Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2020, 07:44 PM   #1

TV antenna replacement

When we bought our 94 Bounder the antenna was damaged like it got caught on a tree limb. I tried to straighten it out but, no. We don't watch much TV so it was not high on the list of things to do. It's gone now.
It laid flat on the roof and cranked up from inside, or did when it worked. Winegard I think. I capped off the hole (it looks to be about 1 1/2 inches).

What replacement can I get to fit the same hole? Is there a digital antenna that would fit?
Any help is appreciated, Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2020, 08:17 PM   #2

Get the Wingard Sensar III with the Wingman. For OTA this is the best setup.

You will be in and out for 100 bucks plus your time to install.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:29 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have a King Jack HDTV antenna. Works great!!
They have a adapter plate that covers most previous antenna mounts.
Easy install and no more cranking up and down.
FCOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:53 PM   #4

We also have a Winegard Sensar power amplified antenna and it works works increadably well. We did not get the Wingman for it, and hear in the SF Bay Area we get close to 50 TV channels.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:02 PM   #5

nothing works better than the Wineguard Sensar III with the Wingman - direct replacement for your old Wineguard batwing antenna.

And FYI, no such thing as a "digital" antenna or an "HD" antenna. BS marketing crap.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:47 PM   #6

I did some searching and it seems that they are up to Sensar IV now.
I found some 3's for about $15 cheaper.
Should I go for 3 or 4? Is there a difference?
Old 01-21-2020, 08:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGrizz View Post
I did some searching and it seems that they are up to Sensar IV now.
I found some 3's for about $15 cheaper.
Should I go for 3 or 4? Is there a difference?
Yes, there’s a difference. The IV has the “Wingman” add-on that others have recommended, while the III does not. The Wingman is a set of director elements for UHF, and it increases the gain for channels 14-51. Like a lens for radio waves. Since most broadcasts are now in the UHF band, it’s worth it to increase the gain in that band, especially for $15. It really does work, too, and can be purchased as an add-on for an otherwise good Sensar III, which was developed for VHF mainly, long before DTV came about.

The main bat wing handles high-VHF channels (7-13). Low-VHF (2-6) is no longer used for TV except in a few special markets, like some parts of Alaska, and would require much longer elements for decent gain with weak signals, like the bad old days with gigantic TV antennas with some really long elements, on the roof, so no big loss that nothing is down there any more.

Doesn’t matter what channel number shows on the screen - most channels are broadcast on a different channel (‘real’ channel) than their channel number on the screen (‘virtual’ channel) since the transition to digital. In case the above was confusing.

And ditto the whole “digital” or “high-def” antenna bit of marketing tripe. The broadcast frequencies haven’t changed; only the information impressed on that carrier wave. Like changing from voice to fax on a phone line - the line still carries it and doesn’t care. I’m using rabbit ears from the 50’s in my office in fact.

If you want to see what the signals in your (or any) area look like, sites like tvfool.com will generate a list of stations with ‘real’ and ‘virtual’ channel numbers, direction and distance to the towers, noise margin (like signal strength), terrain, and some other variables. Just FYI.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:23 PM   #8

Money wise it is the same cost for the III plus Wingman as the IV with the Wingman on it already. Get the Sensar IV snd save the 20 minutes it takes to bolt it up.

Tags
ace, antenna, replace, replacement