Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #15

It's funny how everyone presumes that I have duallys...

My RV only has single wheels, LT245/75/16 's

I was lucky and picked up 4 x Hankooks for $580 plus tax.

I didn't realize that they only had 1" brass valve stems in stock and only realized later that inflating the tires all last winter was a real pain in the a**
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
If you do extend a hole, extend the opposite hole too. Or, all of them

edit: Oh, and use a Dremel or other grinder.. dont snip.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
If you do extend a hole, extend the opposite hole too. Or, all of them

edit: Oh, and use a Dremel or other grinder.. dont snip.
If I end up enlarging the hole, I will try and do the one on the opposite side also :(

Since I am frugal but also don't enjoy complicating my life, I have an appt tomorrow morning with a truck tire shop that will install some 4" brass valve stems (pictured below) and hopefully the bend in it will line up with the holes in the hubcaps.

If that is the case, @ a $100-120 will solve my dilemma and allow me to drive without having valve extensions on to potentially leak or cause a blow out.

This way I won't have to find or buy a dremel etc...

I just wish that the original tire shop that installed my 4 new tires had mentioned or at least ordered the proper length of brass valve stems... (it would have been so much easier, but that's where experience comes in)

IAN...

PS: women love to buy shoes or purses, and men like their toys ... (in my case 4 brass valve stems) lollll
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brass-valve-stems.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	27454  
Old 10-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
If they dont line up with an existing hole, you'll need to find a way to mark where they do line up, then simply drill a hole there. Might even get lucky and have the valve stems protrude a little.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
If they dont line up with an existing hole, you'll need to find a way to mark where they do line up, then simply drill a hole there. Might even get lucky and have the valve stems protrude a little.

The tire shop also mentioned that he could use straight 4" valve stems and bend them to the appropriate angle and length to have them protruding through the existing hubcap holes.

I think the 4 inch length will even have them sticking out @ 1 inch

This way I wouldn't have to dremel out 8 holes in the stainless steel hubcaps.

I hope it works out tomorrow and I may even shine up the tires with some UV 303 Protectant spray

I'll try and post pictures.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #20

Well, I finally finished at the tire shop this morning. They installed 4" brass valve stems and they used a small pipe bender to bend them so they extend @ 1 inch past the hubcap.

It cost me $120 to have the tires removed, remove the old valves, install the new ones, balance the wheels, and re-install the wheels on the RV.

It took @ 2 hrs labour and the 4" brass valve stems are @ $4 each.

I now know that when you have new tires installed, make sure that the tire shop installs valves that work with your hubcaps. Do it than and there instead of waiting later because it will cost you to remove and re-install everything. I didn't realize it when I had then originally done, but now I KNOW

Now I feel much better knowing that my tires are properly inflated and it's simple to check for proper pressure and can be easily inflated. All of this so that it reduces the chance of running flat and reduces the risk of a blow out

Did anyone notice the tires? UV 303 Protectant does a nice job doesn't it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	27459   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	27460  

Old 10-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
that is a freakishly looking rv

i would see no problem with opening up the hole on the hub cap

do a little at a time and then check the fit and clearance
Hey Powerboatr, what do you use to keep those wheels/hubcaps so sparkly?
Old 10-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by imorton View Post
Well, I finally finished at the tire shop this morning. They installed 4" brass valve stems and they used a small pipe bender to bend them so they extend @ 1 inch past the hubcap.

It cost me $120 to have the tires removed, remove the old valves, install the new ones, balance the wheels, and re-install the wheels on the RV.

It took @ 2 hrs labour and the 4" brass valve stems are @ $4 each.

I now know that when you have new tires installed, make sure that the tire shop installs valves that work with your hubcaps. Do it than and there instead of waiting later because it will cost you to remove and re-install everything. I didn't realize it when I had then originally done, but now I KNOW

Now I feel much better knowing that my tires are properly inflated and it's simple to check for proper pressure and can be easily inflated. All of this so that it reduces the chance of running flat and reduces the risk of a blow out

Did anyone notice the tires? UV 303 Protectant does a nice job doesn't it?
Beautiful Job! Very nice! Does the UV 303 stay on for a while? I read somewhere that those protectants can damage the tires? Not the 303 though, right?

Also, WOW those wheels/hubcaps look shiny! I am working on mine soon, gonna take them off and detail them, then I want to put something on them that lasts a long time and is easily kept clean....just don't know what it would be yet.....
Old 10-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
imorton, great job! I like that you took the bull by the horns and solved this issue!

You get a Gold Star!

Old 10-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Hey Powerboatr, what do you use to keep those wheels/hubcaps so sparkly?
I just spray 303 Protectant on them. I just started using it on tires and find it simple and it is a UV blocker for vinyl, rubber, decals, etc.....

I have been using it for years on my inflatable dinghy since it sits in the sun all the time.

The hubcaps are common stainless steel 16" universal truck caps. A little UV 303 makes them shine too...
Old 10-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #25

Quote:
Beautiful Job! Very nice! Does the UV 303 stay on for a while? I read somewhere that those protectants can damage the tires? Not the 303 though, right?

Also, WOW those wheels/hubcaps look shiny! I am working on mine soon, gonna take them off and detail them, then I want to put something on them that lasts a long time and is easily kept clean....just don't know what it would be yet.....
I did a fair amount of research on 303 and from what I can tell it is working well for many folks. i like the simple application, spray it on and its done.

I also detailed or did the whole RV with Zep Floor Finish and it shines too... Maybe that would be good for older not shiny hubcaps.. (just a thought and maybe "Mop & Glo" is worth a test)

I was unlucky as I lost one hubcap in Tennessee and I looked through Craigslist and luckily found a chap that had 4 good ones for $10 each so now I have 3 spares
Old 10-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #26

Quote:
imorton, great job! I like that you took the bull by the horns and solved this issue!

You get a Gold Star!

Hmmmmm... it's been a while since I got a Gold Star...

I would like to have saved $120 dollars, but, I also know that a flat, a blow out, the hassle, the price of a new tire, the damage from a flat or blow out will easily make me wish I had done it right the first time.

From the other side of the coin I don't even want to consider losing control of a 23ft 10,000lb vehicle from a blow out at 60mph, wow, I don't need that excitement nor want to end up in the ditch. That would surely ruin my day

Now when if I run 65-70 mph and during hot weather, at least I can feel better.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What jfran304 said?

X2 and then some!!!!

I have prescisely that set up and it is very easy and completely accessible.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
What jfran304 said?

X2 and then some!!!!

I have prescisely that set up and it is very easy and completely accessible.

Oops got in a little late---scratch this except the part about the valve caps.

Nice looking job, MH and tires and congrats.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote