Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #1

the joys of a vintage rv

almost done with rv i thought new tires, tune up all fluids replaced, got the dash air blowing cold, got the storage problem fixed( the better half took all the inside space so i added on to the rear) every thing except the water cked out
suppose to still freeze this week.
lets go for a drive went fueled up took off for the afternoon left the wife at home, got gen-set running(didn't run until I repaired it 35 hours on a eight year old set) roof air on high
other then the wind between 25 and 30 miles an hour everything working like a charm then the gen set dies drive about 45 minutes get home won't start tear down nothing wrong that i can find try it again fires up , go to thinking maybe over heating let run door up air on high good drop door in twenty or so minutes down it goes so now it has a much larger air intake on the gen set door.
works OK now the next big test will be this week end going to hook up the dolly tie down our toad and go to Tulsa and speed the night see what else need fine tuned
really enjoy the group has been tons of help and inspiration on our journey into the rv lifestyle

best wishes frank, cricket and harley the dog
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo427.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	8958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo428.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	8959  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo430.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	8960  
pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #2

maybe the genset is cutting off because the fuel level is too low in the tank. they draw from a higher supply line to avoid draining the tank leaving you stranded. i like the extender you made; if i wasn't hauling so much length i'd do that too.
raccoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #3

gen set

had just topped the tank for the genset i put a new 22 gallon tank in and the pickup for the fuel lets me draw about 16 gallons.

i ran it after rebuilding the air intake on the door for 2 hours with the a/c maxed out and it stayed running it had an onan originally an i think it's air intake was much closer to the front of the compartment then this honda'.s is

best wishes frank,cricket and harley the dog
Old 03-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yup....there simple to work on and paid for too!
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:12 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Good job on the genset intake screen... however, I would watch the weight on that rear deck carefully. Thats a long ways from the wheels.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:53 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
......Frank & Cricket, you two have done a wonderful job, hard work always pays off. Let us see what Cricket has done to the inside. Good luck on your trip, and travel safe. BTW......WELCOME TO IRV2.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #7

pics

will post as soon as she will let me ,have a couple more curtains and i will get her blessing on inside pics.

will only have about two hundred extra lbs on the rear the drivers side box has sewer hose,water hose, 30 amp ext cord and a hand full of water hose fittings the pass side jack,lug wrench.jack stand and hoses and belts. had them inside and was told that was her space. the sewer hose tube/bumper was smashed in when i bought it that's were this ext got started and my dollie only puts 90 or so lbs on the hitch so in theory i should be good.
we're going on a shake down sunday to make sure all my mods work as good as planned before vacation in may.

thanks for the feed back just love this forum learned a lot from the folks here.
best wishes frank,cricket and harley the dog
Old 03-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
One question. Why would you keep the sewer hose and water hose/fittings in the same box?
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:42 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A suggestion if you still have problems with the genset stalling. Check the fuel hose and pick up tube inside the gas tank. They have been known to develop pinhole leaks which will suck air into the carb.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #10

hoses

the sewer hose is on the bottom shelf with caps sealing it up and in a large zip lock type bag,the water hose is hooked to it's self the next shelf up and the fittings are on the top shelf in a tupperware type box sealed up good question though ,the better half asked my the same thing this isn't top load box but more like tool box the door opens down and has two shelf's and then the bottom of the box and it is painted inside in case ever had a mess could sanitize it

frank,cricket and harley the dog
Old 03-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #11

OK Frank, Sounds like you got things pretty much figured out and ready to go. Have fun on your shake down cruise. Inside pics next...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote