Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2014, 03:25 PM   #1

Updating an out of style interior

Just got my 89 Winnie Chieftain and it is in awesome shape, but outdated. I plan to replace most of the blue carpeting. Will you share how you gave your RV a facelift or any ideas you may have?

I am not opposed to small remodeling jobs etc.

HELP !!
benjiray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2014, 05:22 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I think the easiest way to spruce up is by changing the upholstery and carpeting along with curtains.
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:36 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Congrats on the coach. Enjoy it.

Went from carpeting to tile and will not go back.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
We just bought an 89 Fleetwood, and the PO put in laminate floors and painted the walls, it has wood blinds so looks up to date. The only thing I will do is update the curtains in some of the windows. We love it and no one realizes it is as old as it is.
RBeau1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:00 AM   #5

86 winne chief

have tore out all carpet, i/4 in. plywood over metal in cab area, bought new lvp and carpet squares for the living floor and auto carpet for cab area, new wallpapering the walls. and getting ss splashes made for over the sink and around the stove, would like to find new covers for the captain chairs, and put a couch back where the table and benches were, it is hard for a old gimp like me who cant do much, have to work slow and cant carry very much, getting pretty useless in my old age, after my fall at work, da@#itt
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:00 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We left the 82 as was/is, outdated yes, but all in top conditions even the bronzeish carpet. One thing I am going to do is paint or re-wallpaper the old wallpaper in the rear sleeping areas. I tried to wash the walls but they didn't get any Better looking (dirty). We have come to like it as is, Vintage,old, classic, just like the owners
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #7

Spend some time searching this site for ideas. I tore out my carpet and was sure that I would put in laminate flooring. After research here I went vinyl, so happy. Carpet, window coverings, furniture, countertops, lighting.... start making your list.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:24 PM   #8

Re-modeling just takes time

We've spent nearly eight years on our old motorhome. Removing old stinky carpet, putting down laminate floor, painting all the wood (including cabinets), putting on new hardware, covered old wall tex with textured wall paper, and re-built dash. Also did new tile in the bathroom and replaced ratty countertops in the kitchen with tile.

You can't do it all at once. We bought enough wall paper, tile, and paint for the whole project, but just did a little at a time. Started at the bedroom and worked our way to the dash.

We threw out a lot of the old furniture and replaced with a couple comfortable leather recliners. Got some fold down tables from IKEA for $49. You can spend a fortune buying RV stuff at the RV store or you can get better quality materials at Home Depot or Lowes for a whole lot less.

You can spend 5 or $600 a window on RV shades or get similar shades at HD for less than $100 a window. The trick is to figure out how to get a good mounting scheme on walls made out of 1/8" luan.

Replacing carpet, shades, and other fabric materials will make your coach smell so much better. You'll also find that on older coaches they carpet the entire interior and build the cabinets on top of it. You can either remove all the interior walls and cabinets or get some sharp carpet knives to cut the carpet out.

We used a ton of painter's caulk, sand paper, super primer, and paint. We also put in a lot hard work. Our coach is old in years, but it's like a comfortable living room to us. We argue that we'd cringe putting our two dogs in new coach. We're comfortable and really feel like we are "home" on the road.

Good luck!!
Old 09-18-2014, 09:22 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Al and Sue;
Sounds like a new coach to me with all of the work you have done.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #10

Thanks for the great ideas, yes make a list . . . . .
benjiray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:38 PM   #11

2003 Four Winds

Before...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	76931  
Old 10-19-2014, 08:39 PM   #12

After....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	76932  
Old 11-05-2014, 12:24 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We bought a 88 Fleetwood Jamboree great condition but was really outdated too. Replace all the dusty ugly mini blinds in off white wow that made a HUGE difference. Bought some curtains and re-did them for all windows. Put down some pretty blue rugs I cut them to fit walkway looks good Tired to wall paper (faux finish) wet and sick it only stayed on for a couple weeks bummer. Now looking for another option for covering up the older wall paper. Paint? don't know? Good luck!
jaydar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:51 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Have you checked out Menards? they have 4x8 sheets of panels with different designs. I don't think they weight 10 lbs a sheet. I have been giving that some serious consideration.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote