Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2018, 02:36 PM   #1

Thanks Chevy -rant

Sorry if this offends anyone but I’m still gonna say it - I want to take this opportunity to thank the designers of the p30 from 1986 -if your still alive- otherwise you will already know what I have been calling you- finally pulled out the proportional valve that you conveniently hid in between the frame rails under the motor - don’t know why you felt it necessary to use an 1” impact gun to put the brake lines on -lol- but I only snapped 3 taking it out. Thanks.
I’m all set to put this baby back together and will be repositioning said valve to a move convenient location- but of course that means putting in new brake lines too. Oh and that master cylinder- wow thanks for nothing. Ok. Only kidding just needed to vent. I love spinning wrenches and correcting flaws.
Have a great day
Pullenpoynt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2018, 08:47 PM   #2

1986 , nothing to worry about , they didn't have computer CAD programs yet .
When those programs arrived they really got to be a { self edit } to work on.
Program would show a part would fit in a spot .... with no way to access or change it, without stripping out major components.

75>07 at a Chrysler dealer , I've phoned engineering , and used language that wouldn't make it past the moderators.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:24 PM   #3

Skip,

Actually, GM was using a system a that time. It may have been CATIA, but memory slips that.

I know, they were a client and I had to get an drawing changed. They were not fun to work with at all.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by F76Marion View Post

They were not fun to work with at all.

Frank
When the first instructions for changing the back 3 spark plugs on a V-6 mini van are ;
Remove the rear motor mount and lower the rear of the engine 7".
Or
Remove the windshield wiper module and the cowl , then remove the upper intake plenum.

You know it's time to retire , from the automotive mechanics trade.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:41 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Still, 30 years isn’t too bad. ��
Old 10-13-2018, 05:47 PM   #6

Wow, complaints about a 33 year old part being replaced. That shows how good GM engineering was for a part to last 3X design life. Maybe the location contributed to the parts life? I did know a fellow engineer that transferred into the P30 assembly plant around 1987.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:16 PM   #7

Yep , they can be a pain to work on and I often wonder how they got some of the parts installed in the factory. But there are worse vehicles to work on . Some Ford trucks say "Remove the Cab to access .... " . Not something you can easily do in your backyard.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Wow, complaints about a 33 year old part being replaced. That shows how good GM engineering was for a part to last 3X design life. Maybe the location contributed to the parts life? I did know a fellow engineer that transferred into the P30 assembly plant around 1987.
Idk if the part was the original but it could be - the rv only has 70k miles so it’s still relatively new - lol.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullenpoynt View Post
Idk if the part was the original but it could be - the rv only has 70k miles so it’s still relatively new - lol.

In engineering, we often said that time is the enemy of vehicles, miles not so much as long as it is well maintained. Was the part rusted on which would explain the hard to break loose. I'm not aware of many 1" impacts used to install parts in a vehicle assy plant.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
In engineering, we often said that time is the enemy of vehicles, miles not so much as long as it is well maintained. Was the part rusted on which would explain the hard to break loose. I'm not aware of many 1" impacts used to install parts in a vehicle assy plant.
Well the 1” impact was tongue in cheek however it sure felt like it in the removal as to rust - heck the new one has a light sheen of rust already and it’s only been in there for weeks
Old 10-18-2018, 08:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
When the first instructions for changing the back 3 spark plugs on a V-6 mini van are ;
Remove the rear motor mount and lower the rear of the engine 7".
Or
Remove the windshield wiper module and the cowl , then remove the upper intake plenum.

You know it's time to retire , from the automotive mechanics trade.
My favorite GM fubar was the design screwup that mandated that the procedure to change the rear tail light or stoplight bulbs on a certain year El Camino was...

First remove the rear bumper... then the lenses, then swap the bulb, then reinstall the lenses and the bumper...

And just dropping the bumper was two people and a half hours work in itself, and big $ per hour at the stealerships hourly rate.

Just to change a burned out light bulb.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:08 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just because I'm out in the garage swearing doesn't mean I'm not having a good time.

AnotherMike...just cost me $700 to replace drivers side headlight bulb on my 2004 Lexus. Had to replace the computer, $400, Bulb $100, pull the fender and front bumper to get to the computer. And that wasn't at the dealer!!!
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy