Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2011, 10:02 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unsure!!!! Help!

We have been seriously thinking of getting rid of the HR and buying a vintage RV. One, to get rid of the payment and two, git back to a simpler RV thats east to work on and troubleshoot. I'm an old-school shade-tree and can fix damn near anything is its of the "older" vintage like is in my sig.

I've found a 1972 Avco, 28' class A on an International MHC 1510 chassis with a 392 and auto trans with 63K on the clock. New tires and in awesome condition, inside and out. Does anyone know anything about these units? I know that they were bought by Foretravel in the 80's and are steel and fiberglass construction. I would welcome any input from ya'll.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2011, 03:25 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainkowboy View Post
We have been seriously thinking of getting rid of the HR and buying a vintage RV. One, to get rid of the payment and two, git back to a simpler RV thats east to work on and troubleshoot. I'm an old-school shade-tree and can fix damn near anything is its of the "older" vintage like is in my sig.

I've found a 1972 Avco, 28' class A on an International MHC 1510 chassis with a 392 and auto trans with 63K on the clock. New tires and in awesome condition, inside and out. Does anyone know anything about these units? I know that they were bought by Foretravel in the 80's and are steel and fiberglass construction. I would welcome any input from ya'll.
In another thread, I found a site by a Foretravel owner that seems to have a bountiful wealth of info on the Foretravels, have a look at my post here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/owner...tml#post780510
Old 01-31-2011, 05:21 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Here is a fledgling Avco web site with just a handful of members, but you may find some help there.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:43 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
The International 392 is one tough engine, but they are heavy and never were known for being fuel efficient. The trans is most likely a GM 400 or Chrysler 727 both are very good transmissions but limited with only three speeds and no over drive. One thing to keep in mind is how hard finding parts for that old "cornbinder" 392 would be? I know they still have quite a following in the 4X4 market but don't know about availability of parts if you break down on the road...
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:12 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
man, i would buy that rig in a minute. but, you have to love vintage.lol. after having my 1978 GMC Midas, i wouldn't trade it for any newer MH. i like my OLE' KOOT.lol.

Outlaw
Old 01-31-2011, 10:39 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the replies.

I'm well versed in old IH iron and parts are easy to get IF you know where to go, in fact thats one of the plus' of it. I was also thinking of doing a 7.3 diesel swap down the road.....staying IH of course, but going for better mpg and power. I think we will take a drive this weekend and check it out
Old 02-01-2011, 04:47 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

I'm well versed in old IH iron and parts are easy to get IF you know where to go, in fact thats one of the plus' of it. I was also thinking of doing a 7.3 diesel swap down the road.....staying IH of course, but going for better mpg and power. I think we will take a drive this weekend and check it out

The 7.3 swap sounds interesting, but how about being really different and going with a DT430 instead ? But, there ain't nothin' wrong with an IH gasser either.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Believe me if the 392 is in good shape and has been taken care of, it will last for DECADES! I guessing that the mpg would be around 7 or 8, I would guess that rig is around 18K gvwr with a gcwr of 22-25K. The 392 will handle the load, but a 7.3 wont even sweat it.

The DT430 would be interesting, but to an IH purist would be un-thinkable! As for favoring it over a newer moho, my DD is a 65 GMC flatface van or a 64 IH Scout 80. So I guess you could say that I'm kinda into old iron. I think that the transition will be easy!

Old 02-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
i luv them old vans. had a 60's something, can't remember the year, getting old. a great rig.

Outlaw
Old 02-02-2011, 04:41 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
The 7.3 swap sounds interesting, but how about being really different and going with a DT430 instead ? But, there ain't nothin' wrong with an IH gasser either.
Other than the fuel economy .
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:23 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Other than the fuel economy .
I didnt know that they had any economy

Goin to take a look-see and maybe a spin around the block on Friday with the ol' girl. He did send me some pics of the interior and it looks spotless. Rear bedroom, with what looks like a flip over....co-pilot/dinette seat setup cause I didnt see a captains chair on the passenger side. Will know more on Friday, I'll be sure to take some pics. He also has the origanal lit on the unit too.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:53 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
I didnt know that they had any economy

Goin to take a look-see and maybe a spin around the block on Friday with the ol' girl. He did send me some pics of the interior and it looks spotless. Rear bedroom, with what looks like a flip over....co-pilot/dinette seat setup cause I didnt see a captains chair on the passenger side. Will know more on Friday, I'll be sure to take some pics. He also has the origanal lit on the unit too.
You'd be surprised... The old 7.3 and the earlier 5.9 Cummins are popular motors amongst the truck camper crowd because they average around 12 mpg under load and can pull larger hills without the need to lose speed and shifting gears.

That and 100,000 miles on a diesel is barely broken in. 300,000 or more on a diesel is the equivalent of the old 100,000 miles on a gas engine.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oh I know that, had a 97 Dodge CTD 12 valve non electronic, that I turned up to 375hp and towed a HR 27' 5er with. Averaged 14-15mpg towing and a solid 21 empty. That truck was a BEAST!!! Wish I still had it.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:15 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well.....it was a cool old moho, but for the money he wants for it and the repairs that I believe it will need........its a pass. We are still interested in going older RV, and are still looking.