Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2019, 11:12 AM   #1

Unable to release Parking Brake

Have not driven it in quite a while, moved it out of the side yard to trim some trees and bush's and when I went to move it back the parking brake will not release.
It is an oshkosh mc-fr series with a big ford motor. According to the manual in this instance it is telling me I am low on either tranny fluid or brake fluid, I checked both the tranny was 2 qts low and both brake reservoir's were ok. what can I do to get the tranny brake to release?

Also the switch on the steering column to start the motor will not work, we had to just the start solenoid to get it started.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2019, 12:34 PM   #2

I have been told to pull the clevis pin between the actuator and the brake drum to release the parking brake.

My question what happens when I do that? Is something gonna jump. Can I drive once I do that? I see all the levers and things under there and I do not want to damage anything?
Any advice is good advice.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:12 PM   #3

Most times parking brakes are spring applied. That makes pulling pins difficult.

There should be a way to cage ( contain ) the spring pressure, so it releases.
Maybe some pictures will help.

Be sure to chock the wheels, so it doesn't run you over.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:26 PM   #4

Well I knocked the clevis pin out with a drift and a 2 pound hammer and sproing things snapped and fly and the brakes are released. We started her up, backed her up a bit to open the gates and drove it forward to it's parking place on the side of the house. Just gotta find what stopped working to make it lock up like that. That spring pressure is something, I tried to move things after the brake release and nothing moves easily, I still have the park position on the gear shift lever and that works.
Had to get it back in place today, in this neighborhood you cannot have Rv's or boats parked out front and I got my warning early this morning from code compliance and that means someone in the neighborhood called and turned me in for having it outside overnight.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:39 PM   #5

Next time it does that crawl under with a hammer and tap the brake drums and backing
Plate. Brake dust and sitting are problematic
With parking brakes. If nothing else just chock
The rear tires and don't set the parking brake.
Terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:29 AM   #6

Does anyone have any idea if the park brake system I am having trouble with has it's own pump and reservoir and if so where might they be located.

All the video's I found show the whole thing on the drivers side and all the linkage on mine was on the passenger side and what looked like a big cylinder assembly was on the drivers side.

Would pictures help ?
Old 03-04-2019, 09:14 AM   #7

I am trying to get decent photos of what is on either side of my driveshaft brake
Old 03-04-2019, 09:16 AM   #8

Did not work, any idea how to post photos from my computer?
Old 03-04-2019, 01:24 PM   #9

I think I know how to post a photo now.
I was under the coach studying the whole setup and I am more confused then ever, this is nothing like the parking brake setups I have seen on you tube.
On the right side is the linkage I disconnected, but I still have he brake light on the dash, so I looked closer and i see the linkage is moved by what appears to be a push pull cable coming down from the right side of the motor, when I go back into the coach I cannot find that cable in the engine box, I will have to wait until the wife gets home to help. In the meantime here are pictures of both sides of the tranny
the first picture is upside down but you see the push pull cable going to the linkage the third picture is the valve assembly sorta hidden in the second picture

Click image for larger version

Name:	vEYz1OPGSXa5CIZiYtC7Fw.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	236831

Name:	9XxZaNziRPWYS1T1ZsISXg.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	339.3 KB
ID:	236832

Name:	bdPjOArPRrOnDKswg9Hk6A.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	236833
Old 03-04-2019, 02:06 PM   #10

Follow the 2 lines in pix # 3. Looks like hydraulic pressure releases the brake. Steering pump maybe.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:38 PM   #11

If what I found is your system, Google it, your shift lever has a cam that moves the parking brake control valve. That may be part of the problem.

Here is a few screen shots.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-03-04-16-33-47.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	236846Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-03-04-16-33-12.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	236847Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-03-04-16-32-58.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	236848Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-03-04-16-31-33.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	236849Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-03-04-16-32-40.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	236850
Old 03-04-2019, 03:29 PM   #12

That looks very very similar to what I have. My wife and I just followed that push pull cable forward and up and across the rear of the engine over the bell housing and down the other side to that big cylinder in picture #2, It is all mechanical linkage but where does it get it's hydraulic pressure from?

Even tho I have the brake released I still have the brake light illuminated on the instrument panel?

Twinboat what is it called so I can google it
Old 03-04-2019, 05:41 PM   #13

I just found in the manual for the chassis, that there is a separate reserve electric hydraulic foot brake pump that actuates even if the engine is off, that is (I think) not part of the power brake system. The manual says to test this you should step on the brake with the ignition off and you should hear the pump running in the left front wheel well. I will test this tomorrow

This manual is weird, it has brake information scattered all over the place and not all in one section,

I also found it says the parking brake is released by the engine driven brake system pump, put gearshift lever out of park and in any other position and the brake should be released if the engine is running.

If the the engine is inoperable and off to put your foot is on brake pedal the gear shift in Neutral the pump will actuate and release the brake.

I don't think from what I am reading that the power steering pump has anything to do with the parking brake, someone please tell me if I am wrong

I just had to know so I went out and stepped on the brake and sure enough I heard a pump running.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
Have not driven it in quite a while, moved it out of the side yard to trim some trees and bush's and when I went to move it back the parking brake will not release.
It is an oshkosh mc-fr series with a big ford motor. According to the manual in this instance it is telling me I am low on either tranny fluid or brake fluid, I checked both the tranny was 2 qts low and both brake reservoir's were ok. what can I do to get the tranny brake to release?

Also the switch on the steering column to start the motor will not work, we had to just the start solenoid to get it started.
this advice comes from years in the towing industry: get a hammer and crawl under and hit the drum ,it will let go!
hope it helps
iamcaper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake