Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2014, 08:24 PM   #281

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Harley1994,
You are doing a fabulous job on your rebuild. You will have a rig to be very proud of when you are done. I think that when you are done, that when you put it on the scales, you will be quite a bit heavier than you think, because of all the extra wood that you have added for the extra height. You might be real close to maximum on the 3 3500# axles, if you haven't already got them, you might want to consider spending the extra for 5000# axles. Other than that, keep up the great work.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2014, 09:21 PM   #282

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would also second the 5000# axles and the heaviest tires you can get, 'cuz that way you won't have to worry about weight.
On another subject,your hands. My wife has just started going to a Chinese wellness and accupuncture clinic here in our area. She was a real skeptic,but decided to try it and I will say that things around this house are awesome as she is painfree in her upper back and shoulders for the first time in 20 years and now they're working on her lower back and she's getting ready to start walking with me. She is also on a regimen of some combination of herbs and that also is making her feel better in a lot of ways.It is covered on her medical,so if you have a good medical plan,I'd check it out.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:45 AM   #283

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Thanks for the replys, Frank, the one reason I posted the weights was to get others opinion, in case I missed something. I haven't bought the axles yet, When building this I didn't want to get too far ahead in purchasing in case something changes. The one thing that I thought of was of course, the frame (big part) and if I went with a heavy axle that it would put more stress on the frame ect. And I also didn't want to be on the low side of a heavy spring because of the bounce (of lack thereof) and what it might do to the contents of the trailer. My question is am I being concerned about a non issue and shouldn't worry about that. Bigdog I have an open mind when it comes to health care, I don't think the MD's have all the answers, my father was a health "nut" before it was popular, didn't drink, smoke and worked out most of his life, it worked for him, he was building a log cabin when in his 70's. I do have good health coverage from working in a school district for 30 yrs.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:22 AM   #284

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

I shouldn't have looked at the thermometer this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1005140710.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	307.5 KB
ID:	75761  
Old 10-05-2014, 07:06 AM   #285
bap

were running close to 10deg. different,,,im at 38...lol..

i have heard some gooid stuff on the human pin cushion stuff like bigdog was talking about,,,........but i will admit to it on the world wide webb......my phobia is needles,,,the only thing on this planet that scares me...lol..
my hands are awfull to, carpul tunnell since 1980,no surgery and never will be,,and when i broke my back the first time it done damage somehow to my hands...
i think just keep using them is my answer and try not to think of it just deal with it..lol
bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:29 AM   #286

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Bap, My feelings are nobody's going to do it for me, so just do it and worry about it later, mornings and nite are the worse, once I get going its not toooo bad, like you hit yourself with a hammer, ( which is probably the reason its so bad I've done that alot, LOL).
Old 10-05-2014, 08:27 AM   #287

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
BigDog, Harley, and Bap,

Little history. I have two spinal fusions, presious L fracture to wrist, and R trigger thumb. Lot of nerve issues. Especially with the neck fusion I ended up with 2 1/2 years ago because of someone on a cell phone.

That accident made me feel like someone grabbed me by the neck and shook me until my spine totally unaligned. To say the least it was awful trying to move or sit still. I tried everything and accunpucture helped greatly. It relieved it enough that I no longer wished I had died in that accident.

What helped the most? An inversion bench. The first time I was on it, my back and neck popped and cracked in 8 different places. I immediately felt relief and almost cried with the loss of pain and pressure. I have massage regularly (every 3 weeks) and am now mostly pain free except for aches and pain especially with cold weather.

I did not want to be medicated to the point of being a zombie and not being able to function. I work fulltime in the medical field and am even able to help life patients. Never though that would happen until this last January when I got on that bench the first time.

Find whatever way works for you and to heck with modern medicine. Wish I was closer and could help with painting those windows. If I ever see you on the road and I going to pull you over so we can check out your trailer.

Went to an RV show yesterday in Novi, MI. Lot of trailers but I think they are getting to fancy.

Have a great day! Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:17 AM   #288

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Terry;
We are still waiting for warranty work. They fixed my problems and then discovered one that they say needs fixing. We will be at the dealers for a few more days.

IMO you should put in heavier axles if you can. I think you are OK but you will be cramping all of your 'friends' creative style. With all of the interior suggestions you are going to get you will be limited in accommodating us if your weights are too close to the limit.

You dont want to go too much over as the trailer will be bouncy and I am not sure if the Harleys (or any bike) will really enjoy that. Our wings had to be really tied down and still were able to free themselves over some of the rougher roads we encountered heading south.

While you are under there will be times when you will want full propane and water (and a few libatious beverages). As well DW and I like nice stuff so we have corel dishes, good cookwear as well as many additional things (found retail therapy) so all of the nooks and crannies have stuff. Our 5er has an 18,000 lb GVWR and with the bikes in I could only carry about 1/4 water. Surprising how things add up.

Looking forward to seeing the interior mock up and a possible color design for the outside.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:47 AM   #289

Freightliner Owners Club
Harley1994,
I understand what you are saying, the springs on a 5000# axle are not that much heavier than the 3500# springs. The brakes are a little bigger and you have the 6 lug wheels instead of 5 lug. If you are worried about the ride, put the Dexter ez flex equalizers on the axles, it will greatly cut down on the bounce. Since you have to purchase the hardware anyways, it is not that much more and gives you heavier links and wet bolts and bronze bushings that are greaseable. I wouldn't think that they will add anymore stress to your frame rails. JMHO
Frank
Old 10-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #290

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Lynne, DW knows of someone that has her own inversion table, and uses it all the time,something to think about for sure, and we do plan on traveling, so I hope we see alot of the nice people, that have helped with this build. Gordon gotta love that shop experience, at least if its warranty work its not costing alot, just a pain. I like my "friends" interior designs LOL. It is certainly true that things can add up in a hurry. Frank, you all have convinced me, (didn't take much) I will go with the heavier axles, and your right I like the fact you can grease the shackels ect. I'm used to that on the big trailers (18 wheels) anyway. Thanks for coming on board.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #291

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Just got done putting the diamond plate trim along the bottom edge, 4" wide with a 1" bend that goes under and gets stapled to finish off the edge of the bottom where the belly pan comes out to the outer edge. Monday I pick up the ramp door material, be nice to get that done , before winter. Then if I can get axles under at least I'd be able to back up to the shop door, put the ramp down and work from the shop
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1005141013.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	629.4 KB
ID:	75814   Click image for larger version

Name:	1005141439.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	388.8 KB
ID:	75815  

Name:	1005141219.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	310.8 KB
ID:	75816  
Old 10-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #292

Nice touch with the diamond plate skirting.
HuntingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:29 PM   #293

Winnebago Owners Club
Classy - gives it a nice termination point.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #294

Freightliner Owners Club
x3, I agree, nice finishing touch. Difference between a journeyman and a craftsman, finishing touches. You are truly a craftsman.
Frank

« Goooodmorning!!! | - »