Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2021, 10:03 AM   #1

Total roof replacement ???

Hi guys, I have a 1984, Fleetwood, Southwind, shorty 23’. The roof is in need of a lot of repair. I have the leaks stopped, but the substructure is soft. Is there anyone here that can give me a list of material, for a total roof rebuild. I want to have all materials on hand before I start. Seems the previous owner didn’t keep the roof maintainence too good. I use it to tow a drag car, and it’s the perfect size for me, so I don’t want to get rid of it. Thanks.
deanjonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2021, 08:54 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanjonas View Post
Hi guys, I have a 1984, Fleetwood, Southwind, shorty 23’. The roof is in need of a lot of repair. I have the leaks stopped, but the substructure is soft. Is there anyone here that can give me a list of material, for a total roof rebuild. I want to have all materials on hand before I start. Seems the previous owner didn’t keep the roof maintainence too good. I use it to tow a drag car, and it’s the perfect size for me, so I don’t want to get rid of it. Thanks.
First we’ll need to know what kind of roof it is.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 06:11 AM   #3

[QUOTE=amosnandy;5944366]First we’ll need to know what kind of roof it is.

It’s a membrane type, but I can see that. What I’m concerned with is, what I cannot see, without ripping the old roof off. The underlying material is obviously wood, that is rotting and soft. The outside is easy enough, I’ll just get a new membrane kit. What I need to know is what I can’t see, the specifics, what type wood, sizes, approximately how much, if I’ll need glues, and if so, what type ...ect. I really need to get all of the material before I start. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
deanjonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 06:22 AM   #4

Even on small projects it seems like 3 is the magic number for trips to the hardware store.

This is not a small project.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 06:43 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I have done 2 roofs, years back..
One was the older metal.. I tore out ceiling, took off metal.. replaced wood rafters and thin wood.. put metal back on with new edge caps. sealed it all well.. the coated .. funny thing is that old RV is about 5 miles away at a property, it is used for hunting.. Has a tarp, guy said skylights dont last like old ones did LOL.. ceiling was only stained from skylights WOW 25 years,,,

My other roof was that fiberon stuff.. on a buddys RV.. pealed it off, old wood came off but a pain.. inside was fair and useable.

We actually added 3/4 inch or maybe 1 inch foam, glued down.. the front transition was creative to match it in..
We used a thin luan wood glued also.. a few screws as we mapped marked the structure,,
He chose a pvc or fiberon type stuff. It was similar , came in a roll.. glued that dowm, took 4 of us.. pain.....
The made side caps in alum. He has a gutter business and had someone help bend/mold trim..
After it was done , sealed laps etc he used a white refective sealer.

I think he said it was under 3K for all the stuff and lots of beer and burgers in his pole barn....

I can say that if wood is bad, it is a job.. it can be done but depened on the RV..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 06:51 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Check out the videos of AZ Expert on you tube. He does a lot of replacing RV roofs. Other good videos as well. Good Luck!
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:12 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Have you looked at a spray on roof by Flex Armour? They replace all of the roof that is damage and after that spray on the material. We know several that went this route and are happy with the job. We are thinking about doing this to our rig, in a couple of years. I think they give a lifetime warranty on the job.

I think one of the locations is in NC. I know they have places in Dallas area and in Florida.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 10:33 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Likely it is 1/8" luann plywood under the membrane.
Old 10-10-2021, 12:34 PM   #9

If rubber roof Dicor has a lot of info and materials for roofing. If I was doing one all over I would the black butyl under moldings and roof vents instead of tan flat caulk rolls.
An recent owner used the new type of construction adhesive like Instafoam for luan is safe for foam as well.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 12:53 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
[QUOTE=deanjonas;5944504]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
First we’ll need to know what kind of roof it is.

It’s a membrane type, but I can see that. What I’m concerned with is, what I cannot see, without ripping the old roof off. The underlying material is obviously wood, that is rotting and soft. The outside is easy enough, I’ll just get a new membrane kit. What I need to know is what I can’t see, the specifics, what type wood, sizes, approximately how much, if I’ll need glues, and if so, what type ...ect. I really need to get all of the material before I start. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
There are several types of rubber membrane roofs. TPO and EPDM are the most common. In theory you could use Filon but depending on the roof coves it can be hard to work with.

Personally I like TPO. It is thicker and stronger. You can buy both TPO and EPDM in kits. They will come with everything you need except the underlayment.

The standard is 1/8” Luan. But it is in short supply. If possible I would try and get 1/8” marine grade plywood. Again hard to get but lasts forever. If it is completely flat you might find 3/16 plywood.

Depending on what comes in your kit and how bad the edge moldings are you may need to get them also. If they are solid 1 piece front to back I would try and save them. It requires a lot of cleanup but to get 20’ sections shipped is tough. Either way, if you save or replace you definitely want new vinyl inserts. They dry up and are worthless. Comes in a 100’ roll so you’ll have plenty.

And the #1 most important thing you will need to get is some help. Nothing worse than trying to pull a roof with glue drying right behind you.

Final thing. Some will tell you that you only need to glue the edges. I don’t buy it. Glue the whole thing down.
Old 10-10-2021, 01:03 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Oh, an I forgot to mention. You’ll want to get new roof vents, sewer caps, skylight, fridge vent and ac gasket. They are cheap and as old as they are will be brittle and not worth cleaning up.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, roof