Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2020, 01:06 PM   #1

Spending $$$ on cosmetic issues?

My coach is still a couple of years away from being vintage as it is is just 18 years old now, still this seemed to be the most appropriate place to ask this question.

How much money is too much to spend when it comes to mostly cosmetic repairs on an older coach?

I ask as my coach has a few cosmetic issues that are in need of repair, mostly minor paint issues where some previous owner had made some repairs poorly (poorly matched paint, some paint blisters and various stone chips on the front cap). In addition to this the seals on my double pane windows are starting to creep, and are reaching the point of becoming very noticeable on a couple of my windows.

To fix these cosmetic issues would probably run $7,000 - $9,000 based upon estimates I have received, so I have to ask my self, is it worth it to spend money to get a mechanically sound nearly 20 year old coach into better, though not perfect cosmetic condition?
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2020, 05:12 PM   #2

How long do you anticipate keeping and using it? That has a great deal to do with a decision.
You will never be able to sell it and recoup the money invested, that money will be for your pleasure only; like tricked-out cars and pickups. When selling an RV appearance is the primary consideration to most buyers. A prospective buyer sees ratty exterior and assumes a total lack of maintenance and care.

Appearance has a lot to do with staying in some RV parks. Some state a 10 year age limit, but when they see the RV is when the final determination is made; advance booking is the exception to waiving the 10 year rule as they cannot see the RV.

Our MH (see sig) looks great and is mechanically sound. If I were to allow the appearance to degrade I doubt if I could trade it for a good car @ 20 years old.
Keeping in mind this is a depreciating asset; this is a strictly personal decision based on planned use and frequency.
Those are my random thoughts, hope they help your decision.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 05:20 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You'll never recoup that money, so if that's a concern you're better off not doing it. If not a concern and you're going to keep it indefinitely, go for it.
I struggle with this also. Our rig is now 15 years old, excellent mechanical condition and has been very reliable. However, the decals are shot. Replacing the decals is a losing game, so I am thinking about having paint mixed up, removing the dying decals and masking and spraying accents myself. A full body paint job would probably be in the 12K range around here, if I could even find anyone to do it.
baraff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 05:33 PM   #4

I am generally happy with the coach, and it serves our needs and how we travel for now, so I have no plans to replace it in the foreseeable future, so lets define that as planning on keeping it at least another 5-7 years, baring anything unexpected.

As to cosmetic condition, it does not look bad, it is a full body paint coach, however the clear coat is starting to peel along the roof radius, and there are a few other issues here and there, stone chips, etc, in other words it is starting to look its age.

Attached are a couple of representative casual photos, note the paint mismatch on the left rear bumper. I store it in the shed seen the the background of one of the photos, so the paint condition is fairly stable since I bought it in 2016, though of course it gets some additional wear when we are on trips (50-75 days or use per year).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trek-rear.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	465.1 KB
ID:	271227   Click image for larger version

Name:	trek-blue-bell.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	271228  

Click image for larger version

Name:	trek-shed3.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	271229  
Old 01-02-2020, 05:33 PM   #5

Body Work

I agree that it is a personal choice and truly it depends on how long you plan to own the rig. I spent some money to have the front and rear caps on my 07 Phaeton stripped and repainted. It gave my rig a needed make over and honestly made me more proud when I pulled into places.

I recommend Double-B RV in Red Bay. While they sit behind the Tiffin factory they work on all brands of coaches. Their work is nothing but SPECTACULAR and I won't let anyone else do body work on my rig. I live 11 hours from their shop but won't hesitate to drive there for the exceptional work they perform.

Give Brad a call (256-412-0853) and he will give you his honest feedback and rough estimate. Double-B RV – RV Paint & Body Repair Red Bay, AL.

Let us know what you decide.
TRVLNSOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:16 PM   #6

Just my opinion, but if you are planning on keeping it and can afford to do it I would go for it. Cars, motorcycles, and MOTORHOMES don't fail all at once, but if you put off repairing what is needed it soon will cost more to repair them than they are worth.

Right now I am down to fixing things that are not broken in my motorhome. I just put about 20 circuit breakers in the electrical bay because many had some rust or corrosion on them. The whole bay got a good cleaning as well, including the two electrical wiring harness connectors and the grounding bar.

I still need to touch up my rear bumper, front cap, and upper awning due to paint issues.

I already had all the windows rebuilt for the creeping seals (not all creeped), put in 8 new air bags, 6 new tires and 6 new shocks. I considered all this maintenance that had been deferred by prior owners.

The interior was all replaced except the cabinets and the bathroom, wasn't all broken, but we like it better this way.

Remember you don't have to do this all at once. Sounds like you have already figured out what you want to do. Prioritize it and go for it.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:03 PM   #7

Fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
My coach is still a couple of years away from being vintage as it is is just 18 years old now, still this seemed to be the most appropriate place to ask this question.
Well the old school in me ask have you addressed all of the mechanical issues, all of the near to medium term maintenance issues. Have you made all of the nice to have modernization to creature comforts, and so the list grows.

The last on my list would be that which does not make it run better, get better mileage, easier to drive and so on. Lipstick is a far last.

Just an opinion.
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:02 PM   #8

I will not say that I have done all of the mechanical things, but I have done a lot, and the previous owner also did a lot. The stuff I still need to do is unlikely to effect major functionality, things like replacing the hydraulic line for at least the front leveling jack because its outer jacket is flaking off, the dash air conditioner condenser also needs to be replaced, which is on the to do list before summer. Overall the interior is in good to very good condition, the previous owner replaced the sofa, captains chairs and carpet in 2015, the dining table chairs are original, and could stand some fresh upholstery as the original fabric is sagging...

There is also some other stuff that will need attention before too long, the Maxxair vent covers are showing their age, the wheel simulators are starting to crack around the holes, etc.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:33 AM   #9

Your MH looks great in the pictures, perhaps a professional detail job with a high-end protective coating might suffice?

Statistically owning a motorhome is the most expensive way to travel and camp. I can testify to that after 6 years of owning one.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 04:31 PM   #10

We spent some money getting ours in shape and still need to get the jacks rebuilt next year. That should take care of her for a while.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
We spent some money getting ours in shape and still need to get the jacks rebuilt next year. That should take care of her for a while.
Because of your postings here I recognize Londonaires instantly. They’re beautiful coaches. Appreciate your posts.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post

How much money is too much to spend when it comes to mostly cosmetic repairs on an older coach?

I ask as my coach has a few cosmetic issues that are in need of repair, mostly minor paint issues where some previous owner had made some repairs poorly (poorly matched paint, some paint blisters and various stone chips on the front cap). In addition to this the seals on my double pane windows are starting to creep, and are reaching the point of becoming very noticeable on a couple of my windows.

To fix these cosmetic issues would probably run $7,000 - $9,000 based upon estimates I have received, so I have to ask my self, is it worth it to spend money to get a mechanically sound nearly 20 year old coach into better, though not perfect cosmetic condition?
This is not a get your money back when you sell situation. That’s not the way it works in the RV world. $9000.00 spent on refreshing paint and finish might get you a third of that back with the perfect buyer, might.

Two things. First of course is shine is individual. Everyone appreciates a beautiful coach. But not everyone wants to have that for themselves. If it’s important to someone to have the appearance and they get enjoyment out of the work involved then that is wonderful. The cost value is also individual. I happen to be at the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to polishing.

Second thing, there’s a thread about the value of rebuilding a 454 here and I think your experience with your big block in your coach can add to the conversation.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:03 AM   #13

If you love it and want to keep it, consider a trip to Mexico. There has been numerous posts concerning repaint MHs in MX. Seems most people get great work at a decent price.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:39 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
If you have the inclination, learn to do touch up spray paint yourself.

You have the place to paint. You probably do not need a full paint job. The auto paint supply stores can mix your colors.

The paint is expensive, but the outside labor cost to prepare and apply the paint is massive.

FWIW
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote