
We were happily cruising along on I5 in Northern California, just South of Corning, about 40 miles from Redding, and I smelled something odd. # miles later I pulled into a rest stop and noticed the driver side slide was out around 2 inches on the bottom.

I gave the slide control switch a push and smelled hydraulic fluid, hopped out and looked under the front end and saw FLAMES! The oil had caught fire on the hot exhaust, so I ran for the fire extinguisher, put the fire out and went back inside to have a STRONG G&T to slow my heart down.

I had a second hose end blow off of one of the lines for the slide cylinders. It sprayed oil all around when I tried to run the slide back in.

Luckily I had an old line left over from replacing lines before that fit and saved the day. So it helps to be a bit of a packrat and have "stuff" along.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5588[4367].JPG
Views:	7
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	366544  
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:01 PM   #5

Let's see. Last trip was a bit over 7K miles. The AquaHot preheat pump died early in the trip*, and when changing it I found one of the water lines was leaking and replaced it. One of the drawer mounts fell apart, and took half a day to fix. The starter died. The leveling system needed a new relay and a new control panel switch (the latter optional, actually, but I like them all to work). All in all, over 2.5 months or so, not a terrible list. The starter was the most expensive unanticipated repair at about $600 installed. All in all, less than $1K in repairs.

* I think the AH preheat pump failed from zero use for 16 years until I installed the switch to use it. I haven't done the postmortem yet, but I think I'll find a bad internal seal, likely caused by adhering to the shaft over a long period of disuse.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:08 PM   #6

For the last trip right before I left found a small leak at the rear brake caliber, minor and brakes worked so made appointment at my mechanic, but could not get in until after the trip. Drive down no problem, topped off brake reservoir.

Coming back, I am fighting the steering. Stop for Diesel and no power steering fluid in the reservoir. A leak somewhere and blowing down the drivers side of the MH! Buy all the Dextron III power steering fluid the truck stop has pour it in and have power steering again. Continue toward home with the coach still leaking, but driving really well. Hit a major rain storm where cars are acting crazy slamming on brakes pulling in front of me and using their hazzard lights while driving less than 30 mph on I-40. The storm did wash down the side of the coach though. Drove straight to the mechanics, disconnected the TOAD, packed up the coach and dogs. I will see what all broke soon enough, but it is where it needs to be to get fixed so I am happy.

I have just found the two latest weak points, once they are fixed I should be good to go for a while I hope.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 07:12 PM   #7

Boy,

I'm glad I don't have that much trouble with our coach. But then, it hasn't turned over 200K yet and won't officially be 50yo until September.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:34 AM   #8

Sitting in the driveway just about pull out when the generator (running the AC's) puttered out. Wouldn't crank. After some frantic fiddling about I figured out power had to run through the failed stater solenoid for it to run. So I ran a jumper wire to keep it running and jumped it like an old school Ford to get it to crank. To have it actually start I discovered I had to also press the START button while doing all that for some reason. While running and jumped like that I found I couldn't bolt the solenoid back on like it was. It would turn the starter with the engine running. Pulled out my bandanna and used it for insulation to keep the solenoid from grounding. Added electrical tape to try and secure everything. Sounds cheesy as heck and looked it too but it performed faultlessly. Once arrived at the campground I ordered a new solenoid.
Since it seemed to work out, I re-jimmied it the same way for the trip home but with a bit of duct tape for added vibration insurance. It worked again.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 10:02 AM   #9

I had a starter bendix go out on my generator in early 2019 while on a trip, it would free spin when trying to crank. I discovered that I could get it to start and run if I were driving and pushed the start switch at the same time as I hit a bump in the road.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 10:57 AM   #10

Having a 15+ year old coach, I cannot remember many trips when something did not break or start acting up. Last trip it was the 7 blade receiver for the towing, hot water heater element and even the seatbelt receiver on the driver's side (a recent replacement for the original one) broke (would not release once attached).
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; miniature schnauzers and labradoodle. SumoSprings Front; Safe-T-Plus;2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507;Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785,Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:24 AM   #11

Trip report breakage

First trip out for the season. Lost a dust cap that covers the bearings on one wheel. Batwing antenna part broke on roof. Plastic fragile due to sun and original part. $30.00 part on order. Had to reset ground fault three times. R/R neutral wire not connected. One other outlet with loose parts. Need to check the rest of the outlets and breaker/fuse box.
Sam 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:29 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Traded a 2006 Newmar Kountry Star last year for a used Winnie Forza 34T with a Cummins ISB 6.7L. Thirteen years with it and never had one problem with it while traveling. Downsized, and at my age (81) did not want to go the expense of new rig. Love the rig. Getting ready for a mega trip on 15 July to end of August to see all the kids, grandkids, and great grand kids. Dash AC wasn't working, took it to the dealer to have it looked at, needs new compressor. Had bought a 5 year 60K bumper to bumper wty when we purchased it, paid $6K for it.
Mechanic noticed oil on bay floor, turns out Turbo is leaking oil. I inspected it myself and he's right, needs a new Turbo. Total estimated cost around $10K, all covered by wty.
Now to the issue at hand. Turbo is a Holset he300vg. nowhere to be found. Rig sitting at dealer now for three weeks and cannot find that turbo in stock anywhere. Hard to believe. I have tried everywhere I could find on the internet, no one has it. Cummins says +56 day back order. WTY company will allow a rebuilt if there is a wty on it.
Should have kept the Newmar. LOL
Sgt B is offline   Reply With Quote