Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2019, 11:11 AM   #1

Solar, Inverter, and Converter Operation Clarification

I hope I can explain this correctly. My 89' Chieftain has an aftermarket 300W solar panel, Solar Charge Controller, and 1000W inverter installed. The PO boondocked almost exclusively, so I understand the need for solar to charge the house batteries. What I do not understand is how this works in conjunction with the coach converter, particularly the inverter on/off switch.

Am I to assume that when the inverter is OFF, the solar panels are not charging the batteries and when it is ON it is charging them?

Am I to also assume that when on shore power, the converter is charging the batteries?

I guess where I'm going with this is to avoid cooking my batteries by charging them from two different sources (solar/inverter and converter) at the same time.

My converter is probably OEM and I've read that these older units can "boil" batteries. For this reason I will soon be upgrading to a more modern converter. I just want to be sure that I am using these two systems appropriately.

In closing I summarize that the inverter should be OFF when hooked to shore power, and ON when running on house batteries.

I hope this makes sense. Thanks,

Eric
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2019, 12:35 PM   #2

The solar panels and solar controller charge the 12 volt batteries.

The inverter inverts 12 volts to 120 volts. Nothing to do with solar.

Coach converter charges the 12 volt batteries. Both it and the solar can work together because they both sense battery voltage and cut back, so they don't overcharge and hurt them.

Turning the inverter off is only to conserve some power, because they use a little while on.

Yes, inverter off unless you need to use it.

A modern 3 or 4 stage converter will do well for your batteries.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

A modern 3 or 4 stage converter will do well for your batteries.
That's what I am researching right now. Thanks for the info.

Tags
cat, converter, inverter, solar