Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2021, 08:04 AM   #10529

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Harv, LOL 15 years ago when I stepped away we wasn't allowed to do all this stuff, the driving style is sooo much different now, pretty steep learning curve for me,LOL last Saturday we started out good then it got real tight in turn one enough that I'd drive in deep step on the brakes hard to up set the rear and hopefully it turned, turned the brake bias up on the front also, mostly it worked, LOL kept me on the lead lap, finished 15th out of 23
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2021, 08:06 AM   #10530

Winnebago Owners Club
Great to see the progress Terry. Looking really good.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:40 AM   #10531

Terry, few things will stop the heart faster than turning the wheel and the car going straight!

I stepped away in 87. I was the guy in the t shirt, Levis, and welding boots in the pits driving the lucky Nova.

I once had the throttle stuck WOT coming into 3, lifted, I thought I had been punted into two cars ahead me already in the turn. They thought I had intentionally ran them over. Pit meeting in my pit was very loud for awhile.

When I arrived in Texas all the cars in street stock and hot stock ran chain clutches. Basically it was a lever you pulled back in your left door that operated the clutch. I took one look at that and I bought a car and the first thing I did was install a Datsun master cylinder assembly for the brakes and clutch. I was called crazy. They also didn't allow mirrors so the only way you could see who was beating on the bumper to move you over was to toss it sideways and take a look. Head into three, wanting to get a look behind to see where the fast guys were, toss it almost backwards, eyeball to eyeball, and of course they would take evasive action because they knew I was going around. The best way to stop a spin is stab the clutch and when she catches herself you're facing the a straight line to the flagman. Release the clutch and you've just diamonded the turn and grabbed three or four car lengths on those fast guys. Plus the stands always loved it.

Sorry for the stories, but the memories have put a grin on my face you can't buy with drugs.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:26 PM   #10532

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Harv, no problem with the stories, LOL, always enjoy conversation.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:17 AM   #10533

Okay Terry we need an update on last night plus I’m wanting to know the “new” prices on your pine boards.

Locally Craig’s List has OSB for #36.00 per sheet and allegedly a Home Depot division manager warned a large construction company to prepare for $80.00 per sheet by end of July.

I hope all is well.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:03 PM   #10534

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Harv, I didn't run last night, but Andy did, (my son and car owner LOL), he ran the backup car, (the one I usually run), the last race we where at he took a 1/2 inch bolt to his radiator, went thru the nose, shaker screen and into the radiator, couldn't get another one until this coming week, so we did some changes and he did fairly well, came in 8th was up to 5th and kinda got sandwiched in between two other cars running 4 wide on a 3 wide track, LOL so that knocked the alignment off and he got a push, even with that he was running lap times with everyone else just couldn't get the pass when everyone is the same. We prepped the car for tonight's show (different track) and they just got rained out. The boards have gone up 3 dollars from the last time we got them, a couple months ago, 13.69 for a 1x8x12 pine shiplap.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:44 PM   #10535

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
This was loading up for tonight's show, unfortunately rained outClick image for larger version

Name:	20210509_121809.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	327803
Old 05-09-2021, 08:29 PM   #10536

Terry give the kiddo a kudos for hanging in with a push. They are tough but in a pack they're a nightmare because you know invariably the cure involves a snap loose. I was looking at the tires. All of your tracks using the same spec tire with no tire grooving? Also I saw a builder on TikTok showing how he does the roller bearing spring perches and the advantages, people just get smarter, faster.

I'll check in the next week or so but it seems I prices some 6" at $.69 sf a month or so ago. Glenda likes the look so I'll have to look into it. Right now I'm building the gable end with a 36" soffit just because all of the steel buildings use just a 12" if any at all. And stick framed metal buildings never go over 2'. Of course the using of the structural standing seam complicates things, wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 05-10-2021, 05:22 AM   #10537

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Harv, the tracks around here are split between American Racer and Hoosier, we have one bay in the shop dedicated just to tires, LOL makes it tough, we have just enough rims, (beadlock and regular) that we don't have to change too many tires each week, just prep, that pretty much take up a good half a day, we wash them twice, once just to get the muck off then spray them with Super Green and 10 min or so hose'm down again, then it's inspection time and decide what to do with each one. Then they get ground with ether 80 grit sandpaper or a special grinding pad made just for tires, depending on where they are going we ether sipe the tire or groove, the ones you see on the car have been siped to build heat quickly in a heat race which is 8 laps, the other tires are shrink wrapped and put in the rack for the feature. I'll get some pictures of that. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210409_204918.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	327827Click image for larger version

Name:	20210424_082419.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	327828
Old 05-10-2021, 06:31 AM   #10538

https://www.lesschwab.com/article/pe...re-siping.html

Hot diggitty! I learned something new today.

I used to believe that winning the lottery would mean that I could buy a ride, show up, get the feel goods, go out for an early breakfast with friends, and be ready for next weekend.

We’re doing the some stuff with the VA about the brain which could include some MRI’s to see how bad the damage really is from the concussions. Now I believe a special garage with a circle track simulator with trick sound stuff along with an odor injector putting some burnt rubber laced with a little ethanol might be better, definitely cheaper.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0082.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	327829

Here’s a shot of my happy place. When I need a smile here’s where I find some.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:50 PM   #10539

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Harv, nice ride! Well today we're putting up soffit, got tired of fighting with a robin that kept trying to build a nest, LOL needed to put it up anyway.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210511_143519.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	327977
Old 05-12-2021, 07:52 AM   #10540

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Harv, nice ride! Well today we're putting up soffit, got tired of fighting with a robin that kept trying to build a nest, LOL needed to put it up anyway.Attachment 327977
Robins can be persistent.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:18 AM   #10541

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Gordon, LOL this one has been trying for around 3 weeks, now it just can't figure out why he has a headache from trying to get into the eaves!
Old 05-12-2021, 08:32 AM   #10542

Here it's the sparrows that love to nest in the crooks and crannies on the framework of the building. I noticed the cowbirds doing their thing to the sparrows awhile back. The cowbirds push out the eggs of the sparrow and leave an egg of their own. Needless to say later the sparrows are wore slick trying to feed the cowbird baby that is three times their size before long.

But the cowbird babies have a serious problem. The sparrows don't react to their cries and neither do the cowbirds when it falls or prematurely leaves the nest. Normally when one of the cats grab an errant baby all heck breaks loose with the parents and friends trying to save the baby. But the cowbird baby is on its own so the cats can do their thing with no interruption.

Nature is amazing. The sparrow will feed the interloper but won't defend it.

We're going with a sealed soffit/attic because we're using closed cell foam for initial barrier insulation. Is that something y'all do up there? I see yours is vented.