RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-19-2020, 06:00 AM   #1

Thinking about purchasing a older RV, advice?

Hey there all!

So I'm looking at purchasing an older RV to enjoy with my family and kid. I was hoping to get a little advice from you folks.

The one I'm looking at is (supposedly) a 91 Dutch Star, Class C with only 31k on the odometer. Looks like the gentleman who owns it took pretty good care of it, but of course one can never tell.

The thing that's got me worried about this one is that I can't find diddly about this model/year on the internet. The closest thing I can find is 93-94 Kountry star ones, but I worry that Newmar made like 10 of these things and I'll never be able to find parts for it.

I'm pretty handy, but I don't know about without parts!
Throwaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2020, 06:12 AM   #2

What chassis is the coach built on?
Old 09-19-2020, 06:24 AM   #3

Looks like a Econoline 350 to me.

Old 09-19-2020, 08:48 AM   #4

The name does not mean you won’t find parts, most appliances are universal and standard and the parts are based off the chassis. Bring a jumpsuit or blankets so you can crawl underneath look every where and trust your nose, if it smells bad there is a reason. Happy hunting. Oh having a project is not bad, as long as you can handle it.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:04 AM   #5

The biggeat issues with older RVs is and will always be water damage from leaks. Look closely all around inside any signs of water could be a red flag and a sign to walk away. Alao look outaide, site down the sides and front, back. Is the siding snooth or wrinkled? Again wrinkles could be delamination of water damage. Chassis parts are pretty easy to find, so not a big worry there. Tires? Look at the date codes. Anything older than 5 years and your going to want new tires before moving it too far. If its been sitting, fuel can be a big concern. Gas goes stale, diesel can get algea in it which will clog the fuel filter. Both can cause motor problems. Regardlesa at that age your going to be spending money replacing belts, hoses, oil, filters and coolant.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:34 PM   #6

Thanks everyone for the advice! I ended up getting it today, so here I go into RV ownership. I'm sure I'll be back, as I need to reseal everything before it gets too cold.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
The biggeat issues with older RVs is and will always be water damage from leaks. Look closely all around inside any signs of water could be a red flag and a sign to walk away. Alao look outaide, site down the sides and front, back. Is the siding snooth or wrinkled? Again wrinkles could be delamination of water damage. Chassis parts are pretty easy to find, so not a big worry there. Tires? Look at the date codes. Anything older than 5 years and your going to want new tires before moving it too far. If its been sitting, fuel can be a big concern. Gas goes stale, diesel can get algea in it which will clog the fuel filter. Both can cause motor problems. Regardlesa at that age your going to be spending money replacing belts, hoses, oil, filters and coolant.
Well done. You should remove "Resident Dummy" from your signature.
Lynn
Old 09-20-2020, 06:18 AM   #8

The easiest way to think of this is that you bought a 29-year old car/house. Low mileage is good but you also have to realize that it has sat more than it has been driven so seals and rubber products might be a problem. Good news is that you probably didnt have to pay alot so you can put some money into ensuring it is "road-worthy" for the safety of you and your family. Let the adventure begin....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 04:58 AM   #9

I agree with 450.
I would go further and say it would be worthwhile to travel to a dry state in the southwest and make your purchase there.
You can repair/replace/update almost anything, but if it had leaks it will be a can of worms with rot and mildew.
The good news is that there are a million vintage DRY rvs to choose from--especially TX and AZ. So the prices will be lower too. And they won't smell moldy.
That way you can focus on updating and repairing (spending money) knowing you have good bones.

Even if you totally gut and rebuild a soggy old rv, everything that is left will still be rusty. As a bonus, an old dry rv will be MUCH easier to take apart and put back together because every bolt, nut, screw, will actually turn when you put a tool on it.
Brianna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:14 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
It is a toss up IMO on the older stuff, the one you show, is a alumn.wood stud skin,, easy to tear apart and fix compared to the 92-94 and up laminated wall versions.. each has merit and down fall..

Older fords have a few quirks,, but good runners..

I had an 89 for a while but moved to a 94, that I am selling today with 190K and it is a great starter unit..

my 96 has 31K , minnie,, even low miles I dumped alot into it.. tires.. cooling, hoses, shocks, brakes, batteries,, roof seal... needs an AC next, works but sluggish on hot days...

So they are fun, be prepared to toss some dollars. I am anal about stuff, but I did the 94 and put 10 years of fun on it and it is very good to sell.. new guy can drive and go..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:31 AM   #11

The overcabs on older and some newer class C tend to rot. Go to you tube and look at rebuilding class C rv overcab. Construction is kinda generic so almost any brand will do.

I use Fluid Film on my 93 undercarriage.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:34 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
The overcabs on older and some newer class C tend to rot. Go to you tube and look at rebuilding class C rv overcab. Construction is kinda generic so almost any brand will do.

I use Fluid Film on my 93 undercarriage.
I have just got this Mouse Out

oil based rustfroof and mouse repelant,, used their rust product on some older rust buckets and fleet, to clean up and preserve,, so far impressed..

i used fuild film in my machine shop, since it is a hobby shop and in basement,, dampness is an issue and that stuff is good..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:14 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are a few RV salvage parts yards across the country. You can send them pictures of parts and they can often match them. Just in case you run into anything you can't find.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:57 PM   #14

Have a great time with the rig!
In2flyfishing is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice