Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2007, 07:29 AM   #1

So here we are, a group of people that would rather take an old RV and make it new than spent the same money on something newer that would take less work. What kind of person does that? I started this as a place to share who we are. Not the general introduction, but the people that share this particular oddity of a love/hate affair with vintage motorhomes.

I'll Start. I'm a Geek first and foremost. That does not mean that I bite the heads off of chickens, it means that I embrace subjects for enjoyment that most people find . . .esoteric. . . In my case Computers, electronics, SciFi, and the inner workings of everything. In addition to that I'm a Nudist, and have no shame of that or the body that God created just for me. What this all boils down to is that I do not fit well into what most people call "normal society". As fixer by nature (I call myself a StarFleet Engineer), I was drawn to this rig with a feeling of "Ooooohhh a PROJECT!!!". That alone should tell you that I'm weird. . .

So how about it? Who else is in this particular group? What skills do we bring, and what perspectives do we see things from?

(yes, there is a general introduction forum on here, but I'm wanting this one to be Vintage RV specific. . .)

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2007, 07:29 AM   #2

So here we are, a group of people that would rather take an old RV and make it new than spent the same money on something newer that would take less work. What kind of person does that? I started this as a place to share who we are. Not the general introduction, but the people that share this particular oddity of a love/hate affair with vintage motorhomes.

I'll Start. I'm a Geek first and foremost. That does not mean that I bite the heads off of chickens, it means that I embrace subjects for enjoyment that most people find . . .esoteric. . . In my case Computers, electronics, SciFi, and the inner workings of everything. In addition to that I'm a Nudist, and have no shame of that or the body that God created just for me. What this all boils down to is that I do not fit well into what most people call "normal society". As fixer by nature (I call myself a StarFleet Engineer), I was drawn to this rig with a feeling of "Ooooohhh a PROJECT!!!". That alone should tell you that I'm weird. . .

So how about it? Who else is in this particular group? What skills do we bring, and what perspectives do we see things from?

(yes, there is a general introduction forum on here, but I'm wanting this one to be Vintage RV specific. . .)

Old 09-02-2007, 12:48 PM   #3

I'm a domestically challenged female. I don't like most things traditionally attributed to females (except baking). I'm more into woodworking (will I ever get my table saw back from David ). I was my father's favourite "son" growing up (could that be why I don't do "girly" things, or is it because most of the kids I played with while growing up was boys... only 2 other girls my age in the whole neighbourhood, one I really disliked). Then Dad figured out that he could "almost" get a real son when I married. David & I met in 1979 (on a camping trip in Johnathon Dickenson State Park, FL) and married in 1980. David doesn't "do" computers so he will never post on the forums. Shortly after I met David, he started teaching me how to install cabinets (he was a cabinet builder/installer at the time in FL). We moved to Franklin NC in the early 80's (I've lived there off/on since 1965). I had the girls (twins) which replaced my father's previous "proudest moment" (the first time I caught an alligator was replaced with the fact that I could have kids in litters ). Moved to Upstate SC (West Union/Seneca/Westminster... near Clemson U) in the early 90's (David was working there installing cabinets and had been driving there daily). Started homeschooling the girls while in SC (School system sucked and David & I both had problems with a school system that thought it could raise our kids better than we could). Moved to Chattanooga TN area in the mid 90's. A couple years after that, my Dad got sick and David "temporarily" moved back to NC to help him out, while the girls and I mowed the lawn in TN (I hate lawns!). He picked up a job renovating a vintage house for the person he is currently working with (currently remodeled 2 houses, 3 condos and constantly working on the s GA home house... which will not end until it is sold to someone else). After bouncing back and forth between NC & TN every couple of weeks (or every couple of days... 200 miles one way), David & I got fed up with it and dumped our privately mortgaged house (discussed it with the person holding the papers... so he took it back with no penalties/no problems... it was resold a couple months later) and moved most of our stuff into warehouses (much cheaper than making house payments and no lawn to mow ). The girls graduated from homeschool (yes, they have a diploma) while David was working in SW NC & S GA (with a few trips to FL tossed in). We started looking for an older RV that was <STRIKE>CHEAP</STRIKE> INEXPENSIVE to buy and fix up. All the newer used ones seemed to need all the same things fixed as the really old ones but at a higher purchase price. We decided on our maximum price ($2K plus $1k in repairs) and a basic size (had to able to fit in an "in-town" driveway/backyard). We planned on using the RV to live in - onsite - while we rehab houses to resell. Both David & a friend found the same RV and both wanted. Our friend only wanted it over 1 winter so he bought it, then we bought it from him when he was finished using it. That was Spring 2006. We did a "down-&-dirty" rehab (only redid what had to be done to live in it) and moved in full-time in Nov 2006 (we "ran away from home"... the girls were 20 and we still have folks tell us we are terrible parents because we "abandoned" our kids... they live on my Mom's place... how is that being abandoned ). Still working on the RV... slowly. We head back to TN as of Oct 1st this fall. Then we are back here in Cordele for a couple months in January 2008 for the coldest part of the winter as our Class C is not set up for winter camping. We tend to stay mostly in public campgrounds but have been staying long term in a small private campground we located. We are a bit different... our families think we're crazy and when we bought a 1972 Eagle 05 bus shell, they were sure of it... along with most of the folks we knew in Franklin.. hence the name "Aluminum Asylum". The bus will be converted into a motorhome (Streamline Art Deco "yaht" decor). We plan to buy a place in the Tri-Cities area of Tn (that's the Bristol Speedway area) and build or rehab a house (country Victorian... yep, my tastes do vary... widely). Oh and we don't like being in debt either. What is ours may not be much, but it's ours. We pay cash for everything and will buy our place in TN the same way.

Almost forgot... I did the National Kitchen & Bath Association (NKBA) Kitchen Design Correspondence Course while we had a Cabinet company in NC. Did the entire thing until I had to send in the final paperwork (affidavits & reccomendations from architects). I decided that I liked designing but really didn't like dealing with the endless backstabbing, lunatic customers & kickbacks to builders that the job seemed to entail (I was also tired of my designs turning up at other cabinet places because their cabinets were cheaper than ours... David was installing some of their cabinet jobs is how we found out). So we closed up the shop. I was much happier.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 05:38 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, As a kid I dug Star Trek, Loved mountains and animals! When Mom and I or the school would disagree, I'd take off for awhile. I camped most of the C&O Canal, And made it to Florida once but most of the time I would go to the Uncles farm. Dad would be there for the weekends and My dads side somehow understand what was going on with mom! When I was old enough I started camping or traveling and camping out of a van, a small trailer,A pop-up,A Another Van[lived in that one for over two years] One class A and now the second Class A. In between I used several tents from small to large. Love nature and enjoy the back woods roads to as the 'cars' can't get there and we have enough ground clearance and short enough to get into those small out of the way Places. Some of you may remember the Rodeo-Chedoski fire, That Northern Arizona had in 2002. We were caught in that one ands had to get out fast as the smoke was coming in like a fog bank!!! At times couldn't hardly see where we were going!! We have made it across the country twice and am planning another trip east next year. We like the small roads like Route 66 Etc. Like out of the way places. I have always had luck like my dad of taking pictures and printing them out. I think, looking back that I missed my calling. But that was then and now..I want to see all I can and take Tweet to the places I have been to and we are going to continue that starting in the next week or two! I love the life style and If someone asked me if I'd take a home for trade with the home I would say no way!! I guess I am a trekker/hippie on wheels with old rock and roll. I just don't have the long hair and peace signs! In 1993 My back went out and just a few months before I had Rotator Cuff surgery. Then when my back went out I needed surgery and The first one was good. The second one made me learn how to walk again. Then in 96 I went on disability and decided to rv again. Then in 2003,Just a couple of weeks before Christmas I was in a serious auto accident and I was taken to the Va as we were coming home from there at that time. They opened me up and turned around and sewed me right back up! I got a permanent disability out of that. And so I have for the last Four years been working on the home and driving around the country going to a funeral! There have been several on both sides of our family. Now we are so close we are iching to get back on the road again. We took a trip yesterday to the top of Mount Lemmon to see how that had changed since the Aspen fire up there in 2003. We were up north of Show Low,Az. We could see the smoke from there. Got to be over a hundred miles to the fire but we could see it there. We had gone up there in 2001? maybe 2000, I can't remember. I don't have the scrap book here. Anyway, We are working on a trip to Wisconsin. Seeing friends and family going and coming! For the winter, We are planning to stay in San Manuel. Thats about 35 miles away north of here. Small village of maybe 2000 people. I'm not to sure that there is still that many there anymore. The copper mines have gone out of business. and that made for a lot of places to park a RV or Mobile Home. Anyway I guess thats our story.
As to why the older RV..I like older things I can tinker with and not have to use a computer to figure out whats wrong with it! There is a lot of reasons to have a older RV but I guess the best reason is it fits me!I can look at it and remember when...
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:43 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, for one, I can make less bucks go further with a used rig than what it'd cost me in insurance and interest on the loan for what I have in a new form, and then I wouldn't be able to fix it myself.

RV Price, $1500, For the a similarly equipped rig new, $12,000-$25,000.

Truck Price, $4000, for a truck that could haul the weight of a similar camper to the one I own, $35,000-40,000 new.

All that and I would still be dealing with a million and one TSBs, cheap chinese made electronic garabge, and trucks that are made of tin and plastic instead of steel.

Now that we're past the economics part, I'm a Redneck Nerd. I write software, though still for myself, I got into the Internet boom a tad too late. I also wear Bib-overalls and turn wrenches. I've got a good faithful woman whom I've been together with for 7 years, who puts up with my perpetual project process. If I'm not working on one thing, I'm working on another. The only time I'm not on a project is when I'm fishing, then I'm pondering projects to make the fishing even better for the next time while the lines in the water.

I remember still when I was little (1-2years old) vague memories of when my parents used to have their Dynacruiser Pickup camper and traveling around in it. Mom and I rode in back from time to time. I've always wanted my own since. Now, I have it. If only I could have bought my parent's rig back in good shape. (God knows what's become of it.)

I talk straight up and frank and am more than willing to share my view of the world with anyone, including informing you of how things are buggered up and how we can go about the non-tree-hugging-hippie-crap way of fixing it.

(Route66, buddy, when ya cut out some words, put something back in to make the sentence make sense )

I find big old trucks, muscle cars, and Smith and Wesson products absolutely sexy, and have been known to work out my stress on random gun targets at the range.

You'll be amazed at how emptying 10-15 .50 caliber rounds into a target can reduce your body's stress levels and maintain a happier work life!

On the more Nerd-Side of things, I write software on an old MMORPG server in my spare time, play the Fantasy HERO RPG system with friends, and watch Anime (American TV really sucks these days, everythings about fake big boobs and blonds, plot and nuance seem to be lost on writers).

I've been tempted by my lady to attend SCA events, and when we get really bored, a bunch of sit around thinking about what to build a trebuchet out of, when we're not making black powder spud cannons.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:35 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I can envy you all, your the backbone of this forum. I have fixed up new MH's and TT's but not to the extent of what you people have done with yours.
Some times I wish there was time to start all over but its not to be so I do enjoy all your Vintage rebuilds and wish you all the best.
I came close to a rebuild when I picked up a slide-in for my son for $100 and rewired and got things working so he could use on beachs for fishing.
So as I continued to pay out for my present coach I can still enjoy this forum with what could have been.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:37 AM   #7

I know that a 1990 MH may not seam old, but I am 75 and still fixing things big and small. I am a semi retired auto shop teacher/writer/photographer/consultant. Our present rig is a 1990 38 foot Foretravel Grand Villa equiped with a Detroit Diesel and Allison gear box. We wanted the comfort of a big rig without laying out $300k. Fixing things up does not phase me as I have built hot rods from scratch, restored antiques cars and trucks from the ground up and done most of the remodeling on our home. I consider owning and keeping running as a new vehicle an older one as the ultimate in recycling. My wife occupies her time between trips while I am tinkering running her antiquarian and used book store here in New Hampshire. When we take off for a trip the storage compartments are all but empty ready to recieve the books that she will buy on the road. We just finished a near 10,000 mile cross country voyage from new Hampshire to Seattle and back. The main purpose was to marry off second oldest daughter but we did a fair amount of wandering in the 31 days that we were on the road. We crossed the continental divide 9 times on the way to Seattle and once coming home. Now that we are home it is time to tinker and get ready to set off for Florida for the winter. The latest project is to install a washer and dryer and revamp some cabnetry.

1990 Foretravel Grand Villa Detroit Diesel
4 wheel car trailer
1994 Ford Explorer
Wife, Lucy
Cat, Earl
Old 09-03-2007, 04:10 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
nhgeezer, I bet I have been in your wifes store before! I went to a lot of different book stores or any place that would have old copys of books from the space program,[The original Seven], And some of the later books too! History buff and I wanted to go to mars too!! Did I mention Treker?? Like beam me up!!
You be a new member here, Welcome to the forum!!
Old 09-03-2007, 04:48 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joseph C. McKenzie:
...and watch Anime ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is it about Anime? My daughter is really into it. Self-taught artist. She posts it over at Deviant Art as Dark Silverblade. Both of my kids have hit the Animefests too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nhgeezer:
My wife occupies her time running her antiquarian and used book store... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Imagine.... owning your own bookstore... sounds like heaven! I love books
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:03 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Actually a dream retirement for the misses and I was to open a pub/bookstore with a cigar lounge and old-style dance hall on the second story. Sadly, we won't be doing that here in the state of Oregon, in 2009, Cigar bars can keep their smoking, but lose the ability to serve alcohol. They call this the Cigar Bar Provision, and it makes me go, "So exactly how does it stay a bar when ya can't drink?"
Old 09-03-2007, 10:06 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lorna:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joseph C. McKenzie:

What is it about Anime? My daughter is really into it. Self-taught artist. She posts it over at Deviant Art as Dark Silverblade. Both of my kids have hit the Animefests too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nhgeezer:
My wife occupies her time running her antiquarian and used book store... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Imagine.... owning your own bookstore... sounds like heaven! I love books </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As for "what is it about Anime, see the rest of his comment. The part that says that American writers seem to have no concept of plot, nuance, and subtlty. At least when compared to Anime.

As for being a bookstore owner as a retirement? No way I could do that. 'How can I sell this!?!? I'll want to read it again! I can't sell my BABIES!!!" Yeah, it is hard for me to let go of books. . . Could you tell?

Perhaps that is why I do not enjoy movies that much. The book is always a lot better.

Capt Dan: If you were a StarFleet character, what would you be?

Old 09-03-2007, 11:27 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lorna:

Imagine.... owning your own bookstore... sounds like heaven! I love books </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The misses to be and I make the big Seattle Convention once a year, she likes to collect animation cells.

However, we also watch it in the original Japanese version, not the waterdown "For Kidz" editions that make American TV and shelves. Once its been touched by any major American TV network, any plot or nuance it had is gone, dumbed down from its original target audience to that of 6 year olds.

If any of your Kids watched a series called "One Piece" on TV, tell them they've seen about 1/3 of the series, and most of the original dialogue has been stripped out, along with the original storyline. I think along the lines they skipped between 60-80 episodes, cutting out some rather important parts of the storyline, all in the hopes of making it 6 year old approved from a series targeted for people 18 years or older.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:29 AM   #13

I agree about the book being better and as far as selling a book, there are ten more on the shelf that I have not read. On this last trip we never set up the satalite dish occupying evenings with new friends and books. Caught the morning news on the local broadcast station for the news and weather and that was all the TV that we watched. Lucy bought enough books on the way that when I finished the one that I took from the store to start the trip, she had a good selection in the basement. If you have been to newport NH and visited the book store on main Street you were here. By the way the picture of the back end of your Mazda truck looks like the Mazda that Bill Scheller and I competed in One Lap America in.

1990 Foretravel
94 Explorer
DW Lucy the book lady
Cat: Earl
Old 09-04-2007, 05:03 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Its not the same truck. It came from Texas and was brought here from Texas by the original owner. From him it went to a friend who had us put the new motor in back in 2003. They ran it hot and cooked the original motor. After the truck got the motor in it sat at the guys house for almost 3 years and nothing done with it at all and he sold it to me for $500.00 bucks. It runs super good and is about as strong as a tank! It has 224,000 miles on it but on the new motor it's only 23,000 miles on it! I got a long way to go!! Kinda got off topic there but thats this forum, post whatever!!