Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2016, 05:47 AM   #4985

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Lloyd, Frank, Me too . My next step is hooking the TH and going for a ride, put some load to it and seeing what happens. I think tomorrow, I need to hook up and adjust the pin box ect.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2016, 02:01 PM   #4986

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
That sounds good, hope it pulls like it is supposed to.
Just to let you know, I did get the front half of the roof scrubbed today on my hands and knees with a small scrub brush. Tomorrow, I will finish the back half. I am going to have to buff the front cap because of the stains from the PinOak trees. Next year, no trees over the camper, then the roof won't be so bad.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:57 PM   #4987

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Got the pin box adjusted, at least until I get it on a real flat area to check. Frank, that sounds like alot of work scrubbing the roof . The trees are a double sword, nice for shade, bad for stains. Checked out the genny today to make sure it would power everything, yup it did .
Old 04-20-2016, 05:18 PM   #4988

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Terry, hope the Tot'r is running like she should! Rail!
Old 04-20-2016, 06:17 PM   #4989

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Rail, Me too , I'm going to wash out the radiator tomorrow morning and take it out and see what happens, The Tot'r in its first life spent time around construction sites so figured it was due.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:24 AM   #4990

Last night I was thinking about this,,,,, we bought our coach last spring. Drove it home from Florida, drove a few local trips, went out west with it and on the way home had an exhaust leak. While digging in to fix the exhaust leak found the turbo was chowed......

I am no stranger to this stuff, but had no experience with this coach, didn't know what it should run like from a performance perspective. Once all back together, the coach ran noticeably better. Of course all the driving prior was what I thought was "normal". I now realize it was hurt, and I was not really getting normal performance. By the way, as soon as it was restarted after the repair,,,, I could also hear a more distinct turbo whistle,,, of course prior I just didn't know it should be more pronounced.

It will be tough to tell Terry in your test drive if it is normal? Of course better will be easier to tell, but normal isn't yet understood. I might have over thunk this.....

I now have learned what it should run like, what normal sounds like, and with the freight liner in dash computer, seen normal boost etc.. If it gives trouble again I will be much more aware.

Hope you find normal Terry.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:31 AM   #4991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post

It will be tough to tell Terry in your test drive if it is normal? Of course better will be easier to tell, but normal isn't yet understood. I might have over thunk this.....
I know this feeling... we've had tranny (md3060) issues with our motorhome since day one. Rough shifts and losing it's stored shift points, etc. I had nothing to compare it to, so I didn't really know what was what.

I've recently discovered some faulty wiring that someone botched probably years and years ago... I am hoping too, that I find "normal."

Good luck Terry...

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:50 AM   #4992

Freightliner Owners Club
Lloyd,
I don't know about overthinking, but you are correct in your analogy of you don't know what's normal if you have never had normal.
Terry,
Sounds like you are getting things in order on the mechanicals of the Tot'r. Yes the scrubbing on the roof is very hard work. Next year hopefully we won't be under any trees, so the roof should be easier to clean. Next major project is removing the decals and repainting them on, hopefully that will happen this summer.
Frank
Old 04-21-2016, 06:42 AM   #4993

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Getting ready to take THE test drive, I've drove alot of different trucks thru the years and the only thing I know is their ALL different . I know how the Tot'r ran before so I'm hoping for Better . If it's "better" I know I'm on the right track, ............the search might be on for a DT570 and a 13sp trany . Or a semi that I can convert . It does concern me that I can't hear the Turbo spooling up, might be me my son says he hears it. I also would like more boost too. Lloyd, I don't think your over thinking it, if you are we are in the same boat. The fact that I didn't have enough gauges to look at to tell what was happening was part, (still is, I need more) of the problem. Piker, Good luck on the trany I've run into alot of botched wiring thru the years. Frank, Careful on the roof, doing the decals will be fun . Well gotta go.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:49 AM   #4994

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Just got back, ran around the block, (with the Tot'r) around 50 miles, it ran "better" I wouldn't say perfect, out on the open road it runs fairly well, (needs more HP) the real test was coming from where the hills start to get to my house, it is 7 miles of hills and I mean real steep hills with very little break, so it takes a good cooling system to not get hot by the time you get to the last hill, (which is the steepest). So the first time with the TH, (bringing it home) the Tot'r got hot (not enough to do damage) but at the top the warning buzzer just came on and went back off, we crested the hill around 5 MPH, today the temp got to 210* at the top and crested the hill at 25 MPH noticeable difference, what I did notice is when the temp got to 210* the power level dropped as well as the boost level went from 19lbs to 10lbs..............hmmm checked codes after returning, yup one code, a code for "reduced power to match coolant temp" in other words the computer reduced power to keep the engine cooler. BUT the VPM code was NOT there . So what we have to do is check the clutch fan and maybe service the radiator. I think in the fairly near future we might upgrade the radiator and intercooler, with thoughts of adding some more power it'll need it anyway.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:56 AM   #4995

Winnebago Owners Club
Boy that takes a load off of the worry meter.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:08 PM   #4996

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Gordon, You said it . I can deal with this, this is pretty simple in that it's basic mechanics, actually the radiator is pretty small compared to what you would think should be in there, I'll try and get a pic.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:17 PM   #4997

Freightliner Owners Club
Terry,
I'm glad that there is no VCM code, and that the tot'r is running better. More power is always a good thing, until you get up to the 7 or 800 hp mark, then you start having other problems, like trans, driveshaft rear end, etc.
Roof is done, came out better than I expected, now all I have to do is wash and wax the sides and end caps, then the grill and put it away. Rita is going to wash the outside carpet in the next couple days, so that should just about it for things to do, and we should be ready to pull up stakes and head down the road.
Frank
Old 04-21-2016, 01:15 PM   #4998

I with the group about finding normal...........
Everybody tells me I'm not but hey , it's normal for ME !
I was going to build a nuclear powered truck when I was 14 but I couldn't get them to sell me any FUEL !!!!Bwa hahahahaha , my friends didn't call me "THE PROFESSOR" for nothing !

Anyway , Terry glad the test showed the computer is A-OK and pointed you in the right direction....fixing up and even beefing up the cooling system is WAY easier than that other stuff !

I know you'll end up with a 47 core or something equally fantastic , maybe with an external one or two for the tranny and an old air boat fan to keep the whole thing under control !