Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2017, 10:39 AM   #1

Starliner or Starcruiser

For 1970 I see that Starcraft has a Starliner and Starcruiser. I see them both as 17' and 19'. I don't really see other sizes. But what is the difference between a Starliner and a Starcruiser. I don't see any physical differences, so what is the difference?
Plus I have never seen a 1971. Only 1970,1972 and newer.
Can anyone shed light on this?
Krazymaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2017, 05:20 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Starcraft was really big in the RV industry starting in 1903. They made (make?) everything from Class A, B, and C RVs, pop-up and full trailers, plus boats and a variety of other recreational craft and toys. They were in business in 1971, you can use Google and find photos and other information about their products. I didn't find detailed specs to compare the Star Liner with a Star Cruiser, but I did run across the fact that Starcraft had 33 different boat models for 1971. In 1972, perhaps other years too, I find another Class A model, the Star Stream. This link is one of the few I saw with interior shots of a 1974 Starcruiser.

I lived and worked in Elkhart and Goshen, IN from 1968-1971, I visited Starcraft manufacturing sites in Goshen during that time. They were very busy, with lots of Amish workers assembling their products.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazymaan View Post
For 1970 I see that Starcraft has a Starliner and Starcruiser. I see them both as 17' and 19'. I don't really see other sizes. But what is the difference between a Starliner and a Starcruiser. I don't see any physical differences, so what is the difference?
Plus I have never seen a 1971. Only 1970,1972 and newer.
Can anyone shed light on this?
The Starcraft Starcruiser started in 1972.

What we have is just a 1970 Starcraft.

I thought mine was a starliner just cause that's what I saw on Google images.
70Starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Starcraft View Post
The Starcraft Starcruiser started in 1972.

What we have is just a 1970 Starcraft.

I thought mine was a starliner just cause that's what I saw on Google images.
I'm the only person as far as I know that has all of the hand typed literature, brochures, welcome to starcraft paperwork, and accessory pham-let's that came with the Starcraft. There is actually a thick 3 ring binder that came with these rigs.

So I am proud to say that the "experts" are WRONG. My authentic literature states that this is a 1970 Starcraft Starcruiser. Here is a sample of a page I pdf'd. So the mystery deepens eh. I can send you everything if post me an email address.

For your viewing pleasure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Ring Binder Cover 222.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	339.6 KB
ID:	203327   Click image for larger version

Name:	1970 Starcraft Starcruiser Welcome Literature 2222.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	306.5 KB
ID:	203328  

Old 05-21-2018, 04:40 PM   #5

Quote:
I'm the only person as far as I know that has all of the hand typed literature, brochures, welcome to starcraft paperwork, and accessory pham-let's that came with the Starcraft. There is actually a thick 3 ring binder that came with these rigs.

So I am proud to say that the "experts" are WRONG. My authentic literature states that this is a 1970 Starcraft Starcruiser. Here is a sample of a page I pdf'd. So the mystery deepens eh. I can send you everything if post me an email address.

I have an owners manual and the 3 ring binder as well. I just kind of assumed that maybe he picked up a Starcruiser manual later down the road or something.

I think Lester might be getting up there in age. The info he gave me a couple of years ago directly contradicted the info he gave the Discovery Channel's "experts." He literally told me they made a dozen of them and they told me Lester remembered them making as many as 50. So I honestly don't know.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:44 PM   #6

I know a guy that has serial number 085 on 4/2/70 and I have SN No. 138 on 6/4/70. So the makes 53 between these numbers. Maybe others can post their manufacture date here so we can figure this out.
Sometimes I think maybe this 19 made, 12 made, Only 3 left is just an urban legend.
I have found 12 1970's so far and I doubt thats all there is.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:41 AM   #7

Quote:
I know a guy that has serial number 085 on 4/2/70 and I have SN No. 138 on 6/4/70. So the makes 53 between these numbers. Maybe others can post their manufacture date here so we can figure this out.
Sometimes I think maybe this 19 made, 12 made, Only 3 left is just an urban legend.
I have found 12 1970's so far and I doubt thats all there is.
Could totally be an urban legend.

Mine is 078 made in February 1970.

I have found only 12 as well. We should share photos of the 12 to make sure we aren't missing any.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:03 PM   #8

We have a STarliner too

Hey, We just purchased a 17 ft. Starcraft. I was told it was a Starliner. The auction folks talked about the 12 legend as well. Our serial number is pretty long so not sure abut the legend.

Does anyone know what the curb weight of one of these beauties is? I want to put it on my tandem 16 ft. trailer but not sure it will handle it. I can see the GVWR is 10,000 lbs.
randyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:06 PM   #9

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3348.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	772.8 KB
ID:	227754 This is (was?) in a local junkyard. Where’s the serial or other info?

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:33 AM   #10

Curb weight of the Starcraft

Hi Krazyman, does your manual tell you the curb weight of your Starcruiser. I need to tow mine home and am nervous my trailer is too light. Mine is 10,000 GVWR.Thanks

Quote:

Old 12-04-2018, 10:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyos View Post
Hi Krazyman, does your manual tell you the curb weight of your Starcruiser. I need to tow mine home and am nervous my trailer is too light. Mine is 10,000 GVWR.Thanks
Hi there.

That should be fine. I talked to another owner on the East Coast who had his weighed and It was only around 7500 pounds. He had stock interior too.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:58 PM   #12

I'm a bit late but it also seems to me that the gross vehicle weight was somewhere between 7300 and 7800 pounds.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Starcraft View Post
Hi there.

That should be fine. I talked to another owner on the East Coast who had his weighed and It was only around 7500 pounds. He had stock interior too.
Hi 70Starcraft and Krazyman, my next adventure is the braking system. I just replaced all wheel cylinders, rear shoes and had one drum turned, but still very soft brake pedal. No leaks, which is great. Does your manual show the braking system components and how to maintain them? It must be the dual Hydro-Vac that's acting up. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 12-11-2018, 04:32 PM   #14

I will look. It would be in the chassis book